Hyundai Ioniq and Kia EV6 siblings

Started by Laconian, November 09, 2021, 11:09:53 AM

CaminoRacer

Hyundai/Kia are positioning themselves well for the next decade.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Tesla needs a fresh look to compete!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

My friend put a deposit down for an Ioniq 5. I might go check one out and order an Ioniq 5 or EV6. The Bolt isn't always comfortable for me due to the seats and sometimes harsh suspension.

MrH

I emailed a local dealership back and forth a few times about getting one of their incoming Ioniq 5's.  They're charging $5k over MSRP :facepalm:

If I could just get it for MSRP, I probably would have pulled the trigger.  $55k for a fully loaded AWD.  $7500 EV credit, $35k for the outback.  Gas savings alone would be something like $220/month I think, so when you amortize that, it's a <$5k trade...

I saw an EV6 on the road the other day in black.  It looks like a previous gen Honda Civic hatch, but scaled 1.5x.  It's way bigger in person than I imagined.  Even though the Ioniq 5 is uglier than the EV6, it's much easier to get your hands on one.  I like the insane wheelbase idea of it too.  The interior appears to be better packaged.  The Ioniq 5 is 10" shorter than the outback, but 10" longer wheelbase.  It's 20" less total overhang :wtf:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

I know that specific dealer will do an Ioniq 5 at MSRP. Come to Utah!

giant_mtb

$5k over MSRP at a dealership is chump change these days.

https://youtu.be/30-ekwjajJY

NomisR

I have a friend that's looking for an EV because his lease on this Clarity EV expired.  He was originally looking at a Mach-E, I told him to hurry up and order one but they're no longer taking orders, so I'm trying to convince him to get a i4 M50, for the standard i4, they're asking for MSRP but you have to buy the "Teflon coating" whatever thing for $1200.. so the car is basically MSRP + $1200 markup.  He might actually be interested in going to Utah for Ioniq 5 since he already flew to Wyoming for a Sienna at MSRP in Jan.

MrH

Getting an EV back from Utah sounds like a major pain in the ass.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on May 02, 2022, 07:00:04 AM
Getting an EV back from Utah sounds like a major pain in the ass.

I-70 has chargers all the way to Ohio.
But yes, it's a long way for a car. Although you can ship it for a lot less than $5k

veeman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 02, 2022, 09:29:33 AM
I-70 has chargers all the way to Ohio.
But yes, it's a long way for a car. Although you can ship it for a lot less than $5k
[/quote-]

Yeah probably $1500 to ship. 

MrH

What's the dealer name?  Most dealers are only selling to people within a radius of the dealer, to prevent people from buying, shipping across country, and reselling at a markup.

What's really interesting: the Hyundai dealer told me that Hyundai has increased the invoice to be identical to the MSRP, and that's why they have to charge a $5k markup..  That sounded really strange and the typical BS a dealer would say to justify charging a markup.  I checked though, and sure enough, he's right.  I'm sure there's a kickback of some sort on the vehicles, but that's a really odd situation.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CaminoRacer

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Morris Minor

Quote from: MrH on May 04, 2022, 08:46:41 AM
What's the dealer name?  Most dealers are only selling to people within a radius of the dealer, to prevent people from buying, shipping across country, and reselling at a markup.

What's really interesting: the Hyundai dealer told me that Hyundai has increased the invoice to be identical to the MSRP, and that's why they have to charge a $5k markup..  That sounded really strange and the typical BS a dealer would say to justify charging a markup.  I checked though, and sure enough, he's right.  I'm sure there's a kickback of some sort on the vehicles, but that's a really odd situation.
Sounds like Hyundai's decided not to share its profits with its dealers while also not wanting the negative public symbolism of raising its prices. So they're telling the world to blame their middlemen for all the special markups.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 04, 2022, 10:27:40 AM
Sounds like Hyundai's decided not to share its profits with its dealers while also not wanting the negative public symbolism of raising its prices. So they're telling the world to blame their middlemen for all the special markups.

Basically.  What a slimy tactic.  It's right up there with Ford's trim situation with the F-150 lightning.  It'd be better for everyone if they were just honest about it.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CaminoRacer

NomisR

I thought Hyundai/Kia warranties doesn't transfer?  So wouldn't it make this a horrible idea to buy a used or resold Hyundai/Kia?

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

veeman

Quote from: NomisR on May 04, 2022, 02:15:39 PM
I thought Hyundai/Kia warranties doesn't transfer?  So wouldn't it make this a horrible idea to buy a used or resold Hyundai/Kia?

If it's a "certified" used car, the full warranty transfers.  I know this because I bought a certified used Hyundai Veloster.  Otherwise a second owner gets a reduced warranty.  Hyundais/Kias sold in Canada also have a reduced warranty compared with those sold in the U.S.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on May 05, 2022, 07:12:51 AM
If it's a "certified" used car, the full warranty transfers.  I know this because I bought a certified used Hyundai Veloster.  Otherwise a second owner gets a reduced warranty.  Hyundais/Kias sold in Canada also have a reduced warranty compared with those sold in the U.S.

But its only certified if its sold through a dealer
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

AutobahnSHO

Will

Morris Minor

And their new interiors guy takes a look. I must say that I strongly believe that we should avoid bad neckties. When criticizing a car's interior design, a crisp white shirt & plain navy tie lends more stylistic knowledge credibility than the junior car salesman look.
Anyway, this guy knows his subject.
https://youtu.be/HtuS5hNk5OA

Laconian

My favorite Internet person got an Ioniq 5!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZOuz_laH9I

I had no idea that the charging cables had active cooling.

Laconian

It's ridiculous how efficient EVs are. 328kWh of power for an 18 hour road trip from Detroit to Florida. He burned the energy equivalent of 9 gallons of gasoline.

AutobahnSHO

That's why diesel locomotives are EVs with a portable charging station :lol:
Will

veeman

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 14, 2022, 05:59:18 AM
And their new interiors guy takes a look. I must say that I strongly believe that we should avoid bad neckties. When criticizing a car's interior design, a crisp white shirt & plain navy tie lends more stylistic knowledge credibility than the junior car salesman look.
Anyway, this guy knows his subject.
https://youtu.be/HtuS5hNk5OA

His dislike of piano black interior components I agree with.  Looks cool when new.  A few weeks later, looks terrible.  On my former Beetle the upper half of the two compartment glove box was piano black.  Nice looking I thought when I bought the car.  I gently rested the side of a large cardboard box which was sitting on the passenger seat on the upper half glove box for 10 seconds.  When I took out the box there were small light scratches easily visible on the piano black surface.  Bugged me for the next three years whenever I got in the car. 

NomisR

Quote from: Laconian on May 17, 2022, 12:25:56 AM
It's ridiculous how efficient EVs are. 328kWh of power for an 18 hour road trip from Detroit to Florida. He burned the energy equivalent of 9 gallons of gasoline.

I think the biggest problem we run into is this..

https://www.wsj.com/articles/electricity-shortage-warnings-grow-across-u-s-11652002380

And there's no solution in sight because like California's stupid decision to not try to replenish our water supplies or build desalination, America won't build nuclear either.

Laconian

Look at gas prices, we're already in deep shit with our exploding fossils. :lol:

Honestly, daily suburban drives would probably barely dent the meter. Topping up after 40 miles of daily use (American average) is 10kWh of power on an Ioniq 5. The HVAC bill in a sunny climate is going to be 4-6 times worse than that. If you want to worry about electricity consumption, direct your ire at McMansions.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on May 16, 2022, 11:58:43 PM
My favorite Internet person got an Ioniq 5!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZOuz_laH9I

I had no idea that the charging cables had active cooling.
Added to my already too-long watch later list. I'm jealous of his hair.