The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 19, 2017, 05:24:19 PM
If my photographic memory serves me right, his is a 351.  He put front disc brakes on it and modern seat belts.  Doesn't sound like he drives it much, though, since he's got the '07 and the Taurus SHO for traveling.

Said he might sell both 'Stangs and get a newer Shelby. 
Pretty sure mine had front discs. 

He should get a good price for the Mach I if it's in good shape.  A Shelby 350 R, or even a newer BOSS 302 would be the only excuse to sell the Mach I.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Hm, not sure.  He said it was a conversion, but maybe he just upgraded the discs or mis-spoke.  It's not in mint condition, but it's a solid "ten foot" car.

CaminoRacer

Probably upgraded the discs. Don't think I've ever seen one with front drums
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Really pleased with this Iron X stuff.  I see this white Accord annually and it's always just loaded with rail dust.  White cars are prone to showing rail dust more than most any other color paint, but this car in particular seems to be a fuckin' magnet for it.

Live action shot!  The stuff itself is clear (and smelly), but it turns purple when it contacts iron or other junk.  Let it soak for a minute or two, and wash it all away.  I've been diluting it 50/50 because it is a bit pricey ($20 for .5L), but a little still goes a long way.

Also detailed this behemoth yesterday.  3500HD.  Rides like shit with its high-psi tires and the owner had stiffer springs installed, but the thing moves.  He uses the 8' bed for a truck bed camper, so it probably rides a lot better with a load on it.

Looks like a goddamn train running you down.

68_427

Iron-X smells sooo bad though
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

Indeed it does. Works like a champ though.

BimmerM3

Soooo Explorer has a couple of spots on the roof where paint has peeled and it's starting to rust.

wat do? Since it's on the roof, I don't particularly care about it looking nice, though relatively close would be nice.

MrH

First, sand down the entire roof.  You have to get under the paint to stop the rust from spreading.  Next, dump a few buckets of ocean water on it.  The minerals in the water help promote strong grain correction in the metal.  Step three, spray over it all with plastidip to seal in the nutrients you just provided to the roof.

Should look good as new once you're done.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 22, 2017, 08:21:05 AM
Soooo Explorer has a couple of spots on the roof where paint has peeled and it's starting to rust.

wat do? Since it's on the roof, I don't particularly care about it looking nice, though relatively close would be nice.

Check your local hardware store for "rust converter" or "rust converter primer."  Use some of that, which helps kill the rust and is then a paintable surface.  May not be very pretty, but as you said, it's just the roof.  Sand it down first if you'd like or if the rust is particularly bad, but rust converter can handle basic surface rust.

BimmerM3

Quote from: MrH on June 22, 2017, 08:40:41 AM
First, sand down the entire roof.  You have to get under the paint to stop the rust from spreading.  Next, dump a few buckets of ocean water on it.  The minerals in the water help promote strong grain correction in the metal.  Step three, spray over it all with plastidip to seal in the nutrients you just provided to the roof.

Should look good as new once you're done.

I need to make sure to let the ocean water air dry so that the minerals crystallize before spraying the Plasti-dip, right?

MrH

No.  It's probably best to throw some road salt down immediately on top of the ocean water, to ensure it's locked in.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Love this brown, especially in the shade.

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

Buffed out this '07 today. Guy just bought it a few months ago, PO was an old guy...thing has under 58k miles on it. V6, 4x4, beauty. Black paint, and he gave me my three favorite words..."take your time."  Flex 3401 buffer.  Meguiar's Diamond Cut, then Wizard's Finish cut, followed by Collinite Insulator Wax and a spray detail after it was all done. 

68_427

That truck will run forever if he keeps it clean. 
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

Indeed. I'm sure he will. He's gotta be pushing 60, so he's already in old man mode with it. I checked it out underneath and it's clean as frig.  Doesn't get much better for a used vehicle around here.

BimmerM3

I like the SWB version too.

giant_mtb

It's uncommon to see standard cab, 6' bed trucks. I swear they're all driven by old guys, too.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 28, 2017, 09:37:45 AM
It's uncommon to see standard cab, 6' bed trucks. I swear they're all driven by old guys, too.

Makes sense - they don't have kids to drive around.

Or they're lifted for rock crawling, where SWB is a big advantage.

giant_mtb

I'm halfway to old man truck with my access cab with its pathetic rear seats, which are basically necessity-use only.  And that's how I like it...gives me an excuse to say "no, sorry, can't really take passengers" while still having room to carry things and gear. :lol:

I did enough chauffering in the A4 and loved it.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 28, 2017, 10:39:22 AM
I'm halfway to old man truck with my access cab with its pathetic rear seats, which are basically necessity-use only.  And that's how I like it...gives me an excuse to say "no, sorry, can't really take passengers" while still having room to carry things and gear. :lol:

I did enough chauffering in the A4 and loved it.

Haha yeah. Similar for me when the S2000 was my only car. Size of car plus the fact that I just so happened to live in the middle of my friend group meant that I basically never had to drive anywhere since someone else was always driving past my place to get to wherever we were going.

It's the exact opposite now with the Explorer. I always end up driving because I have the biggest car for both passengers and gear, plus crappy roads to trailheads aren't an issue.

CaminoRacer

Have you used this stuff for rail dust?

giant_mtb

Never used anything Griot's.  I have a sometimes-unnecessary aversion to anything you can buy off the shelf at a store.  Good stuff?

CaminoRacer

Dunno. I have a buddy that works for them now and he gave us a couple free bottles of various things, plus some high quality microfiber towels. He said the quick detailer he gave me will work on my flat/satin paint. I'm hopeful!

giant_mtb

So this was my parade setup.  It was super weird washing/detailing the vehicle in quadrants...took me just as long as if I washed the whole thing since I was being careful not to get the dirty stuff wet/soapy.  Me and the gf had a blast chucking candy at children (1,800 Frooties).  Also did 50 sandwich bags with some candy and a business card as well.

Only had a couple people ask dumb questions or not realize what I was going for here while most everybody else thought it was a cool idea.  Within an hour after the parade, I already had three new vehicles lined up on the schedule.

Looking forward to touching up the other two fender flares...forgot how awesome they look freshly blacked.  Used spray-can Rustoleum bed coating...the original Herculiner faded quickly and was a bitch to apply, but from now on all I need to do is mask it off and give it a spray.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some time to finish the other half...I feel like a fuckin' weirdo driving this thing around right now, so I've just been leaving the banners in so people don't think I'm too crazy (parade was just yesterday).

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1/giant_mtb/20170707_204615_zps1rqfy2w7.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1/giant_mtb/20170708_103810_zpsjei48wy2.jpg

EDIT:  Hmm, photobucket doesn't seem to allow hotlinking anymore.  What should I use instead?

12,000 RPM

G's PO seemed to have a penchant for awful rap music and drive thru car washes. Paint is all scratched up. Is there some protocol I can do or should I just pay my trusty detailer?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 09, 2017, 07:42:51 PM
G's PO seemed to have a penchant for awful rap music and drive thru car washes. Paint is all scratched up. Is there some protocol I can do or should I just pay my trusty detailer?

If you want to get into DIY, get yourself a cheap random-orbital buffer, cutting and finishing pads, the respective compounds, and some wax.  Then you get to practice on your own vehicle and I guarantee you won't make it worse.  Usually once your paint has been cut-buffed once, you only really need finishing cut about once a year depending on your wash regimen and how/where you drive.  You're a YouTube guy...there are so many videos out there on good buffing practices.

Look into some starter kits on Autogeek.net...the investment goes a long way.  For the cost of one detailing, you can DIY for years to come.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-porter-cable-kit.html

giant_mtb

I can't fucking stand the brainwashing of those $800 "paint protection packages" people pay for when they get a new vehicle.  "So, I don't know anything about detailing, but they said you're not supposed to use any wax."  So, I'm a professional, and you/they are full of shit. You spent $400 for some kid to put on a coat of paint sealant. :rage:

12,000 RPM

That package looks good, but steep. I don't know that I want to put the time in every year either. Wish you were local :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 11, 2017, 02:39:50 PM
That package looks good, but steep. I don't know that I want to put the time in every year either. Wish you were local :lol:

One day a year really isn't much of a sacrifice to keep your baby lookin' fresh, IMO, especially once you're past the learning curve.  But yes, I wish I could be local for all of you. :lol:

But hey, you asked!  Polishing by hand simply isn't effective enough (hardly better than waxing by hand), so going with a buffer is ideal. Browse the other packages they offer or build your own based on what you see. Honestly, you'd be set with a buffer, a finishing pad, and some Wizard's Finish Cut.  It's a great all in one polish.