3-Kid Family Hauler - Suggestions?

Started by Morris Minor, June 19, 2022, 03:59:12 PM

giant_mtb

Soup DeVille

Unpopular opinion:

Power lift gates suck.

They just take too long. Its just another layer of complexity where its not needed.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 22, 2022, 10:58:08 AM
Unpopular opinion:

Power lift gates suck.

They just take too long. Its just another layer of complexity where its not needed.

I agree. They are too slow and complicated.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 22, 2022, 10:58:08 AM
Unpopular opinion:

Power lift gates suck.

I'm with you. I interact with power liftgates from all brands/manufacturers and I have yet to use one I actually like. They're just another gimmick (for laziness) that people can't seem to live without now.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Some good struts that control the closing motion are good enough for me. An easy to close, yet hard to slam, liftgate is all I want.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

I love love love the power liftgate.

And the new Sienna is hybrid:
https://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/sienna/2022
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 24, 2022, 05:02:51 AM

Agreed. If you have an armful of kids & groceries it's super useful. We miss the kick action sensor the CR-V had.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 24, 2022, 10:25:56 AM
Agreed. If you have an armful of kids & groceries it's super useful. We miss the kick action sensor the CR-V had.

I detailed a Buick something-CUV that had the kick action sensor...that was honestly neat and I could see that being useful when your hands are full. It even shined a Buick logo on the ground with an LED light in the area to wave your foot. But I've also detailed vehicles that have the kick sensor where it was completely unresponsive. 😆

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 24, 2022, 05:02:51 AM

Impressive fuel economy on such a big car!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

veeman

I've appreciated the power lift gates on my past and present SUVs.  They don't seem slow to open for me :huh: and I've never had one which electrically failed (although I haven't had the kick motion sensor ones).  For smaller hatchback cars they seem unnecessary but for larger taller SUVs I'd want one. 

I guess similar to my thinking regarding electric sliding doors for minivans.  Just overall better to have it. 

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on June 24, 2022, 02:44:25 PM
Impressive fuel economy on such a big car!
It's perfect for them in every respect.

NomisR

What about a Honda Pilot?  It's getting older but not a bad car, my wife's old pilot has a 2nd row captain's chair with a pretty roomy 3rd row.  It's comfortable enough for long road trips with 6 people.

RomanChariot

Quote from: NomisR on June 30, 2022, 02:21:43 PM
What about a Honda Pilot?  It's getting older but not a bad car, my wife's old pilot has a 2nd row captain's chair with a pretty roomy 3rd row.  It's comfortable enough for long road trips with 6 people.
I haven't been in the newer Honda Pilots but we have a 2011. We really like the car for daily duty but there is not much room for storage if you are using all three rows. I would be surprised if you could get a modern baby stroller in there without folding down part of the back row.

veeman

Most 3 row SUVs don't have a lot of room behind the third row unless you go really big and long like a Chevy Suburban.  In terms of 3 row SUVs which give you the best combination of size and fuel economy, I can't think of anything that tops a Toyota Highlander Hybrid.   The luxury make plug in hybrids are all a lot more expensive. 

dazzleman

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 19, 2022, 06:05:47 PM
Ford Explorer, Chevy Traverse.  Both are relatively fuel efficient for their size, 2nd-row captains chairs, split-folding 3rd row to maximize cargo space if/when a 3rd row seat is needed.  May be more readily available than a Highlander, but I do not know.

I think my nephew and his wife have a Chevy Traverse.  They have 4 kids and it seems to work for them.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Morris Minor

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 19, 2022, 09:01:24 PM
Thanks. I'll throw the suggestions out there. Resistance to uncool minivans is high unfortunately. Left brain does not always win. If it were me I'd call a dealer, tell them to ta ke a $5k deposit on my card for a mid trim minivan and buy when it comes in. Trailing around from dealer to dealer is miserable. They are all good. I wouldn't bother with test drives. 
They have done this... put down deposits to get in the queues with three different dealers in the Bay Area for a mid-upper trim Highlander Hybrid w/ 2nd-row captain's chairs. They'll take whatever comes in first and I'm sure will end up paying above top sticker.
The days of test drives and dickering over the price tag are gone for now.

AutobahnSHO

I saw a brand new Tahoe today. ANY minivan has more ground clearance than the rear suspension on that thing.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 08, 2022, 06:59:49 PM
I saw a brand new Tahoe today. ANY minivan has more ground clearance than the rear suspension on that thing.

Yeah. Why they had to turn it from a real truck wagon into a mega fat car, I don't know. I thought that's what the Traverse was for.

veeman

I've read the new independent rear suspensions on the new crop of Tahoes/Yukons have mega improved ride comfort, on road handling, and rear seat room all of which 99% of owners care more about over slightly less ability to do rock climbing. 

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on July 09, 2022, 09:58:55 AM
I've read the new independent rear suspensions on the new crop of Tahoes/Yukons have mega improved ride comfort, on road handling, and rear seat room all of which 99% of owners care more about over slightly less ability to do rock climbing. 

Oh, I'm sure.

People are dumb.
Will

Soup DeVille

The problem with making cars that most people want is that eventually it would make all cars the same.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: veeman on July 09, 2022, 09:58:55 AM

Yeah, but low capability, low durability, and high maintenance costs are not desirable in TRUCKY TRUCKS. If you want comfort and handling, there are eighty-five crossovers to choose from.

veeman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 09, 2022, 03:02:02 PM
Yeah, but low capability, low durability, and high maintenance costs are not desirable in TRUCKY TRUCKS. If you want comfort and handling, there are eighty-five crossovers to choose from.

I know, I know.  But honestly the Tahoe/Yukons aren't used for rock climbing/sand dune hopping outside of maybe the Middle East.  Maybe. 

People buy them because they're great highway cruisers and they can get you to any ski lodge,  hiking trail, or beach house you want to go to.  GM isn't going to mess with the success of their cash cow. 

Maintenance cost?  This car starts at $50 grand for a stripped down fleet version. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: veeman on July 09, 2022, 04:36:10 PM
I know, I know.  But honestly the Tahoe/Yukons aren't used for rock climbing/sand dune hopping outside of maybe the Middle East.  Maybe. 

People buy them because they're great highway cruisers and they can get you to any ski lodge,  hiking trail, or beach house you want to go to.  GM isn't going to mess with the success of their cash cow. 

Maintenance cost?  This car starts at $50 grand for a stripped down fleet version.

It starts at $50K because they made it all fancy with suspension and cup holders. :lol:

Morris Minor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 09, 2022, 03:02:02 PM
This is where the 4-Runner comes in - some level of creature comfort in a vehicle that can take a bit of a beating. But it's a small market segment. The Toyota Fortuner (a HiLux w/ SUV body) sells overseas, & other manufacturers have equivalents.  But they're too rude & crude for the US.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 10, 2022, 06:50:22 AM
This is where the 4-Runner comes in - some level of creature comfort in a vehicle that can take a bit of a beating. But it's a small market segment. The Toyota Fortuner (a HiLux w/ SUV body) sells overseas, & other manufacturers have equivalents.  But they're too rude & crude for the US.

We demand that our gigantic people haulers ride like couches here.

Lebowski

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 10, 2022, 06:50:22 AM

I love the 4Runner but it's not ideal for a family with 3 kids, esp if they are still carseat and stroller ages.  4Runner is best as a 2 row or occasional 3rd row use. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: Lebowski on July 10, 2022, 03:23:33 PM
I love the 4Runner but it's not ideal for a family with 3 kids, esp if they are still carseat and stroller ages.  4Runner is best as a 2 row or occasional 3rd row use.

Truth.

Eye of the Tiger