The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

CaminoRacer

Yeah but where is the Kia thread?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Thinking I'm gonna pick up one of these.  My city has very hard water and the little in-line RV water filters I've been using don't cut it.  Pricey, but probably worth it.  It's a PITA sometimes to keep making sure I've got all the water off the paint, especially on larger trucks where there's enough time between washing one side and the other for it to dry off.

https://www.autogeek.net/cr-spotless-rolling-system-300.html

Could pick up something similar from the hardware store, but I like this one because it is portable, so if I'm ever doing mobile jobs like an RV/trailer or something else that I have to wash outside and potentially in the sun, I can take it with.

shp4man

Just finished hand washing and waxing the Focus. White paint  :facepalm: The shit blinds you in the sun, and in the shade you can't see if the wax is buffed off properly.
Plus it shows every microscopic tree sap/bird poop particle, which there were about a million of.

giant_mtb

shp4man

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 16, 2018, 01:31:03 PM
Gotta go by feel, mang. :rastaman:

Whats the worst color?
2nd question, recommend a brand of car wax.  ;)

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on June 16, 2018, 01:32:23 PM
Whats the worst color?
2nd question, recommend a brand of car wax.  ;)

Depends on what you mean. Black is worst in general because it shows dirt and swirls/scratches. Whites are also a pain, especially around here because rail dust, but they don't really show clearcoat scratches.  Both look phenomenal when clean (as most colors do).

Collinite 845 Insulator Wax. Available on Amazon. My go-to for the last couple summers.

shp4man

giant_mtb

Rail dust removal.  CarPro IronX.

A bit of degreaser or clear coat brightener is an excellent way to remove road film and gunk when washing to bring back the super white (wax after, of course). Usually only necessary on the lower portions of the vehicle that are most subject to road spray, like fender line and below.

One thing to always keep in mind, is that your wash is just as/more important than the wax itself.  Wax is just makeup...if you didn't take a shower and wash your face, first...sweet analogy, right? lol

shp4man

If that truck is any indication of your average customer I can see why you do a good business.

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on June 16, 2018, 02:30:32 PM
If that truck is any indication of your average customer I can see why you do a good business.

Thanks man.  Yeah, that's pretty much how they all come out.  I don't half ass anything...being a one man show doesn't allow for it. 

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 16, 2018, 02:17:07 PM
Rail dust removal.  CarPro IronX.

A bit of degreaser or clear coat brightener is an excellent way to remove road film and gunk when washing to bring back the super white (wax after, of course). Usually only necessary on the lower portions of the vehicle that are most subject to road spray, like fender line and below.

One thing to always keep in mind, is that your wash is just as/more important than the wax itself.  Wax is just makeup...if you didn't take a shower and wash your face, first...sweet analogy, right? lol
Amazing transformation.  What's your wash routine?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 16, 2018, 07:47:08 PM
Amazing transformation.  What's your wash routine?
IMO there are so many thousands of products it gets really confusing for normal mortals:
But I've sort of distilled it down to:
1) Wash with a bucketful of water and decent car wash liquid.
2) Clay bar
3) Pre-wax cleaner
4) Decent wax

I have some applicators for the cleaner & wax and loads of microfiber cloths & towels.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 16, 2018, 07:47:08 PM
What's your wash routine?

Oh boy...I'll have to type it up another time.  It'll take me 2 hours to thoroughly wash a full size pickup truck to my satisfaction, and that's at a professional's speed.  It might take me 4 hours to type up a wash routine. :lol:

Submariner

That Silverado looks brand new after you got through with it.  Impressive work.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on June 21, 2018, 09:15:23 AM
That Silverado looks brand new after you got through with it.  Impressive work.

Thanks man.  I truly enjoy it.  It can be a PITA sometimes working on neglected vehicles, but seeing the finished product and having a happy customer is always worth it. My current running joke for people that are all smiles when they see their car is "yeah, I went and got you a new one!" :lol:

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 21, 2018, 09:27:23 AM
Thanks man.  I truly enjoy it.  It can be a PITA sometimes working on neglected vehicles, but seeing the finished product and having a happy customer is always worth it. My current running joke for people that are all smiles when they see their car is "yeah, I went and got you a new one!" :lol:

I know what you mean.  Last week I washed by dads truck...it wasn't particularly dirty, but there is something very satisfying about giving it a nice hand wash and rinse. 

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 18, 2018, 10:05:05 PM
Oh boy...I'll have to type it up another time.  It'll take me 2 hours to thoroughly wash a full size pickup truck to my satisfaction, and that's at a professional's speed.  It might take me 4 hours to type up a wash routine. :lol:

Just wondered about type of soap, cleaners, etc.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on June 21, 2018, 10:11:52 AM
I know what you mean.  Last week I washed by dads truck...it wasn't particularly dirty, but there is something very satisfying about giving it a nice hand wash and rinse. 

Yeah, the relatively instant gratification is great.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 21, 2018, 10:14:25 AM
Just wondered about type of soap, cleaners, etc.

Soap - Meguiar's Shampoo Plus and Dawn Ultra
Wheels and Chrome - Meguiar's Wheel Brightener (clear coat safe, so a good paint cleaner, as well)
Tires/Wheelwells - Zep Industrial Purple degreaser (or whatever your local hardware store equivalent is)
Iron filings - CarPro IronX

Wax - Collinite Insulator #845

Interior panels and such - Meg's Quik Interior Detailer (with a dab of Hyper Dressing mixed in for a little more gloss...but not much, don't want anything greasy or reflective)
Leather - Meg's Leather Cleaner & Conditioner
Glass - Foaming glass cleaner (aeresol can) or isopropyl alcohol
Carpeting/Upholstery - Zep Instant Spot Remover and general carpet shampoo

Door Jambs (which I wash) - Meg's X-Press Spray Wax
Tire Dressing - Meg's Hyper Dressing

Ummmmm not much else besides polishing compounds and buffing pads and stuff which I can list if you're curious.

I use a lot of Meguiar's stuff. I buy by the gallon through AutoGeek.  Meg's stuff is priced great and their professional Detailer line of products work really well for me.  I experiment with new stuff here and there, but my core stuff usually sticks for a while unless I find something new/better.  I used to use Meg's Yellow Carnauba, which was good, but I'm really digging the Collinite wax at the moment, for example.

Stuff like glass cleaner, Dawn, degreaser, carpet shampoo, etc I just get locally at Menards.

CaminoRacer

Sprayway glass cleaner is my favorite. Comes in an aerosol can and doesn't streak

FoMoJo

Appreciate the information.  I got lots of time now to pay more attention to our car.  Just need a bit more energy.  I'll try some of the products you mentioned.

giant_mtb

Got my CR Spotless system in.  Got a dedicated output hose for it so I don't have to think about cross contamination or waiting for it to push out the un-filtered water. These garden hose quick-connect fittings (like an air tool) are a godsend.  Takes 4 seconds to disconnect my washing hose and hook the supply hose up to the system. It's rated for 300 gallons before fresh resin may be needed...will probably be a bit less with our shit municipal water...so it will only be used for rinsing, which is its main intended use anyways. It has a meter on it to indicate ppm so you know when it's time to change.  Sittin' at zero. :rockon:

Haven't used it yet, just got it put together tonight.  First victim comes tomorrow.

EDIT:  Confirmed, this is the real deal.  What a cool thing to have.

giant_mtb

This interior today was pretty trashed.  Started the day off with a Buick Lucerne that was already quite clean.  Then tackled this fairly neglected mini van...I dunno how people can stand their vehicle having a sandbox in the driver's footwell. hah

That stain remaining on the driver's mat was the best I could do...when salt stains are left to build for too long, they like eat the fibers and turn rock hard.  Nothing you can do.

Laconian

The minivan looks clean, but no Chrysler vans of that generation can ever look good.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on June 21, 2018, 09:39:32 PM
The minivan looks clean, but no Chrysler vans of that generation can ever look good.

They're quite...utilitarian.  I don't mind them, and they're very functional (Stow n Go is amazing), but yeah...not exactly lookers.

One of the best things about Stow n Go is it minimizes all the sub-floor rails and mounting points and shit.  Which on a vehicle like the Traverse, just get destroyyyyyed with gunk, especially with kids...wrappers, pens, lighters, batteries, bouncy balls, you name it...such a PITA to clean out.  They also get really sticky, making sliding the seats fore/aft a serious task.  Did a neglected Traverse the other day and the passenger side rear seat would hardly budge.

giant_mtb

Speaking of Traverses, I did an Acadia today for my dentist.  Doing his other car Monday.  He's paying for about 37% of the crown I had put in last week by patronizing me. :lol:

Also did an interior detail on this particularly dirty Rav-4.  Luckily, the carpeting on these Toyotas is very low-pile, industrial-like, so stuff like dog hair comes out fairly easily, as do stains.  Customer was very pleased.  Rolled up with a 6-pack of Busch Light pints as a tip. :rockon:

Long day!

CaminoRacer

Oh man that RAV4 looked disgusting

Morris Minor

Do you have a rug cleaner? (We have a thing that looks like a big vacuum cleaner that shoots water & detergent into the pile & sucks it out again.)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 22, 2018, 09:20:43 PM
Speaking of Traverses, I did an Acadia today for my dentist.  Doing his other car Monday.  He's paying for about 37% of the crown I had put in last week by patronizing me. :lol:

Long day!
What is that thing dangling down from the console?  You'd think the guy could've at least removed that before he gave you the car.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 23, 2018, 02:02:23 PM
What is that thing dangling down from the console?  You'd think the guy could've at least removed that before he gave you the car.

Eh?  It was just a phone charger. haha.