The Official Mustang Thread

Started by SVT666, June 04, 2007, 10:07:09 AM

JYODER240

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 14, 2007, 06:19:11 PM
I really want one too :rockon:

Just today on Desperate Housewives I saw a guy driving a red on red GT convertible, it looked great.

That's why people make fun of you.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on June 16, 2007, 08:58:11 PM
HEMI666:  HemiDude, THEY DID!  They're called FR500Cs and just today they took 1st, 2nd, & 4th at Mosport near you despite having to carry punitive lead plate weights to up the race weight to 3300 lbs on a car that weighs under 3100 lbs without the penalty weight--and they run a seventy percent intake restrictor plate as well.  And that 2nd place finisher had to start from the very last position due to being light at qualifying.  At one point, Canadians Scott Maxwell, Ken Wilden, and David Empringham were 1-2-3 in their Mustangs and would have finished that way if Empringham hadn't made a precautionary pitstop.  Be proud that the all-balls version of the GT-R is built in Canada!
I want a street legal version using that sheetmetal.  It's beautiful.

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on June 16, 2007, 09:45:58 PM
One of the aftermarket companies sells replicas of the GT-R bodywork, although the bodywork is not formed in steel.?
Really?  I haven't seen that.  Do you have a link?

SVT666

So is this a Ford Racing parts project, or is it a production car?

SVT666

FRPP Project Car Hints at New Products

by CP Staff

Ford Racing brought their toy store to the NMRA event last weekend at Milan Dragway in Michigan. Aside from the usual display of crate engines, there were a large number of project vehicles on hand as well.
One car, in particular, revealed a number of new or potentially forthcoming products from the company's Performance Products division.

The black-on-black car shown above, known internally as the "Sinister Minister" is reported to put out somewhere between 380 and 390 flywheel horsepower, according to company representatives.

The normally aspirated engine has been fitted with CNC-machined cylinder heads and "hot rod" camshafts. There is a noticeable lope to the car's idle and a definite "old school" sound to the engine. The car made several trips down the track at Milan and was clearly noticed by spectators as being unique from other S197 Mustangs on hand.
In part, that sound comes from long tube headers and an off-road X-pipe that have been fitted to the car. More than one Ford Racing employee claimed the black beauty to be their favorite of the group, which also included a 600+ horsepower Shelby GT500.

As yet, no part number has been assigned to the hot rod camshafts, however, a tour around the Milan infield in the Sinister Minister showed no driveability issues in the 90+ degree heat of the weekend, indicating that they could easily be released for non-emission compliant applications.

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on June 21, 2007, 02:36:29 PM
'Hard to say...it exists, it's been tested (which is where the 11.85 ETs came from), it is street-legal--so it meets safety, emissions, and noise regulations (not that easy to do on racing mufflers).? Who can get them and how they go about getting them the Nethead here does not know.? If you're Jack Roush or Steve Steeda or John Force or Tony Pedregon or Tom Nastasi or Larry Holt it would probably be easy to get one, or even several.? Being you and me, however, presents more difficulties.? I guess a call to a Ford Racing Performance Parts number somewhere in Dearborn, MI and saying that you want to buy an "FR500 without the C" would possibly get you in touch with someone who'll see if you have the heavy billfold needed to be taken seriously.? If you pass that scrutiny, they'll probably start talkin' real details and a delivery date, time, and location.? That's all I know, Buddy!
Where did you find this?

TheIntrepid

I saw a new Mustang today with a Cobra on the grille, a Shelby badge on the back and it said GT350 on the side. I didn't even know these existed!

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

Quote from: TheIntrepid on June 21, 2007, 02:55:29 PM
I saw a new Mustang today with a Cobra on the grille, a Shelby badge on the back and it said GT350 on the side. I didn't even know these existed!
They don't.  It's a fake.

SVT666

Newest performance parts company specifically for Mustangs: Shelby Ford Mustang Performance Parts.

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com

It's for 2005+ Mustnags only.

SVT666

If you read the description of this car, it basically states that this is a performance parts showcase car and if you want to build one, then you buy and install the parts listed.

You want to build the ultimate street Mustang? Then a supercharger is probably in your future. The FR500 Street was unveiled at the 2005 SEMA show and was an instant hit. This Mustang is the most complete example of Ford Racing parts available. It showcases the quality and engineering that goes into Ford Racing parts. With over one hundred and fifty 1/4 mile runs and ZERO failures the car shows that when it's done right it's fun AND reliable!

JYODER240

Quote from: Nethead on June 24, 2007, 10:15:09 PM
Update:? The FR500 uses the SOHC 4.6 at 500 HP.? In testing, they run:

0-60mph: 4.5 seconds

Quarter mile: 11.87@117.48

Braking 60-0: 118ft.

Fuel economy: Not Applicable!

100ft. Skidpad: .95g

Thats a really low 1/4 time for a 4.5 0-60.

Raghavan

Maybe 0-60 time is traction limited or it has some strange gearing.

ro51092

Quote from: JYODER240 on June 24, 2007, 10:23:01 PM
Thats a really low 1/4 time for a 4.5 0-60.

That's what I was thinking.

Raza

Quote from: Raghavan on June 24, 2007, 10:26:33 PM

Probably a traction issue. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raghavan on June 24, 2007, 10:26:33 PM
It's definitely a traction issue.  500hp in a 3500 lbs car that has 4.10 gears is going to be traction limited.

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on June 25, 2007, 10:59:07 AM
This being the official Mustang thread, it should be appropriate here to ask:

What has happened to the supposed "Boss V8", the artist previously known as the "Hurricane V8"?? :huh:

It's June 25th, 2007 and no one's driving one :(, no one's showing pictures of one :(, no one's making statements as to when it will be offered in F-150s or Mustangs :(, yada yada yada... :( :( :(

'Pipe Dream, huh?? :tounge:

?
My understanding is the Boss V8 and the Hurricane V8 are two different engines.  The Boss V8 is a pushrod crate engine and the Hurricane V8 is OHC unit that will be available int he next gen Mustang and F-Series.

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on June 25, 2007, 02:31:58 PM
HemiDude, I read back in the Winter that the "Hurricane" moniker was dropped in favor of resurrecting the "Boss" name due to bad vibes associated with Hurricane Katrina.? Who cares what they call a pipe dream???? A non-existent production engine by any other name is still a non-existent production engine.? I grant that there may have been some intent to actually produce this engine as recently as 2003 or possibly even 2004, but the wind changed direction somewhere around then and bringing out bigger V8s ain't gonna get you any in these troubled times...
They cancelled development on the engine back in 2004, but then resurrected it last fall.

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on June 26, 2007, 08:26:15 AM
Yeah, supposedly...Ford got flak for cancelling the development back in 2004 and I think they quietly dropped it again sometime after last Fall's resurrection--but they didn't announce the cancellation to avoid the flak they got back at the first cancellation.? Except for bore spacing, not much else could be offered in the "Hurricane/Boss/Whatever" V8 that couldn't be offered in the very adaptable Modular V8--which comes as a V8 or a V10 with either two-valve, three-valve, or four-valve heads with single or double OHCs.? Yamaha even made five-valve heads a decade ago for a 4.6 modular that was used in a concept Explorer called the "Tremor".? Where's the real need for the "H/B/W" V8?
I think they just need to design brand new heads and intakes for the Modulars and they won't have to worry about designing an entirely new engine.  That 5.4L should be putting out 375hp without much trouble and the 4.6L should be in the 330hp range.  THe engines are quite capable as I proved with my Mustang and that was with the gutless 215hp 4.6L from 1996.

omicron

omicron

Eye of the Tiger

If I ever have a 'stang, or any muscle car, it gets one of these immediately:

For a mere $5000, you can transform a pathetic 300hp Mustang GT into one genuinely badass fugly machine.? But OMG, there are no Shelby Cobra FR 500 stickahs! No worries, though, now you have 523hp to help get your frustrations out, and the satisfaction of knowing that you saved a real buttload of money.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on June 28, 2007, 06:58:13 AM
As of June 27th, Amy Boylan says Shelby American already has 1500 callbacks from GT500 owners wanting to schedule Super Snake upgrades to their GT500s.? For those with the bucks now, they can schedule bringing in the GT500 now.? For those who need some time to come up with the bucks, they can schedule the upgrade up to three years from now.? ?'Sounds fair enough...
Awesome.

BTW, I started this thread so that you wouldn't have to dig up old threads anymore.

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on June 28, 2007, 12:28:34 PM
The Honda Accord was in that pack, too, with 13 percent.
Thankfully people have enough taste that this didn't finish any higher.

Raza

How did the G6 make it that high? 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

How did the Mini Cooper become a coup

Rich

Quote from: Nethead on June 28, 2007, 08:36:06 AM
True, but since you can't edit non-Mustang postings from the thread that you started (go back and see just how many there are) this thread would be monstrously long from just one month of Mustang-related news & facts--not to mention the BS.?
You can't put it all in one thread or soon you'll never be able to find anything you'd like to refer back to, such as the three straight wins by Mustang FR500C #5 in The Koni Challenge? (the third FR500C built out of what must be thirty by now).

There is exactly one person on this board that would like to refer back to that information.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

JYODER240

Has anyone here ever read an entire Nethead post?

Rich

Quote from: JYODER240 on June 30, 2007, 12:13:33 AM
Has anyone here ever read an entire Nethead post?

Only if it's less than 3-5 sentences
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

omicron

Quote from: Nethead on July 01, 2007, 11:39:14 AM
JYODER240: Omniscience is a challenge, YoDude, but keep at it! The Nethead here found omniscience to be tough too when I was your age--but I kept at it and success came in due time. I post these facts to help the less fortunate along, and I am pleased with the progress of many of you. Of course, when you're posting Mustang facts, there are multitudes of them after forty-three consecutive years of affordable performance. It's my job.

Omniscience? I think you should try omiscience. :praise:

SVT666

There's another tuner inthe crowd now that will build turnkey versions of the 2005+ Mustang GT with over 600hp called Bash Performance.  They are featured in the latest edition of 5.0 Mustang and Fast Fords.