Author Topic: Started by trying to buy an RDX for the wife and ended up with a stupid vehicle.  (Read 853 times)

Offline AutobahnSHO

• resident SHO and Subie troll
USB adapters are fine and exist, but it just creates another potential point of failure.

And are very very easily replaced.

My wife "had to have" a backup camera. But that actually makes sense.
Will

Offline cawimmer430

• Der Benz Experte
  • Bloggers
    • Wimmer Fotografie
You planet-killing SUV-driving maniac! HOW DARE YOU!!!!

*Greta Mode Off*

Congrats!  :cheers:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Offline Soup DeVille

And are very very easily replaced.

My wife "had to have" a backup camera. But that actually makes sense.

All vehicles made after 2018 are required to have them.
And then, I spent a week as a lemon, jumping in and out of a gin and tonic.

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 1991 Grand Marquis Colony Park, 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Offline NomisR

Congratulations, not a bad choice. 

Offline 565

• CarSPINNER
Looks nice.

Why are heated rear seats a priority?  Kids are in car seats until they are 37 years old anyway, nowadays.

No clue.  She decided that was one of the features she wanted to have.  If I were to guess it's because her brothers MDX has them and thus she thinks a luxury SUV should have it.

Offline Soup DeVille

No clue.  She decided that was one of the features she wanted to have.  If I were to guess it's because her brothers MDX has them and thus she thinks a luxury SUV should have it.

Yep. No winning that argument.

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 1991 Grand Marquis Colony Park, 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Offline NomisR

It doesn't have to make sense to us I guess.  When my wife got her car, her original criteria was a roomy 3rd row, which I suggested a Minivan, but she doesn't want a minivan, so I was suggesting a bunch of competitors to the Honda Pilot which she concluded that there would've been no reason for us to replace the Pilot with those car because there was no improvement or change, it would've been replacing the car for the sake of replacing which I agreed 100%.  Then she narrowed it down to Lexus only because she wanted a luxury brand but she didn't want an Acura because she drove a Honda vehicle all her life (Civic, Element, RDX and Pilot), and she didn't want a German due to the cost of repair, and Lexus are suppose to be reliable.  She started at the RX450h which had the 3rd row but the 3rd row was tiny so we crossed it off, she finally decided on the GX and started looking at youtube videos on offroading and overlanding.  I figured, it's not a loss for me since I gain an offroad vehicle to drive.  But then she decided that she only want the mid range model with a Mark Levinson audio, so it took me forever to hunt one down with a good price so here we are today with her wanting me to find a way to add surround camera, crawl control and MTS to the damn thing.. :facepalm:

Offline Soup DeVille

It doesn't have to make sense to us I guess.  When my wife got her car, her original criteria was a roomy 3rd row, which I suggested a Minivan, but she doesn't want a minivan, so I was suggesting a bunch of competitors to the Honda Pilot which she concluded that there would've been no reason for us to replace the Pilot with those car because there was no improvement or change, it would've been replacing the car for the sake of replacing which I agreed 100%.  Then she narrowed it down to Lexus only because she wanted a luxury brand but she didn't want an Acura because she drove a Honda vehicle all her life (Civic, Element, RDX and Pilot), and she didn't want a German due to the cost of repair, and Lexus are suppose to be reliable.  She started at the RX450h which had the 3rd row but the 3rd row was tiny so we crossed it off, she finally decided on the GX and started looking at youtube videos on offroading and overlanding.  I figured, it's not a loss for me since I gain an offroad vehicle to drive.  But then she decided that she only want the mid range model with a Mark Levinson audio, so it took me forever to hunt one down with a good price so here we are today with her wanting me to find a way to add surround camera, crawl control and MTS to the damn thing.. :facepalm:

Crawl control is for hacks. There's nothing it does that works any better than what even a semi-experienced off road driver can do. MTS can be handy, but again its more of a crutch for bad driving.

The 4Runner has both. It can't do anything the Land Cruiser couldn't do, which had neither.

Offline giant_mtb

• CarSPINNER

Offline NomisR

Crawl control is for hacks. There's nothing it does that works any better than what even a semi-experienced off road driver can do. MTS can be handy, but again its more of a crutch for bad driving.

The 4Runner has both. It can't do anything the Land Cruiser couldn't do, which had neither.

Yeah, that's what I told her, I haven't gotten stuck yet without it including the sand, but then again, I never got stuck in the sand with the Pilot either.  What I do need to do is a front bumper mod because the clearance is really sketchy with the GX.

Offline 565

• CarSPINNER
Well break in is complete. Well sorta.  I did the break in service at 1200 miles for oil change and diff change.  Now the manual says only to do up to 155mph for short periods such as passing until 3100 miles.
I've definitely kept by the book.

This X3M has absolutely blown me away.  I figured I'd love the drive train and tolerate the rest of the vehicle, but I've actually been floored by how much I love it.

Driving it around with everything in normal, it just feels like a normal SUV with a stiffer ride.  My wife has been commuting daily with it without issues.  Press the preset M1 and M2 buttons and this thing is just a beast everywhere.  It's a beast on the highway, it's a beast on the backroads.  I can see myself getting into tons of trouble with this thing.  It's just goes from so civil to Savage with the press of a button.

I've had time to consider the ride.  I will say it's definitely firm.  The springs I'd say are stiffer than the blackwing, but the damper is softer on the comfort setting than the softest setting on the blackwing.  The vehicle will get a bit bouncy on comfort.

I think magazines tend to feed off each other's impressions on things like ride and steering feel.  My wife needed a C section just recently to deliver our daughter.  The take home vehicle was the X3M (too much stuff for Blackwing).  The next day we had to make another trip and we took the blackwing because I told her the softer ride will be better on her belly.  She told me flat out there is absolutely no difference in ride comfort between the two.   It's something I've felt secretly for some time but figured all the magazines cannot be wrong.  She's never read a car magazine, just spent time in both vehicles and told it like it is.

Anyway the blackwing will clear break in soon so it will be a better comparison but currently I can't help but wonder of a G80 M3 comp xdrive would have been a better choice for my car.

Offline veeman

The Cadillac sport sedans are a rare bird sighting though... They make peoples' head turns, in a good way. 

Offline AutobahnSHO

Congrats on the daughter!!!!!
Will

Offline 565

• CarSPINNER
Congrats on the daughter!!!!!

Thanks so much!  Man this baby thing is alot of work!

Offline AutobahnSHO

Thanks so much!  Man this baby thing is alot of work!

:lol: the most work and most rewarding!!
Will