MrH's BRZ Thread

Started by MrH, June 24, 2012, 10:23:32 PM

Payman

Quote from: MrH on June 30, 2012, 01:28:51 PM
I just hate when they spell out Subaru on the back.  Seems unnecessary.  There's already a subaru badge a few inches away!

Overseas, they don't have it spelling out subaru.  Just the BRZ badge and the typical blue star shit from subaru.

Like 280Z said... wear it with pride.

280Z Turbo

We've got too many kids here taking off badges and dipping their wheels in candle wax.

It's like you guys get bored with shiny new cars that don't have cosmetic problems.

Payman

There's a good article in August's C&D about Toyota how fucked up big time in making the FRS a Scion. Totally agree. They should have gone with what enthusiasts fondly remember, like Celica, Supra, or GT86. Everyone associates Scion with boxy little crap cars, and instead of improving the image, they'll lose many sales to Subaru.

MrH

The back is just so cluttered.  I'll be lamin-Xing the taillights red first, and I'l see how it looks then with the badges.  Tint, clear corners, and red taillights all come first before considering debadging.

What are everyone's thoughts on the wheels?  Use the stock wheels as summer wheels or winter? 
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Payman

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 30, 2012, 01:38:39 PM
We've got too many kids here taking off badges and dipping their wheels in candle wax.

It's like you guys get bored with shiny new cars that don't have cosmetic problems.

When I shop for a used car and badges are missing, red flags go up.

Payman

Quote from: MrH on June 30, 2012, 01:40:22 PM
The back is just so cluttered.  I'll be lamin-Xing the taillights red first, and I'l see how it looks then with the badges.  Tint, clear corners, and red taillights all come first before considering debadging.

What are everyone's thoughts on the wheels?  Use the stock wheels as summer wheels or winter? 

Mount winters on them, and get some nice gold/bronze wheels for summers. That's what I'd do, since I'm not fond of the OEMs.

280Z Turbo

sportyaccordy

FR-S def should have been a Celica, completely agree.

Hopefully they use this platform to make a Supra. That would be a more appropriate marque to throw a big turbo engine into.

MrH

Turbo development on the ft86 forum is lolz bad. The "tuner" doing the work seems to know less than half the guys on there. People are going to trust their cars with his work. :facepalm:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on June 30, 2012, 01:39:23 PM
There's a good article in August's C&D about Toyota how fucked up big time in making the FRS a Scion. Totally agree. They should have gone with what enthusiasts fondly remember, like Celica, Supra, or GT86. Everyone associates Scion with boxy little crap cars, and instead of improving the image, they'll lose many sales to Subaru.

Although I do agree that this car should be called "Toyota Celica" (especially since the AE86's sporting heritage and notoriety didn't come until relatively recently) I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Although I think Scion is now redundant since most all manufacturers have a decent subcompact for you to buy, and Scions are actually pretty mediocre now.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on July 01, 2012, 10:20:55 AM

Although I do agree that this car should be called "Toyota Celica" (especially since the AE86's sporting heritage and notoriety didn't come until relatively recently) I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Although I think Scion is now redundant since most all manufacturers have a decent subcompact for you to buy, and Scions are actually pretty mediocre now.

I think it IS going to be a big deal. It's a great car, but enthusiasts don't want a Scion. Petty to some, yes... but it's a fact, and it's going to hurt sales.

TurboDan

Quote from: GoCougs on June 30, 2012, 10:40:22 AM
My state is front-plate mandatory, and one WILL get pulled over right quick without one.

Here too. Although I know a guy with an A4 who refuses to put a front plate on and just pays the tickets whenever he gets one. I think it's a $54 ticket and he just kinda rolls it into the price of the car psychologically. It's a no-points ticket so he really doesn't care.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on July 01, 2012, 10:41:10 AM
I think it IS going to be a big deal. It's a great car, but enthusiasts don't want a Scion. Petty to some, yes... but it's a fact, and it's going to hurt sales.

Hasn't stopped Hyundai.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on July 01, 2012, 10:44:15 AM

Hasn't stopped Hyundai.

Hyundai is held in much higher regard these days, but I also believe that the Genesis sedan and coupe would have benefitted greatly if Genesis were an offshoot premium brand, like Lexus or Infiniti. Some still have a problem with a Hyundai badge on their sports coupe, and sales suffer because of it.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on July 01, 2012, 10:55:10 AM
Hyundai is held in much higher regard these days, but I also believe that the Genesis sedan and coupe would have benefitted greatly if Genesis were an offshoot premium brand, like Lexus or Infiniti. Some still have a problem with a Hyundai badge on their sports coupe, and sales suffer because of it.

I suppose I can agree.

MrH

Quote from: Rockraven on July 01, 2012, 10:41:10 AM

Well, the BRZ can only steal so many sales.  The agreement between Toyota and Subaru has the production split already decided by them.  Both are sold out and order only and probably will be for quite awhile.

I agree, I hate Scion.  But it kind of makes sense from Toyota's perspective.  Here's a cheap, fun car.  Scion's brand is nothing right now without it.  If they're going to stick with Scion, they need to give it some decent products to help it along.  This is the biggest thing Toyota's done for enthusiasts in a long time.  If they didn't make this a Scion, the brand would be dead.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Payman

Quote from: MrH on July 01, 2012, 10:57:21 AM
Well, the BRZ can only steal so many sales.  The agreement between Toyota and Subaru has the production split already decided by them.  Both are sold out and order only and probably will be for quite awhile.

I agree, I hate Scion.  But it kind of makes sense from Toyota's perspective.  Here's a cheap, fun car.  Scion's brand is nothing right now without it.  If they're going to stick with Scion, they need to give it some decent products to help it along.  This is the biggest thing Toyota's done for enthusiasts in a long time.  If they didn't make this a Scion, the brand would be dead.

Solid points there.

68_427

I think you should go with RPF1 or Gold BBS STi wheels for summer.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

280Z Turbo

How about we just get rid of Scion and sell Toyotas as Toyotas at every Toyota dealership? Just because the Japanese like a different brand for every mood, doesn't mean that it works over here. Whoever came up with it needs to shut up and go have some hansei.

The dealership here doesn't even sell Scion. I have to drive over to the next town. What sense does that make?

Dealerships are worthless anyway.

Payman

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 01, 2012, 11:10:41 AM
How about we just get rid of Scion and sell Toyotas as Toyotas at every Toyota dealership? Just because the Japanese like a different brand for every mood, doesn't mean that it works over here. Whoever came up with it needs to shut up and go have some hansei.

The dealership here doesn't even sell Scion. I have to drive over to the next town. What sense does that make?

It would be great to configure your car online, complete financing and insurance online at the same time, click on the shopping cart, and your car is delivered factory direct to your driveway in a few weeks.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on July 01, 2012, 11:13:52 AM
It would be great to configure your car online, complete financing and insurance online at the same time, click on the shopping cart, and your car is delivered factory direct to your driveway in a few weeks.

Then you want a Scion.  ;)

2o6

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 01, 2012, 11:10:41 AM

Scion doesn't exist in the home market.

MrH

Ok, quick run down on plans for the BRZ.  Figured I better type this up or else I'll forget myself.  I guess you could call them "mods".  More just little things here and there to get it exactly how I want.

-Opti-coat the whole thing
-Lamin-X the rear taillights red + amber for the turn signals (actually considering yellow tinting the fogs :mask: it looks really good)
-Tint all around (still gotta decide on a tint level)
-GT86 key chain and license plate frame :lol:
-University Alumni plate once the new Ohio plates come out
-Wrapped knee pads and lower door panels with red stitching from the Toyota 86 (japanese market has them).
-Clear corners on the sides (orange clashes with the blue)
-Homelink mirror dealer accessory (probably going to try to get them to throw this in for free)

Some things I plan on doing myself:
-Wrap the instrument cluster hood.  Contrasting stitch in red to match the seats (unsure if I want to go with alcantara or a synthetic leather.  Also unsure if I want to put some sort of cushion underneath.  Deck or french seam too)
-Vacuum deposition the silver trim piece with real aluminum to get a brushed gun metal look.  Working with some people to get this done.
-Once Scion gets the armrest/console lid as a dealer accessory this winter, I'll likely reupholster it with both alcantara and synthetic leather and red thread, like the seats.  Probably put some nice, thick, dense foam underneath too.  Got a few ideas for this.

I might do this on the side for people on the forum too.  We'll see how this all looks when it's done.  Overall, it's got a great base for the interior.  Tons of features, nice layout.  Just some of the details were done as cheaply as possible.  I think it'll look much better and upscale with all of this touched up.

Still undecided on how I'll handle wheels and winter tires.  There's an LED kit too to make all the interior lights more white, less yellow.  Looks pretty good, not sure if I want to bother though.  There's a dealer accessory small sub and amp that fits in the side of the trunk nicely too.  Not sure about that either.  Also, the fender vents have a strake going across them in body color.  They make a dealer accessory to make them chrome.  That's how BMW does the M-cars, and it's a nice little contrast.  Not sure if I'm going to bother with it.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

280Z Turbo

ifcar

So where do you get a test drive? The dealer can't afford to subsidize everyone doing research if everyone then goes and buys the car elsewhere.

Soup DeVille

VW got in trouble a number of years back doing just that. Apparently for some reason, its against the law in many states for a car maker to sell their cars direct to the public.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

Why do you want red stitching in your blue car?

MrH

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 01, 2012, 02:28:45 PM
Why do you want red stitching in your blue car?

The whole interior is black and red already.  Just keeping with the theme.

:mask:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

S204STi

Quote from: MrH on July 01, 2012, 09:39:16 AM
Turbo development on the ft86 forum is lolz bad. The "tuner" doing the work seems to know less than half the guys on there. People are going to trust their cars with his work. :facepalm:

Direct them to Perrin or AVO in this case.  Both of them have experience doing conversions, successfully.

MrH

It's not my job to protect the stupid.

They also some guy ranting about how he gained between 1.5-2 lb/ft across the entire rpm range with a drop in filter :facepalm:.  Just mind blowing
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited