Mazda To Debut 13 Electrified Vehicles By 2025, Shows Next 6’s New Inline-6 RWD

Started by cawimmer430, June 19, 2021, 01:56:34 AM

cawimmer430

Mazda To Debut 13 Electrified Vehicles By 2025, Shows Next 6's New Inline-Six RWD Platform

Mazda today revealed the 5-point plan that will guide its technology and product development until 2030. The plan includes the introduction of 13 electrified vehicles between 2022 and 2025 as well as some level of electrification for 100% of its vehicles by 2030.

The five points are: the accumulation of technological assets for high-efficiency manufacturing; the promotion of electrified products; the promotion of human-oriented safety technologies to achieve an accident-free society; development of connected technologies; and a human-centered development philosophy in a time defined by carbon neutrality.

The first point of the plan will focus on the most basic elements of vehicles. Building on its SKYACTIV platform, the company will continue to work on its internal combustion engines, like the new straight-six, but will integrate them into the "SKYACTIV Multi-Solution Scalable Architecture." The updated platform will allow Mazda to integrate more and more electrification into (eventually) all of its vehicles whether they feature a transverse or longitudinal engine.

The Japanese company gave us our first glimpse of the RWD (and available AWD) platform that will be used on the next Mazda6 as well at least one crossover, with a "large gasoline" and "large diesel" engine, both featuring a 48v mild-hybrid system, and a "large gasoline" engine with plug-in hybrid tech.

By 2025, the company's "SKYACTIV EV Scalable Architecture" will be used for EVs of multiple sizes. Together, the technologies should allow Mazda to develop new vehicles quickly by sharing technological assets.

Five Hybrids, Five PHEVs And Three EVs

That will facilitate the second prong of Mazda's "Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030" plan that will see the company release five hybrids, five plug-in hybrids, and three EVs between 2022 and 2030. These models will mainly be intended for the Japanese, European, American, Chinese, and ASEAN markets. By 2030 the automaker plans to have electrified 100% of its models and for EVs to make up a quarter of all its vehicles.

The third point of the plan will be centered largely around the "Mazda Co-pilot Concept," which monitors drivers and can switch to autonomous driving if it detects a sudden change in the driver's physical condition, bringing the car to a safe stop. Mazda plans to introduce the tech in 2022.

Over-The-Air Updates

Fourth, will see Mazda update the software in its cars to allow over-the-air updates. It has also joined a standard engineering agreement with four other Japanese OEMs to push for standardized communication and connected services. This, says the company, will allow for stress-free and faster connections between vehicles and devices. All of which will build towards a next-generation Electric/Electronic Architecture for speedy processing inside and out of a vehicle.

The final part of the plan widens the scope a bit and seeks to put the planet, society, and humanity at the center of its development.

"In line with our corporate vision, Mazda aims to become a brand that creates special bonds with customers by enriching their lives with an experience of car ownership that provides joy of driving, the pure essence of cars," the company writes.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2021/06/mazda-to-debut13-electrified-vehicles-by-2025-shows-next-6s-new-straight-six-rwd-platform/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

I thought Mazda announced that the 6 was being discontinued after this year?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on June 19, 2021, 07:39:27 AM
I thought Mazda announced that the 6 was being discontinued after this year?
The current one...... it's supposedly coming back as the second coming of the E46

I'm more interested in their EVs.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 19, 2021, 01:10:13 PM
The current one...... it's supposedly coming back as the second coming of the E46

I'm more interested in their EVs.

"Discontinued" generally implies "no further models to come".

When a company intends to introduce an all new generation, they don't announce that the current model is "discontinued".
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrH

I think there's going to be a model year gap between them at least though, maybe two?  I'm guessing it might be rebranding the Mazda 60 too.  It sounds like the CX-5 is going to split into the CX-5 and the CX-50.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

I wanted to get hopes up on an I6 RWD Mazda... But it will either be DOA or 4 years late and have 200hp instead of 400hp
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

cawimmer430

Quote from: r0tor on June 19, 2021, 06:45:55 PM
I wanted to get hopes up on an I6 RWD Mazda... But it will either be DOA or 4 years late and have 200hp instead of 400hp

By that time it probably won't be allowed on European and American roads thanks to the CO2 and climate hysteria. :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on June 19, 2021, 01:14:39 PM
"Discontinued" generally implies "no further models to come".

When a company intends to introduce an all new generation, they don't announce that the current model is "discontinued".
Might be getting a name change
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Morris Minor

Getting into my CX-5 in the off-airport parking garage, after a two-week trip, was a joy. Its radar-cruise worked really well in the stop-start freeway traffic going through Atlanta; it's noticeably smarter that the one in my unlamented CR-V. I didn't touch the brake or gas pedals for about five miles.

Mazda makes lovely cars.
Their main weak point is their low-grade dealership network.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși