2021 BMW i4 Has The Tesla Model 3 In Its Sights

Started by cawimmer430, August 11, 2019, 08:29:42 AM

cawimmer430

2021 BMW i4 Has The Tesla Model 3 In Its Sights

The Tesla Model 3 continues to be the best-selling premium vehicle in the United States, but BMW is preparing to fire back with their upcoming i4.

Recently caught undergoing hot weather testing, the model is essentially an electric version of the 4-Series Gran Coupe. However, the cars aren't exactly the same as the i4 adopts a fully enclosed grille which will likely echo the one used on the iX3 and iNext concepts.

Moving further back, the car has slender headlights and a sculpted hood. We can also see flowing bodywork and fake door handles. The decoys reside above the actual door handles and it appears owners will need to stick their fingers inside a small recess to open the doors. The setup seems a bit odd, especially when retractable door handles are becoming more common.

Putting that aside, the i4 has a sloping roof which flows into a rear liftgate. The model also has an integrated rear spoiler and a curvaceous rear bumper with fake exhaust tips.

More notably, the i4 has an increased ride height that gives the car a bit of a Volvo S60 Cross Country vibe. We can also see what appears to be an aluminum support or bracket underneath the side skirts.

While the exterior styling will be unique, previous spy photos have shown the cabin will largely carryover from the 3-Series. This means we can expect a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster and a 10.25-inch infotainment system.

BMW hasn't said much about the i4, but the company has previously referred to the model as a four-door coupe that will compete in the premium midrange segment. The car will go into production in 2021 and be able to accelerate from 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) in 4.0 seconds.  It will also have a top speed in excess of 124 mph (200 km/h). More importantly, BMW has confirmed the electric vehicle will have a range in excess of 373 miles (600 km) in the WLTP test cycle.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/08/2021-bmw-i4-has-the-tesla-model-3-in-its-sights/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

giant_mtb

EVs are slowly creeping into usable long-range vehicles, which has always been my biggest complaint/issue. 350+ miles? Hell yeah, we're gettin' somewhere.

12,000 RPM

That range comes with hella asterisks. It would be more like 250 miles 6 months out of the year in the UP

And the skateboard platform design is sucking all the potential beauty and flexibility EVs promised

Im not with it!!!
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 11, 2019, 12:19:56 PM
That range comes with hella asterisks. It would be more like 250 miles 6 months out of the year in the UP

And the skateboard platform design is sucking all the potential beauty and flexibility EVs promised

Im not with it!!!

Well yeah. But. It's slowly getting there.

Raza

Well, it's not currently on fire, so that's a good start.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

2021, maybe available in 2020 as 2021 model.  My lease for the Bolt would be up by then, could be another option.

veeman

Car and Driver says starting price likely around 50 thousand in the U.S. which generally in BMW speak means around 60 thousand for those on the lot.  I think if they do keep the price in the low 50s, it could be a real player.  Is the tax break still around for new EVs?

Xer0

I kinda dig it, except for those dumb fake exhausts. 

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: veeman on August 13, 2019, 01:04:27 PM
Car and Driver says starting price likely around 50 thousand in the U.S. which generally in BMW speak means around 60 thousand for those on the lot.  I think if they do keep the price in the low 50s, it could be a real player.  Is the tax break still around for new EVs?

Tax break is based on how many EVs the manufacturer has sold. Tesla and Chevy have used up their $7500 tax credit. Chevy Bolts now get $3750, not sure is Tesla is the same or if they've used up that tier too, which would put them at a $1250 credit or something like that.

So it depends on how many EVs BMW has sold. I assume they're still at the $7500 level for a little while longer.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

veeman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 13, 2019, 02:37:55 PM
Tax break is based on how many EVs the manufacturer has sold. Tesla and Chevy have used up their $7500 tax credit. Chevy Bolts now get $3750, not sure is Tesla is the same or if they've used up that tier too, which would put them at a $1250 credit or something like that.

So it depends on how many EVs BMW has sold. I assume they're still at the $7500 level for a little while longer.

OK cool so Trump didn't axe that.  Yet.  I know he's wanted to in the past. 

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

afty

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 13, 2019, 02:37:55 PM

Tesla rebate is down to $1875 and will end completely at the end of 2019. GM is one quarter behind, so their rebate will drop to $1875 at the end of Q3 and end at the end of Q1 2020.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.