My new truck!

Started by SVT_Power, March 09, 2021, 01:57:17 PM

SVT_Power

Quote from: shp4man on March 18, 2021, 10:00:03 AM
Ask them if anybody checked the mode 6 data for misfires. If they say "what's that?" Go to another dealership.

I had never heard of this (not surprisingly), but so a scanner can pick up previous issues on mode 6 that didn't trigger a CEL?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Laconian

Ask them if anybody checked the mode 6 data for misfires. If they say "what's that?" Go to another dealership.

What's that?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on March 18, 2021, 02:59:21 PM
What's that?

Diagnostic mode.

There are thresholds for malfunctions that have to be met before a CEL is on or a normal trouble code is set. But, lots of things can be just under that threshold and still effect the engine performance.

Mode 6 lets you run a diagnostic and then see those numbers in list form- whether they're good or bad or whatever.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

You should definitely see a misfire count per cylinder in mode 6
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT_Power

The service manager literally replied to my email where I mentioned if they checked with mode 6, "I'm not sure what mode 6 is referencing. Do you have a link or narrative you can share."  :mask: So I told him my understanding of mode 6 and the theory of maybe it's misfiring but for whatever reason it's not triggering the parameters for a CEL.

I'm gonna assume his techs aren't as clueless, but who knows...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Quote from: shp4man on March 12, 2021, 08:41:48 AM
Some customers get fixated on some little perceived issue with a new vehicle. Happens all the time, I've dealt with many.
The computer that runs the powertrain needs to learn how you drive and how to adjust idle speed and trans shifting.
Give it a while.
Fords aren't perfect either. No manufacturers are perfect .

Well the service manager and the tech apparently had a call with the engineers about my truck and this is basically what the engineers said.

The service manager gave me some long spiel about how the hybrid system is very powerful and it's brand new and it's still being figured out etc etc. But the long and short of it was that the engineers said the car doesn't have enough kms on it for the computers to learn my habits and that it'll fix itself over time. The engineers said the situation I described is making it sound like the hybrid system is kicking in at the same time that the transmission is trying to figure out which gear to be in (medium speed, high gear, low rpm + load created by pedal input that's not quite enough to immediately warrant a downshift). They seemed to have described it as a quirk but operating within designed parameters, and that it'd go away in time.

At this point the service manager said just try to enjoy the truck until at least the first oil change (I'm at around 1000 miles now, I'm gonna do a change at home soon from having read some alarming things about people finding metal bits in their oil change even after the initial 3000 miles). I feel like they're just trying to buy time and hoping the problem will go away by itself, but either way I told the service manager I'll try to drive it for a few more thousand kms before I reengage with them if I need to.

CaminoRacer

TIL new RAMs have a tiny hybrid motor
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 23, 2021, 07:06:24 PM

Ha! After years of rolling coal in the faces of hybrid drivers, RAM owners are getting force-feminized!

SVT_Power

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 23, 2021, 07:06:24 PM

Standard on the V6, optional on the Hemi

SVT_Power

Quote from: Laconian on March 23, 2021, 07:09:05 PM
Ha! After years of rolling coal in the faces of hybrid drivers, RAM owners are getting force-feminized!

Wish I could afford a diesel truck  :lol:

68_427

So I'm obviously 3 pages late, but the RAM would be my pick over all the other fullsize trucks.  The others just don't compare to the comfort in the RAM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2uE_W8ucg0
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT_Power

Finally used the truck for the main reason I bought a truck for (even though I'm realistically only going to use it for this once or twice a year at most):

Speed_Racer

Good looking truck! How difficult did you find loading the bike w/ ramps? I did it once and swapped my ramp for a hitch carrier.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Speed_Racer on June 02, 2021, 09:18:26 AM
Good looking truck! How difficult did you find loading the bike w/ ramps? I did it once and swapped my ramp for a hitch carrier.

I was always very happy that my El Camino is lowered whenever I put my old bike in the back. A normal size pickup would have been twice the effort.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Speed_Racer

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 02, 2021, 09:21:09 AM
I was always very happy that my El Camino is lowered whenever I put my old bike in the back. A normal size pickup would have been twice the effort.

It's scary when you're solo! I don't know how people deal with lifted trucks

SVT_Power

I found loading it wasn't bad. Had a buddy standing on the other side just to make sure I didn't lose it that way, but didn't end up needing his help.

Unloading was definitely scarier. I initially started unloading by myself (I was taking it to a shop to get new tires put on), then found myself in a precarious position before one of the shop guys happened to peek out and he gave me a hand by grabbing the tail and keep it straight. I'm honestly not sure if I could've done it by myself.

I didn't realize until today I could've just gotten a hitch carrier for like $50 more than the ramps, I'm thinking maybe I should try to return the ramps and get the carrier. Definitely would be way more manageable as a one person job.

SVT_Power

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 02, 2021, 09:21:09 AM

Quote from: Speed_Racer on June 02, 2021, 10:54:42 AM
It's scary when you're solo! I don't know how people deal with lifted trucks

I definitely could've done without even the factory 1" lift this truck has :lol:

JWC

So....there is a reason for the Carolina Squat trucks.

Laconian

Quote from: JWC on June 02, 2021, 02:23:11 PM
So....there is a reason for the Carolina Squat trucks.

Supply shortage on matching suspension parts?

Speed_Racer

Quote from: SVT_Power on June 02, 2021, 01:43:40 PM
I didn't realize until today I could've just gotten a hitch carrier for like $50 more than the ramps, I'm thinking maybe I should try to return the ramps and get the carrier. Definitely would be way more manageable as a one person job.

I like it a lot better - easier to use the engine/clutch to assist getting it on and off too. Just grab a hitch clamp, they tend to wobble.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Submariner

Nice looking rig.  When are you going to slam the rear suspension?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

SVT_Power

So been just over a year since I got the truck. I've put on almost exactly 20,000 km now (12.5k miles). I did over 3500km/2000miles going out to the east coast and back last summer and it was a great road trip vehicle. I put my SV in the back along with my belongs in the rear of the cab and drove out to Saskatchewan during the fall where I am for now.

Things I can think of:

- The weird stuttering issue seems to be almost gone. It had been months since it happened, but I did get a little moment of it last month at some point.
- I've averaged 12.5L/100km or 18.8 mpg over lifetime so far according to fuelly. Before the winter, I was averaging probably right around 20 mpg.
- There has been a couple of times I'm getting a scratchy sound out of one of the speakers, I was going to take it in but I haven't been able to replicate it consistently. So it'll be something I keep in mind before the warranty runs out

With that all said, I have kind of wished I got the V8 because V8 :lol: . I could've gotten a V8 if I gave up the crew cab for the extended cab, which also would've gotten me the longer bed which would've allowed me to close the tailgate with the bike in the back. But considering I was able to stuff the rear of the cab with all of my stuff while moving, I am glad I had that extra space.

All in all, she's been good to me so far. I still very much enjoy driving it, especially considering the road conditions out here (holy f'ing potholes batman, and I thought Ontario had some bad ones). If I wasn't in the circumstances I am in (needing to move bunch of my stuff around the country along with a motorcycle) would I still buy a truck? Probably not. But it's convenient for my needs right now and it's certainly not terrible to drive.

Speed_Racer

19/20 mpg average ain't bad for what it is!

SVT_Power

Quote from: Speed_Racer on March 21, 2022, 02:32:43 PM
19/20 mpg average ain't bad for what it is!

That's the only upside to getting the V6  :lol:

I could be getting slightly better even still if I didn't have the factory 1" lift, bigger wheels, and the optional 3.55 rear end (vs 3.21). But I can't complain too much.

AutobahnSHO

Yeah that's better then my Odyssey gets driving around town...
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Jeep gets like 8 MPG right now because it never warms up.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT_Power

The truck originally came with Falken Wildpeak AT3Wa's on 18's, I sold those after getting a set of second hand 20" wheels with Bridgestone Duelers on them, and just today got Falken Wildpeak AT3W's put on.

I haven't had snow/winter-rated tires in 5 years now thanks to the military putting the Sorento winters into storage when I enrolled.

This fucking province doesn't believe in road salt (and they barely plow to begin with) so the roads have already turned into patches of ice with some dirt/gravel on them and will stay that way until probably April.

The Falkens couldn't do much on ice, but I tried driving through some snow and they were excellent.

Bonus of the tire purchase - even though my spare is still on the original 18" wheel, now I have a quasi-matching spare since it's on basically the same tire :lol:

FoMoJo

Which Province are you in?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SVT_Power