Hyundai Ioniq and Kia EV6 siblings

Started by Laconian, November 09, 2021, 11:09:53 AM

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on January 21, 2022, 02:22:50 PM
He talked shit about the hard HVAC controls... wotta Tesla shill!

I don't think he realizes how distracting modal user interfaces can be. Assessing the state of the MMI requires attention span. Locating the touch target and then using your fine motor control to press it requires some focus. Boom, you rear ended someone. I'd rather just grab a dial which has only ONE function and crank it.
I agree - I'll keep my HVAC buttons thank you very much. End of conversation.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: NomisR on January 21, 2022, 02:27:53 PM
I guess you can just set everything on auto and forget it

Until you want to change it. Touchscreen just shouldn't be used for some things. Like anything a driver needs to adjust while moving.
Will

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ChrisV

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 22, 2022, 01:10:16 PM
Until you want to change it. Touchscreen just shouldn't be used for some things. Like anything a driver needs to adjust while moving.

I've changed my heat settings once since I got my car I set it to auto and 70 degrees and leave it there. Just like my E38 that I set once right after I got it, and left it for 5 years.

I don't get the incessant need to fiddle with everything.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Soup DeVille

"Hey, I may want to change this" is not incessant fiddling.

As if people never get cold feet, or the windows never need to be defrosted; or different drivers want different settings, or that you may want a different temperature in the summer when wearing shorts and t-shirt versus winter and five layers of gear.  Or that you may want to take your coat off sometimes on linger trips and leave it on for short ones.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

That Genesis version is hideous!

The Ioniq 5 is growing on me a lot.  Call me outdated, but I really like the frozen matte paint they offer on it.  EV6 GT with 575 hp will be something.

Unfortunately, the roll outs for these is going to be soooo slow.  They just aren't making them in all that big of numbers.  Europe will get them first, then all the US states that follow California ZEV rules.  It'll be a few years before I could get either.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

I think the Genesis version is pretty hot..

ChrisV

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 24, 2022, 06:33:03 AM
"Hey, I may want to change this" is not incessant fiddling.

As if people never get cold feet, or the windows never need to be defrosted; or different drivers want different settings, or that you may want a different temperature in the summer when wearing shorts and t-shirt versus winter and five layers of gear.  Or that you may want to take your coat off sometimes on linger trips and leave it on for short ones.

All of that is incessant fiddling. If you have a decent auto setting, it automatically (hence the name) keeps your feet warm in the winter and comfortable in the summer, all through the season. I want my car to be 70 degrees year round, I don't need it different in the summer and winter, and even if I did that's TWO WHOLE TIMES A YEAR it'd need to get changed to a different temperature... Probably could do that before you start driving that season. Same with different drivers that need different typical settings. Set it as you get into the car and leave it. Done. Anything more IS incessant fiddling. If you're fucking with it 3-4-5 times a drive WHILE DRIVING, you're doing it wrong, even with buttons!

This is like the anti-EV threads where people go out of their way to come up with scenarios that make life more difficult than it needs to be just to justify edge cases.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

FoMoJo

My wife keeps fiddling with the climate controls.  She doesn't accept that the engine needs to warm up before it can produce heat.  I remind her from time to time, but it makes no difference.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

I want one, a Crystal Sphere™.
Fear the Crystal Spheres, Tesla.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ChrisV on January 24, 2022, 12:33:46 PM
All of that is incessant fiddling. If you have a decent auto setting, it automatically (hence the name) keeps your feet warm in the winter and comfortable in the summer, all through the season. I want my car to be 70 degrees year round, I don't need it different in the summer and winter, and even if I did that's TWO WHOLE TIMES A YEAR it'd need to get changed to a different temperature... Probably could do that before you start driving that season. Same with different drivers that need different typical settings. Set it as you get into the car and leave it. Done. Anything more IS incessant fiddling. If you're fucking with it 3-4-5 times a drive WHILE DRIVING, you're doing it wrong, even with buttons!

This is like the anti-EV threads where people go out of their way to come up with scenarios that make life more difficult than it needs to be just to justify edge cases.

Having cold wet feet is not some sort of "edge case," any more than having different comfort levels at different times, and its not much to ask to have easy to access basic controls.

The automatic system does not know whether I'm wearing wet running shoes or insulated boots. It doesn't know if I have a jacket on, or a sweater. Yes, the best automatic systems have all kinds of sensors; including photoeyes to know which side the sun is on. They're all told, pretty good at what they do.

And I still want to be able to change them easily, and on demand, without taking my eyes off the road simply because I suddenly changed my mind. If I want to turn the foot heaters on full blast, while keep g the windows and sunroof open on a 20 degree day, that's what I want.

The hubris and condescension that says otherwise- that automatic knows what you want better than you do is ridiculous. If the customer wants to control something, they're writing the check.

The simple fact is that touchscreen controls are cheaper to build than discreet controls. Its not about being right or wrong; its about being cost effective
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

RomanChariot

The back door area of the Genesis reminds me of a Toyota C-HR which is not a good thing.

Laconian

Another point in favor of hard HVAC controls: the buttons and knobs won't spontaneously rearrange themselves overnight.

https://jenson.org/tesla/

Oof, the comments in this thread.. https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/ro2y36/i_think_the_holiday_update_is_a_step_backwards_in/

veeman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 24, 2022, 01:44:54 PM
Having cold wet feet is not some sort of "edge case," any more than having different comfort levels at different times, and its not much to ask to have easy to access basic controls.

The automatic system does not know whether I'm wearing wet running shoes or insulated boots. It doesn't know if I have a jacket on, or a sweater. Yes, the best automatic systems have all kinds of sensors; including photoeyes to know which side the sun is on. They're all told, pretty good at what they do.

And I still want to be able to change them easily, and on demand, without taking my eyes off the road simply because I suddenly changed my mind. If I want to turn the foot heaters on full blast, while keep g the windows and sunroof open on a 20 degree day, that's what I want.

The hubris and condescension that says otherwise- that automatic knows what you want better than you do is ridiculous. If the customer wants to control something, they're writing the check.

The simple fact is that touchscreen controls are cheaper to build than discreet controls. Its not about being right or wrong; its about being cost effective

I agree with you here.  I never use automatic temperature setting, unlike in my house where I rarely fiddle with the temperature.  My car, my small space, I like the convenience of changing the temperature as many times in a given period as I want; just like I do the radio.  I agree it varies a lot depending on how I'm dressed and whether or not I had to walk outside in the cold or the heat to get to my car. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on January 30, 2022, 09:01:42 PM
Another point in favor of hard HVAC controls: the buttons and knobs won't spontaneously rearrange themselves overnight.

https://jenson.org/tesla/

Oof, the comments in this thread.. https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/ro2y36/i_think_the_holiday_update_is_a_step_backwards_in/

The most valuable assets Tesla has are their fans.

The biggest liabilities Tesla has are their fans.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on January 30, 2022, 09:36:24 PM
I agree with you here.  I never use automatic temperature setting, unlike in my house where I rarely fiddle with the temperature.  My car, my small space, I like the convenience of changing the temperature as many times in a given period as I want; just like I do the radio.  I agree it varies a lot depending on how I'm dressed and whether or not I had to walk outside in the cold or the heat to get to my car. 

You don't fiddle with the temperature at home because you don't sit on the couch wearing the same clothes you go skiing in on one day, and gym clothes the next; if you do, its because you're on the way in or out. And I'd also bet you don't hang out at home with the heat vents two feet away from your face.

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 31, 2022, 06:03:18 AM
You don't fiddle with the temperature at home because you don't sit on the couch wearing the same clothes you go skiing in on one day, and gym clothes the next; if you do, its because you're on the way in or out. And I'd also bet you don't hang out at home with the heat vents two feet away from your face.

It's about 8 feet above my head..

veeman

In a motel/hotel, I fiddle with the temperature/fan settings a lot. 

At home I don't fiddle with the settings because I've learned through 15 years of home ownership that the more I fiddled with the HVAC settings, the more stuff broke.  Last several years I rarely adjust anything (even when leaving for out of town), and the HVAC gets a lot less repaired. 

The wise furnace repairman told me "The less you fiddle with this, the less it will break.  Trust me.  It's not worth the $20 you save in a month by constantly adjusting the temperature setting in a particular room depending on whether it's being used or not." 

Morris Minor

Quote from: veeman on January 31, 2022, 12:42:42 PM
In a motel/hotel, I fiddle with the temperature/fan settings a lot. 

At home I don't fiddle with the settings because I've learned through 15 years of home ownership that the more I fiddled with the HVAC settings, the more stuff broke.  Last several years I rarely adjust anything (even when leaving for out of town), and the HVAC gets a lot less repaired. 

The wise furnace repairman told me "The less you fiddle with this, the less it will break.  Trust me.  It's not worth the $20 you save in a month by constantly adjusting the temperature setting in a particular room depending on whether it's being used or not." 
I have a couple of "smart" thermostats, Ecobee in my case, but any will do. There was about a week of fiddling to get things right & that was it, barely touch them unless we're going on vacation or something.

Morris Minor

Sandy Munro's nerd team got an Ioniq up on a lift. The point about adding crash protection mass... Mass breeds mass I guess. All those batteries. Anyway - they liked what they saw.
https://youtu.be/igFytqIMp0A

afty

I saw an EV6 on the road in LA a few weeks ago. It was jaw dropping, a really cool looking car.

Laconian

Quote from: afty on March 15, 2022, 10:48:49 PM
I saw an EV6 on the road in LA a few weeks ago. It was jaw dropping, a really cool looking car.

I've seen one around town, and a friend texted me a message an hour later with a photo of the same car when it was in a neighboring city with a comment like "this car's so hot". It must be doing something right to stand out like that. The tail is really something to behold, all crisp curves and concavities.

CaminoRacer

I'm not sure about the EV6 yet. I didn't care for the press release photos but I saw one last week on the freeway and it looked nice (mainly from behind). It's very large for its styling so I'm curious how it ages
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

I was going to test drive the Kia/Hyundai siblings this weekend, but the inventory just disappeared and the prices of what's left are very gougey.

Ah well. I'm fine waiting anyways.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on March 19, 2022, 05:03:14 PM
I was going to test drive the Kia/Hyundai siblings this weekend, but the inventory just disappeared and the prices of what's left are very gougey.

Ah well. I'm fine waiting anyways.

I'm not seeing any listed near me either. My local dealership doesn't even mention it anywhere on their site.

Laconian

Is Utah one of the states for the limited rollout?

CaminoRacer

Guess not. I can't even find info about their release plan. Europe has been able to get these for a short while, but their US rollout sucks.

Laconian

I saw an EV6 GT-line at a parking lot. I had a chance to study the lines and peek through the glass. The roofline is surprisingly low, with fairly narrow windows, kind of like the Magnum/300. I wonder if it feels claustrophobic on the inside.

Make no mistake, it is a pretty stunning car in the flesh, but I just hope the styling doesn't impact the usability too much.

Laconian

I talked with an Ioniq 5 owner. He's a picky car guy but he positively gushed about his new car. Smooth, fun, refined, well put together were all things he said about it.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on April 29, 2022, 11:37:01 AM
I talked with an Ioniq 5 owner. He's a picky car guy but he positively gushed about his new car. Smooth, fun, refined, well put together were all things he said about it.
I saw one in a restaurant parking lot here... it looks cool. People were stopping to have a look.