Hyundai Ioniq and Kia EV6 siblings

Started by Laconian, November 09, 2021, 11:09:53 AM

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ChrisV

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on November 09, 2021, 11:09:53 AM
The European reviewers are having a go at these purebred EVs... man, they're pretty compelling!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNdeLDeUBMk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WECQZZ7R8SQ

Watching the Ioniq 5 video now.

I love the concept.  Super long wheelbase, flat floor, short overhangs.  It's kind of like an ultra practical, bigger, hatchback.

Sadly, EV credit bill going through, this will only be $7,500, not $12,500.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on November 09, 2021, 11:09:53 AM
The European reviewers are having a go at these purebred EVs... man, they're pretty compelling!
Purebred EVs are the only way to go. I'd never buy an ICE vehicle that's an EV crossdresser.

When I was in London a couple of weeks ago I saw an Ioniq 5 on the forecourt of a Hyundai dealer. It was not the most salubrious part of town, & I thought, "Why can't we have these back home?" They're now available to order - if you live in one of the right states. Not to us knuckle-draggers in GA  :cry:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/vehicles/2022-ioniq-5

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

It's your penance for rolling coal.

We're going to test drive both of these cars as soon as they hit dealerships. They've gotten under our skin. I don't think they're taking preorders any more, though.

r0tor

The Inoiq style really reminds me of an 80s UR quattro rally car
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Ioniq 5 is the first V2G (Vehicle To Grid) compatible car. The car can exchange energy bidirectionally with the grid, acting as an offpeak buffer.
https://twitter.com/AukeHoekstra/status/1387514347518365698

Morris Minor

Robert Llewelyn - he's a committed greenie and dislikes its size and, through the lens of life for drivers in the UK, it is a big car. Over there you're really better off in something really small - particularly in & around the cities. But hey, we all buy more than we "need."
https://youtu.be/2-oUAyD6q9I

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on November 10, 2021, 11:11:59 PM
Ioniq 5 is the first V2G (Vehicle To Grid) compatible car. The car can exchange energy bidirectionally with the grid, acting as an offpeak buffer.
https://twitter.com/AukeHoekstra/status/1387514347518365698

Also proves the rather obvious thing that something like a AAA service truck in the future can be outfitted to recharge a dead EV roadside
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 11, 2021, 04:17:33 AM
Robert Llewelyn - he's a committed greenie and dislikes its size and, through the lens of life for drivers in the UK, it is a big car. Over there you're really better off in something really small - particularly in & around the cities. But hey, we all buy more than we "need."
https://youtu.be/2-oUAyD6q9I

Big for the UK is ideal for the US. It's actually smaller than the Outback.

Laconian

I'm seeing a lot of Renault Avantime in the profile of the Ioniq in blue... and I like what I see...

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 10, 2021, 05:46:30 AM
Purebred EVs are the only way to go. I'd never buy an ICE vehicle that's an EV crossdresser.

Yet the Ford Maverick hybrid is getting 42+mpg city. And can still do ICE duties!
Will

Laconian

https://carbuzz.com/news/kia-ev6-smashes-teslas-world-record

Kia EV6 Smashes Tesla's World Record
During the seven-day trip, the Kia EV6 was charged for a total of seven hours, 10 minutes, and one second. That was fast enough for it to set a new Guinness World Record for shortest charging time to cross the United States in an electric vehicle. Impressively, it shattered the previous record set by Tesla by more than five and a half hours. For reference, the Tesla needed to be charged for a total of 12 hours, 48 minutes, and 19 seconds.

Morris Minor

Laconian

Good review. I'll happily take build quality and a double digit CR reliability score over having my heart tickled with delicate fingers.

Laconian

Interesting, the Ioniq 5 has a heat pump for its cabin heating. That's going to be huge for folks in cold climates.

Laconian

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on November 27, 2021, 01:05:02 PM
Interesting, the Ioniq 5 has a heat pump for its cabin heating. That's going to be huge for folks in cold climates.

Heat pumps are power hungry (basically an air conditioner working in reverse).  There's a reason why they aren't used to heat homes in places that actually get sustained cold in the winter.  For as power hungry as it is, you'll find more homes with electric baseboard in cold climates than you will heat pumps.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

??? Heat pumps are much more efficient than resistive heating. Switching a home heat pump to "emergency heating" (toaster mode) makes the electric meter spin like a mofo...

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on November 27, 2021, 01:17:39 PM
??? Heat pumps are much more efficient than resistive heating. Switching a home heat pump to "emergency heating" (toaster mode) makes the electric meter spin like a mofo...

Not when temperatures get below freezing.  Heat pumps are fine when you're talking about providing heat when ambient air is chilly (40s and 50s).  Below 40, their efficiency really takes a dive.  Below 30F, you're better off with a different heat source.  They have to work very hard to pull heat from air that's sub freezing.

Like I said, you won't find heat pumps used for homes in places that experience sustained sub-freezing temperatures.  NY, Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio, Maine....  You'll find electric baseboard before you'll find a place relying on a heat pump in these climates.  If heat pumps were more efficient and cost effective than resistive heating elements in these climates, you would see them widely used over resistive heat.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

I think the IONIQ 5 looks ok, but it's HUGE for a supposed compact. I saw two of them today and they barely fit on the designated parking spots for EVs. One I saw today was parked next to a BMW X3 or X5 Plug-In Hybrid (can't tell them part) and the IONIQ 5 made the BMW SUV look tiny. Literally.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

Quote from: MX793 on November 27, 2021, 01:33:48 PM
Not when temperatures get below freezing.  Heat pumps are fine when you're talking about providing heat when ambient air is chilly (40s and 50s).  Below 40, their efficiency really takes a dive.  Below 30F, you're better off with a different heat source.  They have to work very hard to pull heat from air that's sub freezing.

Like I said, you won't find heat pumps used for homes in places that experience sustained sub-freezing temperatures.  NY, Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio, Maine....  You'll find electric baseboard before you'll find a place relying on a heat pump in these climates.  If heat pumps were more efficient and cost effective than resistive heating elements in these climates, you would see them widely used over resistive heat.

There is heat pump tech out there that now goes down to around 10deg F and remain efficient.  Combine that with some heat recovery from the batteries and motors and the system would probably serve most places pretty well.

I think Tesla also used a heat pump in the model y

Laconian

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 27, 2021, 04:50:08 PM
I think the IONIQ 5 looks ok, but it's HUGE for a supposed compact. I saw two of them today and they barely fit on the designated parking spots for EVs. One I saw today was parked next to a BMW X3 or X5 Plug-In Hybrid (can't tell them part) and the IONIQ 5 made the BMW SUV look tiny. Literally.

Coming from an Outback owner: sweeeet!

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on November 27, 2021, 01:01:12 PM
Good review. I'll happily take build quality and a double digit CR reliability score over having my heart tickled with delicate fingers.

I've told Morris Jr to get one. His ancient Pilot is wheezing at 200k miles, & soon you will need an EV to maintain a Silicon Valley residency permit.

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 28, 2021, 01:18:10 PM
I've told Morris Jr to get one. His ancient Pilot is wheezing at 200k miles, & soon you will need an EV to maintain a Silicon Valley residency permit.

A car that's more than 10 years old, how can he stand the ignominy? Doesn't he qualify for a welfare Mercedes CLA250?

Morris Minor

Quote from: r0tor on November 27, 2021, 08:07:21 PM
There is heat pump tech out there that now goes down to around 10deg F and remain efficient.  Combine that with some heat recovery from the batteries and motors and the system would probably serve most places pretty well.

I think Tesla also used a heat pump in the model y
Yes. The Y was the first. Now all Teslas have them.

Morris Minor

Sandy Munro - my favorite right-leaning, jaded, grumpy & irascible old white guy.
Getting into obsessive detail on the Hyundai's fit & finish. They like it.

https://youtu.be/E3_0tc3qBt8

Laconian

He talked shit about the hard HVAC controls... wotta Tesla shill!

I don't think he realizes how distracting modal user interfaces can be. Assessing the state of the MMI requires attention span. Locating the touch target and then using your fine motor control to press it requires some focus. Boom, you rear ended someone. I'd rather just grab a dial which has only ONE function and crank it.

NomisR

Quote from: Laconian on January 21, 2022, 02:22:50 PM
He talked shit about the hard HVAC controls... wotta Tesla shill!

I don't think he realizes how distracting modal user interfaces can be. Assessing the state of the MMI requires attention span. Locating the touch target and then using your fine motor control to press it requires some focus. Boom, you rear ended someone. I'd rather just grab a dial which has only ONE function and crank it.

I guess you can just set everything on auto and forget it