Motorcycles.

Started by S204STi, July 21, 2008, 10:19:36 AM

12,000 RPM

It seems like the industry has responded and adapted in kind though... 10 years ago naked bikes were an anomaly; now they are the norm. And they come in all power levels.

I think there is money for toys; look at the supercar boom. They are tripping over themselves in that market. Something else is at play, I think. What the motorcycling industry needs to do is try to normalize itself in the US as it is in Europe. Then again, there are geographic and traffic law differences that further discourage motorcycling here. I'm just scared of motorcycling completely disappearing... most of the bikes at the track day I went to were 10+ years old
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

You're not going to see many newer bikes at track days.  My dad worked in motorcycle sales for a stint before the recession.  Practically everything he sold was financed, meaning mandatory full coverage.  Insurance will drop you if they find out you took your bike to a track.  Also, the expense of repairing a bike for even a low speed incident is not cheap.  10 mph slide out on my Bandit did nearly 2K in damage.  On an older, paid off machine, repair costs will be cheaper and you don't have to carry collision.  The few people I know who do bike track days have a dedicated track bike, generally something older and cosmetically beat up, and a different bike for the street.

You missed my statement about monied riders.  The guys with money to drop on a bike are typically older.  A back-breaking Gixxer isn't going to be their bag.  Repliracers are more a younger man's game and most 20 something's, and even a lot of 30 something's, don't have the cash on hand to buy shiny new bikes at 5-figure prices.  Or the 2-3k per year insurance coverage if they finance the bike.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

I think even young guys aren't as interested in repli-racers. The whole retro thing is huge. Ducati is seeing a lot of success with their Scrambler brand, and Kawasaki and Yamaha both have plans or have already brought out retro-fied versions of their bikes. Triumph has also been belting out retro hits.

There are parallels to the automotive world to a large degree.... just as most luxury buyers don't give a shit about Ring Tuning and Brembo Brakes™ I feel like most motorcyclists will never see a track. I think the big opportunity for motorcycles in the US is marketing them as lifestyle accessories (sadly). I could totally see people like Raza and Submariner getting bikes to that end. An acquaintance of mine we linked with on our West Coast trip is, as he puts it, "rebuilding a vintage motorcycle" through some expensive workshop... he's exactly the kind of guy who would buy a Scrambler Ducati. And there is money there. I would get something like an XSR700 but I'd rather spend my motorcycling budget on track day rentals. And of course there is the whole cruiser thing which is 100% lifestyle.

But I think the big thing with magazines is missing the shift. They have to shift to more lifestyle stuff vs the track day comparos. Americans don't care about that shit sadly... track day boys are a fringe group

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 11, 2017, 06:40:21 AM

But I think the big thing with magazines is missing the shift. They have to shift to more lifestyle stuff vs the track day comparos. Americans don't care about that shit sadly... track day boys are a fringe group
Yup! Maybe i'm getting older but I skip past most of the track related stuff unless it's a compro of RRs. And then I usually just read the lap times. Most of them are so close it's a wash anyway........

As bad as I wanted a S1000RR I think I'm going cruiser in the next couple years! I'll keep the Gixxer (still plenty fast at 10 years old) but I'll be adding a (WTF am I typing) Harley to the stable. I really want a custom chopper but they cost too damn much.........
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

shp4man

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on October 11, 2017, 09:51:30 AM
Yup! Maybe i'm getting older but I skip past most of the track related stuff unless it's a compro of RRs. And then I usually just read the lap times. Most of them are so close it's a wash anyway........

As bad as I wanted a S1000RR I think I'm going cruiser in the next couple years! I'll keep the Gixxer (still plenty fast at 10 years old) but I'll be adding a (WTF am I typing) Harley to the stable. I really want a custom chopper but they cost too damn much.........

WTF?    :ohyeah:

Cookie Monster

I wouldn't mind some of the forward foot control bikes if my damn hips wouldn't cramp up and lock every time I sat on one.

Those Indian Scouts are so nice. Just so damn uncomfortable. I'd rather be on a repliracer.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on October 11, 2017, 09:51:30 AM

We don't do Harleys E. The only cruiser you are allowed to do is an M109R. With a fat tire kit. And a candy paint job :drool: Damn, I might fuck around and get one....

shp4man

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 11, 2017, 10:23:52 AM
We don't do Harleys E. The only cruiser you are allowed to do is an M109R. With a fat tire kit. And a candy paint job :drool: Damn, I might fuck around and get one....

If "we" is referring to to black guys, you may need to rethink that statement. I've seen a good number of African-Americans on Harleys.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: MX793 on October 11, 2017, 06:00:32 AM
Insurance industry basically killed the sport bike.  And the bike companies making them too hardcore.  The repliracers are too hardcore for older, monied riders, and too expensive to insure for the younger crew.  By association, the few non-RR sport bike out there also cost a mint to insure.  Now it's all about ADV bikes (and cruisers).

When I did my track day I was talking to one of the instructors/racers and he said the same thing - a lot of sport bikes are just too much for the street where you're never able to even get close to their limits. ("more fun to drive a slow car fast). His daily is a Bandit 1200. Maybe it's just where I'm at, but I don't see sport bikes as often as I used to - nakeds/retro are the most common, followed by ADVs.

CaminoRacer

My next bike might be a larger cruiser or tourer. Something that can tackle the long, straight desert roads
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: shp4man on October 11, 2017, 10:31:34 AM
If "we" is referring to to black guys, you may need to rethink that statement. I've seen a good number of African-Americans on Harleys.
Black guys on Harleys is a bad look, unless its a vintage Sporster

M109R chopper is a beautiful bike... that's a "pull up" bike. You don't go anywhere far on it, you just "pull up"

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 11, 2017, 12:48:59 PM

M109R chopper is a beautiful bike... that's a "pull up" bike. You don't go anywhere far on it, you just "pull up"

Looks uncomfortable...and where's the 'bitch' gonna sit?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Speed_Racer

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 11, 2017, 01:09:03 PM
Looks uncomfortable...and where's the 'bitch' gonna sit?

shp4man

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 11, 2017, 12:48:59 PM

Man come to Cleveland (Or Detroit or Philly or Chicago) and ALL you see is Black Bikers on Hogs! They're not ass Snotty as the White Harley riders but they still wont ride with ANY non Harley Bike...... Cruiser or not! SMH! Three of my close riding buddies have switched to cruisers (2 Ultra Glide and 1 Boulevarder) but they still ride with the rest of the Sport bike riders. My other boys/gals that have always rode Hogs won't ride with us at all!

Thats a dope bike! I really don't want a bagger so it will be something along these lines!

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: shp4man on October 11, 2017, 09:59:22 AM
WTF?    :ohyeah:
Next I'll be driving a damn Rustang! LOL!!!!!

Gotta-Qik-C7

This 2008 Soft Tail caught my eye. But the guy wants 18K for it! Custom Choppers are still priced crazy! I'm in no hurry tho......

SVT_Power

I'm not there yet, but I could see myself on something like this:

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Speed_Racer

Last week I bought a pinlock insert for my helmet visor, and wow what a difference! No more fogging. I should have bought one long ago.

giant_mtb

Why am I the only dirt rider here.

Edit: Speaking of, my main riding buddy with the KX500 just traded that and his shotgun for a Northstar Caddy. (Probably the most redneck thing Raza has ever heard in his life beyond a Tacoma with a dirtbike in the bed :nutty:)

12,000 RPM

OK guys, need cheapo tires for the 650 since I used fix-a-flat on the rears and cooked both ends at the track anyway. Only gonna ride in dry warm weather. I didn't mind the PR4s but they are expensive AF ($330 for the set, why?). Any reccomendations?  Ideal would be like $230 or so shipped for the pair. Thinking about BT-023s

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 12, 2017, 05:50:29 PM

Edit: Speaking of, my main riding buddy with the KX500 just traded that and his shotgun for a Northstar Caddy. (Probably the most redneck thing Raza has ever heard in his life beyond a Tacoma with a dirtbike in the bed :nutty:)
I ride my Quad but only when I'm in MI.

12,000 RPM

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 12, 2017, 05:50:29 PM

That is pretty redneck.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on October 13, 2017, 07:56:28 AM
That is pretty redneck.

Still blows my mind that you think a bike in the bed of a truck is redneck. Do you think only rednecks ride dirtbikes?

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 13, 2017, 08:12:22 AM
Still blows my mind that you think a bike in the bed of a truck is redneck. Do you think only rednecks ride dirtbikes?

Yes.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on October 13, 2017, 08:21:32 AM
Yes.

Do you think all extreme sports are only done by rednecks?  Dirtbiking, snowmobiling, freestyle MTB, snowboarding, etc?

Speed_Racer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 12, 2017, 07:53:41 PM
OK guys, need cheapo tires for the 650 since I used fix-a-flat on the rears and cooked both ends at the track anyway. Only gonna ride in dry warm weather. I didn't mind the PR4s but they are expensive AF ($330 for the set, why?). Any reccomendations?  Ideal would be like $230 or so shipped for the pair. Thinking about BT-023s

I've run two sets of ContiMotion sport touring tires on my SV with no complaints. Decent mileage and they did fine on the track, too. They run about $70-90 each