My new truck!

Started by SVT_Power, March 09, 2021, 01:57:17 PM

SVT_Power

Man it's been so long since I've been able to post about a new vehicle  :lol:

I bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn North Edition. Crew cab, V6. (And for those who care, equipment level 2 package, bed utility group, offroad group, and 3.55 axle).

It's not exactly how I would've spec'd it from the factory if I had the choice but it's pretty close and for how much of a discount I got for it because it's a leftover 2020 model, I'm not complaining.

I'm looking at getting some black wheels, probably gonna stay with 18" and enjoy the meaty tires.

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

shp4man

FoMoJo

Very nice. :ohyeah:

Is that a dark blue or just the sky reflecting off a shiny black?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

RomanChariot

Nice looking truck. I would stay with the stock size wheels. You'll have a smoother ride.

Laconian

Cool! What's the towing capacity, out of curiosity?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Speed_Racer

Truckspin! :rockon: Nice color choice

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SVT_Power

Quote from: Laconian on March 09, 2021, 04:08:23 PM
Cool! What's the towing capacity, out of curiosity?

7410 lbs I think. But something tells me this V6 won't like that much trailer.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 09, 2021, 03:08:12 PM
Very nice. :ohyeah:

Is that a dark blue or just the sky reflecting off a shiny black?

It's a darker blue, although I wish it was even darker personally

CaminoRacer

TruckGang

I like the paint color. Get some bronze wheels to go with it but keep em 18"
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

veeman

Congratulations!  I'd love a crew cab pickup but I have nothing to tow or haul  :lol:  Looks great!

SVT_Power

Quote from: veeman on March 10, 2021, 04:33:25 AM
Congratulations!  I'd love a crew cab pickup but I have nothing to tow or haul  :lol:  Looks great!

Not like I have much to tow or haul either :lol:

I am gonna have to move around the country at least a couple of times with my motorcycle but this is gonna be a regular daily driver for me

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

SVT_Power

Update:

So I thought this truck would be pretty much bulletproof considering it's FCA's bread and butter. Apparently not. FCA gonn' FCA apparently.

I've been encountering a weird intermittent stuttering issue pretty much once or twice everyday after getting the truck home. It seems to be documented on the Ram forums to be a known issue, and the only solution (if you can call it that) seems to be flashing the PCM/TCM/DTCM for older builds and praying. So I had the local dealer do exactly that a couple of days ago. Made it a day before the issue happened again. Called the dealer again today, they said they're gonna do some research through their internal system and see if they can diagnose it.

Pretty fucking disheartening, considering I haven't even hit 500km with it yet.

FoMoJo

That sucks.  Can you return it, or exchange?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Payman

Quote from: SVT_Power on March 11, 2021, 08:09:46 AM
Update:

So I thought this truck would be pretty much bulletproof considering it's FCA's bread and butter. Apparently not. FCA gonn' FCA apparently.

I've been encountering a weird intermittent stuttering issue pretty much once or twice everyday after getting the truck home. It seems to be documented on the Ram forums to be a known issue, and the only solution (if you can call it that) seems to be flashing the PCM/TCM/DTCM for older builds and praying. So I had the local dealer do exactly that a couple of days ago. Made it a day before the issue happened again. Called the dealer again today, they said they're gonna do some research through their internal system and see if they can diagnose it.

Pretty fucking disheartening, considering I haven't even hit 500km with it yet.

Bring it back. INSIST on it. This is the beginning of a miserable ownership experience.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rockraven on March 11, 2021, 02:51:22 PM
Bring it back. INSIST on it. This is the beginning of a miserable ownership experience.
Yes.  He should take a few friends in uniform with him, the bigger the better.

Speed_Racer

At the very least, take it back and request a loaner, tell them to figure it out and call when they've 100% fixed it. None of the back and forth bandaid solutions.

SVT_Power

The problem is it only appears once or twice a day for a couple of seconds at a time. And if the techs can't reproduce it, they can't fix it is basically their stance here. Understandable from their end, but extremely frustrating from mine. I might suggest a OBD data logger route to exactly show them what's happening.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: SVT_Power on March 11, 2021, 06:26:45 PM
The problem is it only appears once or twice a day for a couple of seconds at a time. And if the techs can't reproduce it, they can't fix it is basically their stance here. Understandable from their end, but extremely frustrating from mine. I might suggest a OBD data logger route to exactly show them what's happening.

Its a brand new truck, I don't think it is at all understandable from their point of view. If they can't figure out how to fix it they should either give you a new one or give you your money back. If they can't fix it then it is basically a lemon.

Payman

I hope the dealer's not Spelmer, they have a terrible reputation around here.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Rockraven on March 12, 2021, 06:58:08 AM
I hope the dealer's not Spelmer, they have a terrible reputation around here.

Ha. The first ram I went to go look at was Spelmer. They immediately gave me a bad feeling because of how they were fudging the numbers to make it look like they were doing me a favor but it was pretty evident from the get go that they weren't. Then the joker of a salesman kept trying to pressure me into taking the deal even when I said I don't think it's the truck for me. And when I told them politely that I would like to work with them to order a 2021 since they're the local dealer, the fucking joker replied with "Can't. They don't exist"  :facepalm: :hammerhead:

Anyway I bought it from a Toronto dealer, but have been in touch with Belleville Dodge on the old hwy over the issues.

SVT_Power

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 12, 2021, 06:23:13 AM
Its a brand new truck, I don't think it is at all understandable from their point of view. If they can't figure out how to fix it they should either give you a new one or give you your money back. If they can't fix it then it is basically a lemon.

It's not a matter of how are they gonna fix it, it's just they don't know what to fix because they (nor I) can reproduce the problem. And I obviously can't prove it that these things happened when I can't make them happen on demand.

With that said, I drove the truck around for a little while yesterday and really made sure to try to reproduce the problem (it generally happens under certain parameters, but just not always) and the truck didn't act up at all. So maybe, just maybe flashing the modules did the trick.

I know this is a very drastic move, but I've also considered just trading the fucking thing in for a F150. With the 30% off sticker I got, the trade in value should be pretty damn close to what I paid for it. And since trade in value is pre-tax, the tax I paid on the truck will be saved as well.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: SVT_Power on March 12, 2021, 07:22:35 AM
I know this is a very drastic move, but I've also considered just trading the fucking thing in for a F150. With the 30% off sticker I got, the trade in value should be pretty damn close to what I paid for it. And since trade in value is pre-tax, the tax I paid on the truck will be saved as well.

I don't think that would be too drastic considering the circumstances, particularly if the trade in offer is anywhere near what you paid.

shp4man

Some customers get fixated on some little perceived issue with a new vehicle. Happens all the time, I've dealt with many.
The computer that runs the powertrain needs to learn how you drive and how to adjust idle speed and trans shifting.
Give it a while.
Fords aren't perfect either. No manufacturers are perfect .

MX793

Quote from: SVT_Power on March 12, 2021, 07:22:35 AM
It's not a matter of how are they gonna fix it, it's just they don't know what to fix because they (nor I) can reproduce the problem. And I obviously can't prove it that these things happened when I can't make them happen on demand.

With that said, I drove the truck around for a little while yesterday and really made sure to try to reproduce the problem (it generally happens under certain parameters, but just not always) and the truck didn't act up at all. So maybe, just maybe flashing the modules did the trick.

Was just about to say "shoulda bought a Ford".  Although the latest F150s apparent have no corrosion protection on their rear axles.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

My brother-in-law's brother bought a Ford F-350, paid over $80K for it. He bought a fiberglass cap for it, and couldn't get it to line up properly. One side would be straight but the other side way off and on an angle, and one corner higher than the other. He thought the cap was poorly made, but he discovered it was actually the truck bed that was all out of whack. I don't know how it all turned out, but he was livid at the time.

Payman

Quote from: shp4man on March 12, 2021, 08:41:48 AM
Some customers get fixated on some little perceived issue with a new vehicle. Happens all the time, I've dealt with many.
The computer that runs the powertrain needs to learn how you drive and how to adjust idle speed and trans shifting.
Give it a while.
Fords aren't perfect either. No manufacturers are perfect .

Interesting, and I hope that's the case for Eddie, but why wouldn't the idiot dealer guys mention that to him? If true, this isn't common knowledge.

Payman

Eddie, if you do look at a Ford, have a good eyeball at the aluminum body lining up everywhere.

shp4man

Quote from: Rockraven on March 12, 2021, 09:26:15 AM
Interesting, and I hope that's the case for Eddie, but why wouldn't the idiot dealer guys mention that to him? If true, this isn't common knowledge.

It's called "adaptive strategy". The ECM records the way a person drives and adapts to that style.