Top Gear thread

Started by Mustangfan2003, November 17, 2010, 09:32:40 PM

CALL_911

Not bad, not bad at all. Some of the conversation was a bit awkward, particularly from Rutledge's end, but overall I think it has a lot of potential. I'm a fan.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

The Pirate

Yeah, the thing that most of seem to be forgetting is that it's another car show that's not NASCAR or mad-tyte doriftos, yo.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SVT666

I think you guys are being unfairly harsh on Rutledge.  He had some pretty funny lines.  I think it's pretty good for a first episode.  The first few years of Top Gear UK were pretty bad.  These guys are already better than they were in Seasons 1 through 4.  Oh and the banter on the UK show is mostly scripted too, so give these guys a break.  I don't want it to be exactly the same as the UK version because then it comes off cheesy and lame.  This has got legs man.

Northlands

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on November 19, 2010, 11:18:55 AM
So you Canadians missed out on Ice Road Truckers?

Hell no. I actually liked that show for a while. Maybe he doesn't have the same cable package I do.  :rastaman:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: Northlands on November 22, 2010, 07:31:17 PM
Hell no. I actually liked that show for a while. Maybe he doesn't have the same cable package I do.  :rastaman:

Too bad they aren't driving over actual frozen lakes anymore, that shit was crazy. 

the Teuton

Viper pt. 1:

-Rutledge is too stiff as a stage host.
-Tanner is one hell of a driver, almost too much so.
-None of them have that great of inflection for narration.
-Steady cam? What's that?
-Great idea for a game. I still like the tank and a Panda idea better so far, though.

Okay, back to the episode...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

One thing that really disappointed me was that there was no corny power ballads or anything playing in the cockpit cam while the Stig was running his lap.  That's a direct knockoff of the British program, I know, and this show does need to differentiate, but I really got a kick out of that.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

pt. 2

-Commercials kill the flow of the show.
-I don't like the NY guy. They need Adam Carolla.
-I do like Rutledge Wood. I think he'll fit in as this show gets going.
-I think the American Top Gear track is trickier than the British track.
-They all seem stiff.
-Oh yeah, commercials kill the flow of the show.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

Quote from: The Pirate on November 22, 2010, 08:11:58 PM
One thing that really disappointed me was that there was no corny power ballads or anything playing in the cockpit cam while the Stig was running his lap.  That's a direct knockoff of the British program, I know, and this show does need to differentiate, but I really got a kick out of that.

+4,000,000

The Pirate

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 22, 2010, 05:57:47 PM
Best line of the episode: "There's no Tupperware in space."

:lol: :lol:

No way dude.  Best was when they were making fun of Tanner Foust's drifting background, saying "you're the Brian Boitano of racing". 

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on November 22, 2010, 08:16:22 PM
pt. 2

-They all seem stiff.

No way, dude.  I think the NY guy (Adam Ferrara) has potential.  He was the most animated of the group.  And screaming "fuck!" every time he shifted when doing the run in the Lambo?  Awesome.

the Teuton

Buzz part

-Who's the lead host of this show? One of them needs to be the frontman to this three-piece band.
-The big moving Stig in the background is distracting...and amateurish.
-Where's the interview with Buzz? All they're doing is asking him about his cars, which is cool and all, but I want to hear a little more interview and a little less reading off from a list.
-Is the Teardrop the slowest part of their track? I've only heard that twice so far.
-Terrible mounting places for the camera in the car.

the Teuton

Quote from: The Pirate on November 22, 2010, 08:23:40 PM
No way, dude.  I think the NY guy (Adam Ferrara) has potential.  He was the most animated of the group.  And screaming "fuck!" every time he shifted when doing the run in the Lambo?  Awesome.

Haven't gotten that far yet.

giant_mtb

Quote from: The Pirate on November 22, 2010, 08:23:40 PM

That was pretty damn hilarious. :lol:

the Teuton

Lambo part 1:

-Great intro and production. One ups a lot of the Brit version's lately...which is certainly a compliment.
-Ferrara does better with the Gallardo piece. "That's a polycarbonate window so you can see the engine." Why, asks the unassuming, first-time viewer, is it polycarbonate instead of glass?
-Simile, simile, trite metaphor, etc. This show makes me miss Clarkson.
-Where are the completely politically incorrect rants? They haven't insulted anyone or anything yet except, perhaps, Catholics. But Catholics are offended at just about everything.
-With the Lambos, they're bantering. This is good. They're actually showing signs of chemistry.

the Teuton

Lambo part 2:

-They have two funny guys in Wood and Ferrara and Foust who's not. It shows signs of life.
-Steady cam? Please? I'm begging for this one.
-Ferrara: Four F-bombs in less than 10 seconds. Now that's more like it. Sometimes when you can't master British prose, American vulgarity is the next best thing.
-With the Lambo: That Teardrop bullshit again. Can we stop with the Teardrop already?
-Not enough "Jessica." Hell, not enough music at all.

Overall: It has potential. It's worth a second viewing, Jalopnik naysayers be damned. I'll give it a C+.

S204STi

Hey dudes, I know you don't realize this when you steal torrents of BBC's Top Gear, but that show has commercial breaks too; or it least, I would think so since each episode is only 41-42 minutes long.

the Teuton

Quote from: R-inge on November 22, 2010, 09:03:24 PM
Hey dudes, I know you don't realize this when you steal torrents of BBC's Top Gear, but that show has commercial breaks too; or it least, I would think so since each episode is only 41-42 minutes long.

No, it's usually 58-61 minutes.

SVT666

Whenever I watch it, they are 61 minutes long.

AutobahnSHO

nah, BBC can pick to not put commercials on. They can get lots of tax moneys......
Will

Byteme

Quote from: the Teuton on November 22, 2010, 08:16:22 PM
pt. 2

-They all seem stiff.

So record it and watch it later skipping the commercials.

Commercials are the price we pay for not having our television publically funded.  (thank god for that too)

Byteme

Quote from: the Teuton on November 22, 2010, 08:25:59 PM
Buzz part

-Is the Teardrop the slowest part of their track? I've only heard that twice so far.

Seems like the UK version always mentions how difficult the hammer head is as well. 

Byteme

Quote from: the Teuton on November 22, 2010, 08:41:25 PM
Lambo part 1:

-Great intro and production. One ups a lot of the Brit version's lately...which is certainly a compliment.
-Ferrara does better with the Gallardo piece. "That's a polycarbonate window so you can see the engine." Why, asks the unassuming, first-time viewer, is it polycarbonate instead of glass?
-Simile, simile, trite metaphor, etc. This show makes me miss Clarkson.
-Where are the completely politically incorrect rants? They haven't insulted anyone or anything yet except, perhaps, Catholics. But Catholics are offended at just about everything.
-With the Lambos, they're bantering. This is good. They're actually showing signs of chemistry.

Unlike the British version this show has sponsors who have paid money to showcase their products during the show.  I don't have to tell you what that means regarding show content, but I will.  "Don't offend potential customers of those sponsors".  

ChrisV

We'll see about that last, as it's still produced by the sme people on both sides of the pond.

As was mentioend, the first fee seasons of TG UK was bad. These guys are a little better already, and the bantering during th eLambo segment shows they may develop some pretty good chemistry. From what I heard from someone at one of the studio tapings, Ferrari was VERY funny with the audience and the other two guys normally, so hopefully the writing will pick that up as the season goes on.

Tanner can drive, but he's as charismatic as a wet noodle. Rutledge seems like every average car fan I've ever know in real life and on forums. Loved him ragging on Tanner's drift background. Came off as very real, like anyone on a normal automotive forum might do.

Some of the production values were definitely TG, but going back and forth between frame rates kind of made it jarring, giving some of the cut segments a shot on video look that didn't flow with the more film-like sections.

Overall however, it started out better than TG Australia, and is still a much better car show for the US than 90% of what we get. A great way for the TG franchise to expand, since it dosn't compete with the original, just augments it.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

the Teuton

Quote from: EtypeJohn on November 23, 2010, 07:31:50 AM
Unlike the British version this show has sponsors who have paid money to showcase their products during the show.  I don't have to tell you what that means regarding show content, but I will.  "Don't offend potential customers of those sponsors". 

I know. But that's pretty much the biggest reason why as good as this show may get, it'll never be up there with TGUK, not quite.

Vinsanity

Quote from: ChrisV on November 23, 2010, 09:22:28 AM
still a much better car show for the US than 90% of what we get. A great way for the TG franchise to expand, since it dosn't compete with the original, just augments it.

that alone is reason enough for it to stick around. I'm grateful enough for that.

ChrisV

When I was in Scotland and saw TG UK on the BBC, it had comercial breaks. And when you watch TG even on DVD (or from a torrent) you can see where those breaks are.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Tave

Do y'all not get UK Top Gear on BBCA? I do. :huh:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Byteme

MrH

I live on a college campus.  We have shitty cable service here.  Torrents it is!
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV