The Official MX-5 Miata Thread

Started by Onslaught, September 09, 2010, 01:35:50 PM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 09, 2018, 06:51:09 AM
Hey So cars in Hawaii rust out earlier than usual.. Lots of salt or something or other. Just so you're aware.

But they're also more valuable there- the used car market is loopy because of shipping costs and isolation.

Earlier than San Diego. Slower than any place with winter that salts their roads. Hawaiian (and other island) cars rust from the top down too, so they're mechanically in better shape than they look unless you actually drive on the beach regularly.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Hey, it's summer, it's ND time!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Xer0

Quote from: Laconian on June 07, 2018, 11:17:19 AM
Hey, it's summer, it's ND time!

:dance:

I didn't understand convertibles until I rented an S2K for a sunny weekend.  Man, its great.

Laconian

How'd you rent one? I want to try one before they all disappear.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Xer0

Turo is how I rent all of the fun cars I want to try out.  F-type, Civic Type R, and S2K I've currently tried.  I wanna check out a GT350 and an M3 that are on the service too, but they are like $300+ a day and I'm not sure if I want to drive them that badly.  Either way I would check it out and see what they have.

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on June 07, 2018, 11:38:41 AM
How'd you rent one? I want to try one before they all disappear.

If you ever find yourself in Ohio, you're more than welcome to borrow mine.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

S2000 is really the only sports car with which I'd consider replacing the Z4. I could see myself getting a TT coupe or roadster as a winter car, though.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Xer0

Where they any changes to the transmission?  From what I've read that has always been this cars weak point.  Either way, 26 more horsepower and that lighter flywheel will make this thing surprisingly quick.

68_427

Quote from: Xer0 on June 12, 2018, 09:42:13 AM
Where they any changes to the transmission?  From what I've read that has always been this cars weak point.  Either way, 26 more horsepower and that lighter flywheel will make this thing surprisingly quick.

Mazfa is on the fourth or fifth version of the tranny
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Xer0 on June 12, 2018, 09:42:13 AM

I think I saw on TCL that the official release said they are going from a single mass flywheel to a dual mass flywheel. Also the final drive ratio changed a bit (slightly higher, so should feel a bit quicker even without the extra HP).

MrH

That final drive ratio is only changing on the automatic is my understanding.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on June 20, 2018, 01:13:18 PM
That final drive ratio is only changing on the automatic is my understanding.

You could be right, I didn't pay that much attention to the specifics.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

Those ever so delightful Canadians...

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

HurricaneSteve

The US publications have been really slacking as of late. Most of their reviews/articles are downright terrible and incredibly biased. That having been said, what a great review. Went into great detail of the differences between the two and even gave a final verdict. If I was buying new of course the 2019 would be the one to get but as is I feel that my Sport trim (no touchscreen and navigation as well as no sound tube) is more than tremendous enough.

Quote from: Rich on July 21, 2018, 11:37:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWcGJTd1fI4

First review I've seen

AutobahnSHO

Found a black 94 for $1500. Has a munched rear fender, it's lowered, and says although the radiator fan is out it drives fine. Another "I was going to race it but never did" story.

Wife is away for the week, I'm waiting to see if she would be okay with it.....
Will

Onslaught

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 31, 2018, 05:11:52 PM
Found a black 94 for $1500. Has a munched rear fender, it's lowered, and says although the radiator fan is out it drives fine. Another "I was going to race it but never did" story.

"Munched rear fender"

So how munched? It's not that hard to find an MX-5 that's not munched.
bah weep granah weep nini bon

Tave

Posted this in GT, but what the hay:

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 31, 2018, 05:11:52 PM

Please stop pretending piles of shit are viable options. 

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 01, 2018, 12:18:43 AM
Please stop pretending piles of shit are viable options. 

Lol for a throwaway car?
Will

AutobahnSHO

Looks like it sold already anyway.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 01, 2018, 04:57:14 AM
Lol for a throwaway car?

Do you wanna drive the thing or throw money at it while it sits in the shop? :huh:

AutobahnSHO

Guess it's still for sale. Waiting for wife's reply.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1604385753005650

Dude is planning to drive it 80 highway miles this weekend.
Will

mzziaz

Spend a little more - get a better car.
Cuore Sportivo

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Xer0

Quote from: mzziaz on August 01, 2018, 11:39:26 AM
Spend a little more - get a better car.

+1

That has mistake written all over it.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."