Hybrid trucks and towing

Started by Laconian, November 01, 2021, 12:15:50 PM

Laconian

My parents asked me whether the F150 Hybrid's electric motor would help with RV towing. Apparently it gets a 20% fuel economy boost. But for long-distance RV towing, it seems to me that the utility of hybrid motor would be pretty limited. You don't really have the regenerative stop and go scenario which is when hybrids typically shine. Unless... it uses the alternator to gently recharge that 1.5kWh battery? And maybe the hybrid motor is more to ease the demand for boost...?

In any case, $80k for a truck, JFC parents - don't spend so much to save a few bucks on gas :banghead:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

shp4man

The hybrid F150 has a conventional 10 speed auto and an additional electric motor that doubles as a generator during regen braking.
So it does save some fuel.
It is more complicated and may be more expensive to service.

Laconian

Quote from: shp4man on November 01, 2021, 01:30:04 PM
The hybrid F150 has a conventional 10 speed auto and an additional electric motor that doubles as a generator during regen braking.
So it does save some fuel.
It is more complicated and may be more expensive to service.

It feels like a very, very expensive Rube Goldberg machine.

The reason why I'm wondering if it's useful for RV hauling is because you could frequently encounter sustained hill climbs which flatten the hybrid battery with no chance to recharge. 1.5kWh is a pittance for moving around five tons of mass. My lil' electric outboard has a battery that's almost that big.

shp4man

Most pickups sold these days don't actually work very much. If I was buying an F150 towing vehicle, I would opt for the 5.0 V8 with a low rear axle ratio and a towing package.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on November 01, 2021, 01:31:18 PM
It feels like a very, very expensive Rube Goldberg machine.

The reason why I'm wondering if it's useful for RV hauling is because you could frequently encounter sustained hill climbs which flatten the hybrid battery with no chance to recharge. 1.5kWh is a pittance for moving around five tons of mass. My lil' electric outboard has a battery that's almost that big.

How long does your outboard battery last on hill climbs?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

AutobahnSHO

Ford seems to be using the hybrid just for getting going again, not sure how much they would use battery for hill climbing.

I haven't read much on the Maverick setup, but the hybrid doesn't even have reverse gear- uses battery. And they're officially 42mpg city, the battery is small enough to not be super heavy but useful enough to take a lot of load off the cvt.

Any towing is going to kill fuel economy on anything though! We get 28mpg at speed in Odyssey, but towing Miata I locked into no over drive (3rd or of five gears,), had cruise at 60mph (felt so slow!!!), And still only got like 15mpg...
Will

Laconian

Reverse gear using battery, that sounds like Toyota's planetary gear magic transmission!

GoCougs

It turned out that the Prius was Toyota's most reliable product, right up there with their best.

But as noted, the hybrid thing has been mostly returning negative environmental and financial ROI for 20+ years. Just buy a slightly used ("recycled") ICE-only version of the same model and get better said ROI as I see it.

As to towing, it will probably help. Even when cruising on the highway, hybrids when in max regen mode will micro regen. But then again, the average ICE-only 1/2-ton truck has WAY more than enough power for acceptable towing performance.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on November 03, 2021, 12:06:07 AM
But as noted, the hybrid thing has been mostly returning negative environmental and financial ROI for 20+ years. Just buy a slightly used ("recycled") ICE-only version of the same model and get better said ROI as I see it.

Ford's cheapest vehicle in the US is now going to be the Maverick. A hybrid 3600ish lbs Pickup which gets better city gas mileage than a Honda Civic. :confused:
And it starts close to $20k. :confused: :confused: :confused: (thanks Mexico!)

I "need" another car next fall. I DON'T "need" nor even consider new cars usually (All of the cars in my sig but two were $5k or less). I don't "need" a pickup but for the same/better gas mileage as most cars, better function, and new at a low price, why not? :huh:
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 03, 2021, 01:32:57 AM
Ford's cheapest vehicle in the US is now going to be the Maverick. A hybrid 3600ish lbs Pickup which gets better city gas mileage than a Honda Civic. :confused:
And it starts close to $20k. :confused: :confused: :confused: (thanks Mexico!)

I "need" another car next fall. I DON'T "need" nor even consider new cars usually (All of the cars in my sig but two were $5k or less). I don't "need" a pickup but for the same/better gas mileage as most cars, better function, and new at a low price, why not? :huh:

The Maverick is compelling, despite the few niggles I have with it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

Quote from: Laconian on November 01, 2021, 12:15:50 PM
My parents asked me whether the F150 Hybrid's electric motor would help with RV towing. Apparently it gets a 20% fuel economy boost. But for long-distance RV towing, it seems to me that the utility of hybrid motor would be pretty limited. You don't really have the regenerative stop and go scenario which is when hybrids typically shine. Unless... it uses the alternator to gently recharge that 1.5kWh battery? And maybe the hybrid motor is more to ease the demand for boost...?

In any case, $80k for a truck, JFC parents - don't spend so much to save a few bucks on gas :banghead:

Gas diesel or hybrid, that's the going rate for a new trailer towing rig.

Payman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 03, 2021, 05:22:24 AM
The Maverick is compelling, despite the few niggles I have with it.

Can't do the fwd hybrid with CVT, despite the impressive mileage. I'd totally rock the 250 hp 2.5l 8 speed PROPER auto 4x4. I built one online for just over $33K Cdn, which is pretty good. Might take a harder look in the spring.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rockraven on November 03, 2021, 05:58:15 AM
Can't do the fwd hybrid with CVT, despite the impressive mileage. I'd totally rock the 250 hp 2.5l 8 speed PROPER auto 4x4. I built one online for just over $33K Cdn, which is pretty good. Might take a harder look in the spring.

Word is they're probably all sold out (pre-orders) until next summer. Also saw that they've had plant shutdowns due to lack of supplies, not known if it's chips or other stuff.
Will