Broken wheel lock key

Started by AutobahnSHO, June 12, 2022, 04:41:13 AM

AutobahnSHO

Idiots at NTB broke it after putting two wheels back on. It just spins in the socket.

:heated: :lockedup: :heated: :lockedup:
Will

Soup DeVille

1: Fuck wheel locks.

2: If they broke it, they can pay for a new one.

3: If they didn't, take a picture of the wheel lock and you can find the type it is online and order another one

4: But don't do that, go to a local garage, get the wheel lock taken off, and put a regular lug nut there because:

5: See number 1.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

1. Fuck wheel locks
2. Fuck NTB
3. See the above post
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

I'll throw some cheap Advance Auto locks on. They're all the same "key" but might slow some idiot for half a second from thinking about stealing them.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 12, 2022, 08:30:31 AM
I'll throw some cheap Advance Auto locks on. They're all the same "key" but might slow some idiot for half a second from thinking about stealing them.

If nothing else, the long splined nuts are the most idiot proof, if least secure type of wheel lock.

Eye of the Tiger

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 12, 2022, 07:11:42 AM
1: Fuck wheel locks.
5: See number 1.

Yeah. Unless you're living in "the hood," they're seriously unnceccessarccyyssssyccaarrccyy.

MrH

Yeah, I don't understand why anyone would use wheel locks in most cases.  They're miserable.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 12, 2022, 09:56:45 AM
Yeah. Unless you're living in "the hood," they're seriously unnceccessarccyyssssyccaarrccyy.

They're pointless everywhere. They don't even slow down somebody trying to steal your wheels. And unless your wheels are the latest spinners or swangaz or whatever stupid fucking trend is hot this year, nobody wants your wheels anyways.

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Emergency-Lug-Nut-Socket/dp/

They want your catalytic convertor.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 13, 2022, 11:08:01 AM
They're pointless everywhere. They don't even slow down somebody trying to steal your wheels. And unless your wheels are the latest spinners or swangaz or whatever stupid fucking trend is hot this year, nobody wants your wheels anyways.

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Emergency-Lug-Nut-Socket/dp/

They want your catalytic convertor.

Yes. The latest thing is building a cage around your cats.

Eye of the Tiger

If I was stealing things, I would just steal the whole car. I could rip most cars into individual major components and destroy the VIN numbers in about an hour. :huh:

veeman

Argh.  Went to get new tires (which I had ordered from TireRack and had shipped to a local mechanic) and the mechanic calls me up and says they can't find the wheel lock key.  I drive to the mechanic and they had already gone through the glovebox, center console, and rear compartment where they keep the spare tire and jack.  I can't find it either.  This was a certified used Infiniti QX60.  Mechanic, whom I have done past several services with on both my cars, says he can't do anything and to take the car to Infiniti dealership. The original wheels/tires from the factory are on the car.   This annoys me because I know he can remove them but maybe doesn't want to be responsible for breaking the wheel lock lug?  I go home and the dealership I bought the car from is permanently closed.  Doesn't surprise me because it was an Infiniti dealership. I do some YouTubing.  I don't have the right tools in my garage.  I ordered a kit on Amazon.  Hopefully it'll work with the the wheel lug wrench that comes with the spare jack. 

giant_mtb

Those wheel lock lugs are so dumb.  Unless you live in a high-crime area and wheel theft is a legitimate concern, avoid at all costs.  To avoid dumb situations like this.  Otherwise, in the 1:1,000,000 chance your wheels get stolen because you didn't have a wheel lock...that's what insurance is for.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 20, 2023, 07:39:49 AMThose wheel lock lugs are so dumb.  Unless you live in a high-crime area and wheel theft is a legitimate concern, avoid at all costs.  To avoid dumb situations like this.  Otherwise, in the 1:1,000,000 chance your wheels get stolen because you didn't have a wheel lock...that's what insurance is for.

Yup. I don't have wheel locks on any of my cars. I used to have splined lug nuts on the El Camino because the diameter is smaller and helps keep the wheel from getting scratched by the socket. But I took those off and found regular ones that fit just as well.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

veeman

Rats.  Didn't work (the kit from Amazon).  It had a 21 mm socket which was too big (when I tried to turn it, it would spin) and a 19 mm socket which was too small (couldn't hammer it onto the wheel lock).  I ordered on Amazon now a separate 20 mm 12 point socket.  Hopefully this will work. 

giant_mtb

12-point sockets should be avoided almost as much as wheel lock lug nuts.

Morris Minor

Quote from: veeman on May 20, 2023, 07:31:06 AM...  I go home and the dealership I bought the car from is permanently closed.  Doesn't surprise me because it was an Infiniti dealership....  
This is what's making me nervous about keeping my 13 year-old G37 much longer. Last time I was in the dealership it was like a deserted museum. 
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

veeman

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 20, 2023, 06:05:07 PM12-point sockets should be avoided almost as much as wheel lock lug nuts.

What should I use to get it off (wheel lock)? 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: veeman on May 21, 2023, 05:55:58 AMWhat should I use to get it off (wheel lock)? 

Twist sockets and a big hammer.

These are the exact ones I've ordered multiple times. (They only work about 20 times and then they get too dull)

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Twist-Socket-Set-Extractor/dp/B07JHM34XJ/

Protip: they actually grip better when hammered on at a slight angle

veeman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 21, 2023, 06:17:47 AMTwist sockets and a big hammer.

These are the exact ones I've ordered multiple times. (They only work about 20 times and then they get too dull)

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Twist-Socket-Set-Extractor/dp/B07JHM34XJ/

Protip: they actually grip better when hammered on at a slight angle

I ordered a very similar kit on Amazon.  The 19 mm was too small. It won't grip.  The 21 mm was too big (after hammering, it would spin when I tried to turn it).  But I did not hammer it over the wheel lock at an angle.

That's why I ordered the 20 mm 12 point socket.

veeman

Couldn't get them off with the twist socket or 12 point socket. I think I wasn't hammering them hard enough onto the wheel lock or I couldn't get enough torque on my wrench.  I said f_ck it and went to a local mom and pop mechanic/tire shop (the kind that have a layer of grease on the customer service table including the computer keyboards and the owner is smoking a cigarette while talking to you).  They got them off in 5 minutes and charged me $45. 

The guy said with an Infiniti no problem.  He said some of the German luxury cars have "tamper proof" wheel locks which he might not be able to get off.

I picked up 4 replacement regular lug nuts from  Advanced Auto Parts.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: veeman on June 04, 2023, 04:11:07 PMCouldn't get them off with the twist socket or 12 point socket. I think I wasn't hammering them hard enough onto the wheel lock or I couldn't get enough torque on my wrench.  I said f_ck it and went to a local mom and pop mechanic/tire shop (the kind that have a layer of grease on the customer service table including the computer keyboards and the owner is smoking a cigarette while talking to you).  They got them off in 5 minutes and charged me $45. 

The guy said with an Infiniti no problem.  He said some of the German luxury cars have "tamper proof" wheel locks which he might not be able to get off.

I picked up 4 replacement regular lug nuts from  Advanced Auto Parts.

There is a special tool for those German tamper proof ones. Or, you can go through $60 worth of drill bits like I did the first time. :lol: