Speed_Racer's new ride

Started by Speed_Racer, December 15, 2012, 11:36:38 PM

Speed_Racer

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on December 20, 2012, 08:09:40 AM
Welcome to the Dark Side.

:clap:

Excellent choice. Love mine. I've put on 15,000 miles this year already and have not had a problem thus far. Just oil changes and tires thus far.

With the Fosgate system, you may want to just opt to Bluetooth Audio everything. I am not a huge fan of the iPod interface. I have not been in a car under $30k that seems to have a good one. The only other real complaint is not having a fuel door release in the car.

Otherwise it really is a brilliant mainstreamer.

Good to hear that yours isn't giving you any trouble.

The iPod interface is a little frustrating in that when scrolling you can't jump ahead by letter...you have to rotate thru each and every artist from A-Z. My solution is that I leave my Nano plugged in and play my library on random and when I want variety, I stream Pandora from the phone via Bluetooth.

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: Speed_Racer on December 21, 2012, 12:08:33 AM
Good to hear that yours isn't giving you any trouble.

The iPod interface is a little frustrating in that when scrolling you can't jump ahead by letter...you have to rotate thru each and every artist from A-Z. My solution is that I leave my Nano plugged in and play my library on random and when I want variety, I stream Pandora from the phone via Bluetooth.

I just Bluetooth it all the time.

In a way, that is the convenience of having all my music on my iPhone as well so I do not have to switch between it and my iPod Touch via Bluetooth.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

ifcar

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on December 20, 2012, 08:09:40 AM
The only other real complaint is not having a fuel door release in the car.

Huh! I personally like that system -- it's a locking cap that you open while standing next to it. I guess it's a problem if you'd otherwise have the car locked, though.

Anyway, add me to the yay-Kizashi chorus! And as yet another benefit beyond the driving dynamics and interior quality, the Kizashi was one of just two midsize cars (out of 16) to get a Good rating in the latest IIHS crash test.

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on December 21, 2012, 07:36:31 AM
Huh! I personally like that system -- it's a locking cap that you open while standing next to it. I guess it's a problem if you'd otherwise have the car locked, though.

Anyway, add me to the yay-Kizashi chorus! And as yet another benefit beyond the driving dynamics and interior quality, the Kizashi was one of just two midsize cars (out of 16) to get a Good rating in the latest IIHS crash test.

It's not a midsize car, it's a compact.  http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/31731.shtml
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: ifcar on December 21, 2012, 07:36:31 AM

I don't. When I am going to get gas, I just want to hit a button while I am in the vehicle and have it pop the fuel door open. After awhile, it's second nature to just hit the button or pull the lever. I miss the lever pull in my 89 Mazda 929. So simple and it worked brilliantly until the day it croaked.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Raza

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on December 21, 2012, 08:35:46 AM
I don't. When I am going to get gas, I just want to hit a button while I am in the vehicle and have it pop the fuel door open. After awhile, it's second nature to just hit the button or pull the lever. I miss the lever pull in my 89 Mazda 929. So simple and it worked brilliantly until the day it croaked.

It's funny, I'm the opposite.  Despite 8 years of a fuel door release button, I still never completely shook the habit of not having to do that.  Now that I'm back to a car that doesn't have a fuel door release button, it feels so natural.  I think it's all what you're used to.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on December 21, 2012, 08:07:47 AM
It's not a midsize car, it's a compact.  http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/31731.shtml

Because frontal crash tests effectively measure a collision with a car of the same weight, that's the metric the IIHS used. Other midsize cars by its metric are the A3, Buick Verano, VW Jetta and Toyota Prius v.

Speed_Racer

I've never really put as much thought as you guy into fuel filler doors.

Cars 1 & 2 had levers to release. The Trooper was swing open, but with a locking gas cap. Kizashi's gas door is swing open, but it locks and unlocks itself when you lock/unlock the car's doors.

Verdict: as long as I can fill up a car, I don't mind which tricks it uses.

Speed_Racer

UPDATE:

The car is doing wonderful. I think this is the longest stretch I've owned a car without something randomly breaking/failing. 26 mpg mixed and it gets an odd amount of positive attention. People stopping to ask what it is and look it over.

But all is not well. Bank contacted me today and said they haven't received a title. Called the DMV and it was never submitted by the dealership...which has magically disappeared. Yep, disconnected phone number, website taken down, vacated office. The whole nine yards!

So now I get to involve the Nevada Compliance Enforcement Division to go investigate. It is a dealership registered w/ the state, so I don't foresee any difficulties. I didn't buy it in a back alley with unmarked bills. It'll probably just take a while to resolve, because hey it's the government we're dealing w/ here!

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

J86

hotrodalex

BENZ BOY15

Cool! (your car...not the situation!)

Speed_Racer

Still working on the title situation.

But I drove it to SLC and back this weekend and got 34 mpg highway at 80mph. Loving this ride.

Speed_Racer

I decided to pick up an OEM roofrack while they are still available. It's a Suzuki-branded Yakima rack. $410 at REI, but only $150 thru Suzuki. It was a no brainer. I've got two bike mounts coming shortly so I can start exploring some trails up in the mountains.

Over 7 months in and the car has been flawless. I'm up to 16k miles (5k since I bought it). Currently I am only putting ~350 mi/month, since I walk to work. So less time to enjoy it, but my gas and insurance costs have dropped quite a bit.

Cookie Monster

Dude that's such a good looking car.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Secret Chimp

Jeez, that's a screamin deal.

Speed_Racer

With the bike mounted on the fork mount:

Also, still no resolution on the vehicle title issue. Nevada is taking their time and not responding to my calls.

Xer0

Man, what a good looking car  :wub:

Shame about Suzuki

Speed_Racer

Yeah, it's sad they had to leave.

There are three Suzukis in my family - I have two, my parents have an SX4. My brother is looking to pick up his own SX4 soon, too. They've all been perfectly reliable.

The brand never recovered from the Daewoo years when they peddled trash cars.

Cookie Monster

At least the bikes aren't going anywhere.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hotrodalex

Where do you put the front wheel while it's mounted? The trunk?

Secret Chimp

You borrow a wheel at the head of whichever trail you visit.

hotrodalex

I'd like to see the video of him stopping. :lol:

Minpin

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 01, 2013, 06:40:37 PM
Where do you put the front wheel while it's mounted? The trunk?

This is a BGK question if there ever was one. Sheeeesh.  :facepalm:
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

hotrodalex

Sorry for asking if it just goes in the trunk or if it mounts on the rack somehow that's not in the picture. Sheeesh. :facepalm:

2o6

There's actually a slot in the roof where the front wheel slips comfortably in the cabin.

hotrodalex

thewizard16

Very attractive car, congrats! Hope they get that paperwork sorted out soon for you.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.