Floatovoltaic technology

Started by Laconian, June 17, 2022, 03:43:56 PM

Laconian

US Army deployed a large solar array which floats on freshwater.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/14/23167441/us-army-floating-solar-power-plant-floatovoltaics

Very interesting solution! It sounds like it solves a number of problems in addition to generating power.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Cool. Fort Bragg is a big place. Might as well.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

Nice idea I'm all for solar power, particularly w/ battery storage.

I've seen some vids where people use roof solar generation to power their EVs via powerpacks. There's some wizardry that deals with juggling the needs of the house, the batteries, the car & the utility company (if virtual grid gen is allowed.) Toys for the rich I know, but it presses my geek buttons.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

Would be nice to have floating solar panels on Lake Powell and Lake Mead to generate power and reduce evaporation, but I'm sure the boaters would be too pissed to allow it
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

I imagine this is not good news for fish
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Lakewater that's too warm is a problem for fish. Algae blooms and microbes, gross.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on June 24, 2022, 05:59:02 PM
I imagine this is not good news for fish

Done right it could be great for them. Fish love shade, and shelter beneath boats and docks all the time. As long as you're not blocking out all the light for plant growth, it could be great, and also reduce problems like algae blooms.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator