Toyota GR Corolla

Started by SJ_GTI, March 31, 2022, 01:58:39 PM

SJ_GTI

Surprised there is nothing here about this yet (unless I missed it?). Below is stolen from TCL.

If I was shopping for a new car this would be top of my list right now, unless the price is crazy.

Haven't seen anything official on pricing yet, but have seen people guessing anywhere from 35k (would would be a steal) up to 55k (which would be too much IMO).

QuoteNo Rain Checks
Introducing the first-ever GR Corolla. Born from a passion of motorsports and infused with the
DNA of Toyota Gazoo Racing, this exclusively manual-transmission, rally-built hot hatch is ready
for what Mother Nature serves up. Track-tested and turbocharged with 300 hp and GR-FOUR All-
Wheel-Drive (AWD), the rowdiest member of the GR family won't need a rain check. GR Corolla is
bursting onto the scene fall 2022.

GR Corolla Specs
1.6L 3-Cylinder Turbo
Powertrain
300 Horsepower
273 Lb.-Ft. Torque
6-Speed Manual Transmission
GR-FOUR AWD Drivetrain

Performance
GR Corolla sports a 1.6L turbocharged engine with 300 hp and 273 lb.-ft. of
torque, paired with a 6-speed Intelligent Manual Transmission (iMT). Showcasing
its capabilities to put power to the ground, its GR-FOUR AWD system
automatically distributes power from 50/50 up to 30/70 front and rear for ultimate
traction come rain or shine. And by enhancing your drive with Normal, Sport and
Track Modes, this hot hatch is more than ready to rally.

Design
Outfitted with an aggressive front grille, flared fenders to accommodate a wide
track, rear diffuser and functional vents for enhancing aerodynamics and cooling—
there's no need for GR Corolla to fight for attention. Inside, a GR leather-trimmed
steering wheel and unique gauge cluster elevates your excitement on any
track. GR Corolla Launch Edition pours on the details even further with a forged
carbon-fiber roof, vented hood, matte-black 18-in. wheels* and upgraded
Ultrasuede* and synthetic leather-trimmed seats.

Handling
For whatever road you take, GR Corolla's circuit-tuned suspension and Michelin
Pilot Sport 4S tires* won't let harsh road conditions rain on your parade. GR
Corolla Launch Edition features front and rear Torsen* limited-slip differential for
a better grip while upgraded performance brakes help you dig into corners. It's
time to find your new comfort zone.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SJ_GTI

Yes. I think official details are being released tonight, the above are leaks.

MrH

The exhausts are laughably bad.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on March 31, 2022, 02:43:10 PM

What?!? 3 Cylinder Engine = 3 Exhausts. Its basically perfect.  :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

I never expected more performance cars from Toyota.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

The whole rear bumper is a tragedy.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

I think the smart move would have been to rebadge a WRX instead
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on March 31, 2022, 02:43:10 PM

How?
Dual exhaust and a USB C charging port in the middle. :huh:

:lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CALL_911

If it's around 40k I'm gonna buy one

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

Finally. We finally get one of those JDM alphabet soup cars from Gran Turismo.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

It would be good to see a version for GRown ups without any of the ornate clutter.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

SJ_GTI

No price announced last night unfortunately. They did say there will be a base version and a "circuit edition" so presumably the "circuit edition" will be the pricey option (50k?).

MrH

I have no idea.  To quote Rags, depending on the price, this could be a good deal :lol:  $35k?  This is a total WRX killer.  At $50k, it's a real enthusiast niche car.  If it's closer to $35k, I'm curious how big it is compared to the Outback :lol:  Surprising amount of luxury features in it (ACC with a manual, heated seats, wireless carplay, etc).

It sucks how bad the supply situation is in the industry. There's so much interesting stuff coming out, but you can't test drive or expect to get anything at MSRP any time soon. 
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CaminoRacer

I would maybe consider this over a new Civic Si as a more practical daily driver. But it depends on the price. Not gonna spend $40k for it when the Si is like $30k, since I don't actually need 300 hp for a daily driver that isn't my main autocross/track car
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

So the circuit edition has a spoiler, gray interest of black, carbon fiber roof, and some red interior trim. Looks like you can get the front and rear LSD as an option on the base model.

Only available in gray, black, and white. I'm curious where the pricing ends up.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited