Motorcycles.

Started by S204STi, July 21, 2008, 10:19:36 AM

Cookie Monster

It was a crazy and fun 2 years, I guess.

Also very painful and expensive. I don't regret riding but I don't regret getting out of it either.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

shp4man

Still proudly riding my Harley Davidson, listening to that V-Twin music and feelin that low end grunt power!  :ohyeah:

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Get off the street.  Ride dirt.  That way you don't have to bumblefuck yourself under a guard rail or whatever the fuck you do to break shit. :ohyeah:

12,000 RPM

There are trees and berms and shit out there. I'm going to stick with a biannual track pilgrimage
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Speed_Racer

Found a route home yesterday that had curvy ashalt, dirt, mud, fall trees, deer, and leftover snow.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Speed_Racer on September 29, 2017, 10:31:23 AM
Found a route home yesterday that had curvy ashalt, dirt, mud, fall trees, deer, and leftover snow.

Leftover snow?  Where the heck do you live?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Nice. Spin any donuts?

I recently found a nice sand pit with perfect sand for practicing aggressive and slidey turns...can lay it down and not give a shit (besides sand getting all up in the controls).  I favor left hand turns...I can't whip good shitties turning right like I can going left...strangely applies to my driving in the snow as well.

Speed_Racer

Utah got some snow this past week in the mountains, and this road went high enough that there was still some leftover in the shadows.

And I need to get more comfortable with dirt riding before trying donuts. Though I did have some fun pinning it in 2nd gear down dirt roads. It's almost time to replace the front tire though so I'm riding pretty conservatively off pavement for now.

giant_mtb

Yeah those tires don't look particularly knobby. :lol:

shp4man

The dealer I work at took in a 2001 HD Softtail Standard in trade. Like this:

I considered buying it, selling the Sportster and customizing it a bit. It was cherry, with only 7400 miles, garaged/covered, like new. Offered $4k.....some other jackass that works here outbid me. :rage: :rage: :rage: :shakesfist: :shakesfist:   :lol:

giant_mtb

Your Ford dealer takes motorcycles?

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 29, 2017, 02:45:27 PM
Your Ford dealer takes motorcycles?

I've heard of car dealerships taking bikes on trade.  Some car dealer chains also include a motorcycle dealership.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Huh.  Never seen that, at least around here. But our bike community is tiny compared to warmer places, so it makes sense. :lol:

shp4man

Recently, we've had several bikes taken in trade. They even take bass boats and ski boats. thing is, they don't give much for them.

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 29, 2017, 11:46:55 AM
Nice. Spin any donuts?

I recently found a nice sand pit with perfect sand for practicing aggressive and slidey turns...can lay it down and not give a shit (besides sand getting all up in the controls).  I favor left hand turns...I can't whip good shitties turning right like I can going left...strangely applies to my driving in the snow as well.

I think a lot of off-road riders favor left turns because the rear brake is on the right, so you don't have to choose between covering the brake and having your leg out.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on September 29, 2017, 05:12:33 PM
I think a lot of off-road riders favor left turns because the rear brake is on the right, so you don't have to choose between covering the brake and having your leg out.

Makes sense. I haven't figured out if it's more of a mental block or a lack of coordination due to favoritism.  For now, it feels like both.  I'm the same way on my mountain bike, too.  Must have had a bad experience with a right turn somewhere in my life. :lol:

giant_mtb

I think as far as driving goes, I think left is favorable because I'm on that side of the vehicle with better visibility, so that's pretty explainable.

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 29, 2017, 05:33:40 PM
I think as far as driving goes, I think left is favorable because I'm on that side of the vehicle with better visibility, so that's pretty explainable.

There's also the entire passenger side between you and any hard object if the car pushes wide.  I think I actually prefer right hand turns in a car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

CaminoRacer

It could also have something to do with your dominate hand. I prefer going left in any vehicle.

Or maybe we've watched too many NASCAR races.

giant_mtb

I'm right handed, but prefer left hand turns.  Used to be left-footed ('til I got a left knee injury), but I dunno what takes precedence. 

giant_mtb

Couple of local enduros.  Loose Moose (easier) and the Mad Moose (hard enduro).  The Mad Moose was just yesterday...wish I woulda known, I would've made an effort to get out there and watch.  I've done bits and pieces of these trails...the turn 'n burn single track stuff is pretty fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL__TSFH5D4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbiMsy3TL8o

shp4man

Anybody seen this bike yet? This is retro as hell, but modern power and elecronics. Only thing I don't like is the steep fork angle.

https://riders.drivemag.com/news/new-bonneville-speedmaster-triumph-strikes-again

CaminoRacer

I like the fat front tire look

Speed_Racer

Triumph has been knocking it out of the park with new releases lately

12,000 RPM

Sport Rider is done! Ash on bikes, Motorcycle USA... when does it end? Where is the interest?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 10, 2017, 09:18:33 PM
Sport Rider is done! Ash on bikes, Motorcycle USA... when does it end? Where is the interest?
My last Sport Rider came today! Sad to see it go! I hate to say it but I might be changing styles soon myself..........
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CaminoRacer

You pussies.

Not that I ride very often. The roads aren't fun here. Gotta drive up into the mountains to get good curves, but then it's either a steep hill climb or a freefall coast down the mountain.

12,000 RPM

Bike has a flat and I let insurance lapse. I'll bet my brand new battery is borderline now too :facepalm: It's still warm AF here. I need to get some Friday rides in before I sell it. I also wanna hit a parking lot and practice getting a knee down. Just do figure 8s

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 10, 2017, 09:18:33 PM

Insurance industry basically killed the sport bike.  And the bike companies making them too hardcore.  The repliracers are too hardcore for older, monied riders, and too expensive to insure for the younger crew.  By association, the few non-RR sport bike out there also cost a mint to insure.  Now it's all about ADV bikes (and cruisers).

I also feel like the bike industry is still recovering from the recession.  People still don't have the disposable cash for toys, or are less willing to blow their limited extra dough on bikes.  Financing may not be as easy to get as it used to be, either, and before the recession, a huge number of bikes were financed through sweet, no money down, no interest for a year deals.
Needs more Jiggawatts