Speed_Racer's new ride

Started by Speed_Racer, December 15, 2012, 11:36:38 PM

Raza

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 01, 2013, 06:40:37 PM
Where do you put the front wheel while it's mounted? The trunk?

You wear it on your head, like a hat. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Speed_Racer

One year update:

I'll roll over to 20k miles around Jan 2014. Averaging 27 mpg though I'm down to as low as 23mpg w/ my short trips in cold weather. The only issue so far is having a RR strut replaced under warranty/TSB for a design flaw that caused squeaking. Otherwise it's been bulletproof.

Oh, still working on getting that title issue taken care of.

I'm planning on taking it to an open track day or two next summer to finish up my tires before replacing all four. I'll try and grab video if I can find a way to mount my HD vid cam.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Speed_Racer

Three year update:

33.5k total miles and no news to report. I replaced the tires a year ago, but other than that it's just gas and oil changes. I finished paying it off last week so no more car payments either. No mods planned, I'm just going to enjoy having a car that doesn't stress me out like my old ones did  :praise:

Parked next to another one this evening:

Payman

Quote from: Speed_Racer on December 26, 2015, 08:36:49 PM
Three year update:

33.5k total miles and no news to report. I replaced the tires a year ago, but other than that it's just gas and oil changes. I finished paying it off last week so no more car payments either. No mods planned, I'm just going to enjoy having a car that doesn't stress me out like my old ones did  :praise:

Parked next to another one this evening:

Terrific car. Too bad Suzuki didn't have other competitive cars and had to give up the NA market.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on December 26, 2015, 08:43:12 PM
Terrific car. Too bad Suzuki didn't have other competitive cars and had to give up the NA market.

The Swift almost happened. Then VW formed the "alliance" and wanted to examine all of Suzuki NA's portfolio. Then the Japanese tsunami happened and then the yen tanked

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Rockraven on December 26, 2015, 08:43:12 PM

The SX4 isn't half bad either. My parents own a 2010 they bought new over an Impreza. The interior is just OK, but it's an absolute beast in the snow w/ AWD + snow tires.

12,000 RPM

I cant see the picture

I agree 100% though. Having a car that gets me from point a to b with zero fuss is phenomenal. I am too old for car start roulette.

Suzuki should have brought the guys who are on their bikes over to the car side. A real shame. I think a Swift would have been a nice addition to the NA market.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 27, 2015, 07:23:21 AM
I agree 100% though. Having a car that gets me from point a to b with zero fuss is phenomenal. I am too old for car start roulette.

My car sounds perfect for you, then.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Speed_Racer

Fourth year report:

38k total miles and no news is good news. Averaging 22mpg with my short local drives.
I did some rock chip touch-ups on the front end (Dr Colorchip) that turned out great. And after replacing three sets of headlights, I've decided the next time one burns out I'll convert to an HID setup. Otherwise, no plans.

In other news, I have a third Suzuki in the fleet for the time being - my parent's SX4. They just sold their house and are hitting the road as retired wanderers. So until they decide to sell or keep it as an extra vehicle I'll be keeping an eye on it. It's nice to have a winter car again.

MrH

Congratulations!  I guarantee you're the only person in the country with 3 Suzukis :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Speed_Racer

I have my eyes on a fourth: a V-Strom for long-distance touring. It's a weird addiction I guess.

MrH

Deep in the Suzuki headquarters in Japan, I'm sure you're widely talked about as the sole brand ambassador in the US.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Speed_Racer on December 19, 2016, 11:19:01 AM
I have my eyes on a fourth: a V-Strom for long-distance touring. It's a weird addiction I guess.

I want a V-Strom too. :rage:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Speed_Racer

Quote from: MrH on December 19, 2016, 11:37:02 AM
Deep in the Suzuki headquarters in Japan, I'm sure you're widely talked about as the sole brand ambassador in the US.

I wouldn't say no to a wall certificate or plaque

AutobahnSHO

whatever happened with the title??   Gorgeous car btw
Will

Speed_Racer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 27, 2016, 07:29:11 PM
whatever happened with the title??   Gorgeous car btw

It was such a fiasco!

Quick backstory for everyone: several months after I bought the Kizashi in Vegas, USAA told me they never received the title as collateral. It turns out that the dealer never submitted it to Nevada DMV, closed up shop, and disappeared to who knows where. Disconnected phone, shut off website, abandoned their offices.

I had to open a case with the Nevada DMV's investigation division. I sent a bunch of certified letters to the former dealer location to prove they didn't exist, they had to do research on their end, I had to fill out a bunch of Nevada documents for a duplicate title. Then in the middle of it all I moved back to Utah. I finally got the duplicate NV title issued after fourteen months of back & forth w/ Nevada DMV, then I had to transfer it to a UT title since Nevada neglected to list USAA as the lienholder and USAA wouldn't accept it.

Speed_Racer

Five-year report:

The Kizashi is currently at 44.5k miles and nothing to report for the previous 12-months. This autumn I installed fresh rear pads and rotors (quick and easy) and a new battery. Average fuel economy has increased to 25 mpg now that I am doing more hwy miles w/ new job. Other than that it has been another easy, uneventful year.

I got a rock chip that turned into a long crack but since they're ending safety inspections and the roads are full of rocks and construction debris, I won't be replacing the windshield until it gets worse. New tires are on the list for 2018. The BFGs I have now are close to the wear bars, and one has a slow leak from a plugged nail puncture. Plus they're so loud above 40 mph I can't stand it anymore. Paint chips from road debris are still an issue but there's not much I can do to prevent them. I'll just do an annual touch up and call it good.

I'm fairly certain sure my powertrain warranty ends in Q3 2018. IIRC my car had an Aug 2011 build date even though it was sold as a MY2012. From what I'm hearing, parts availability and shipping times are already becoming an issue for this car. With how few miles I drive I don't foresee it becoming a problem for me for a while.

In other Suzuki news, at one point this past year I had four Suzukis in my fleet. Still no trophy from HQ though. :( They need to get on their game. The SX4 I had been storing for my travelling parents was sold in Sept to a guy buying his daughter her first car.

CaminoRacer

Safety inspections are ending? Cool
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Speed_Racer

Yeah Herbert signed it into law back in Q1, they're no longer required after 1/1/2018.

Speed_Racer

Year Six Report

Another year with nothing exciting to report. I'm now at 51.8k miles.

• I installed fresh tires the very first week of 2018. General Altimax RT43s, and they were an excellent choice. So quiet, good handling in the dry and wet, and alright in light snow.
  • Last month I replaced the front pads and rotors, and flushed the brake lines. That was the only maintenance due this year. The next interval is at 60k miles (plugs, valve check) which I may reach in 2019.
  • Wind noise has developed at the top corner of the front doors. I'll have to figure out how to adjust the door seals to fix that.

That's all. It simply runs without complaint every single day; I couldn't ask for more.

cawimmer430

Glad your ride is treating you well.  :ohyeah:

Those cars are so rare here that whenever I spot one (they're around) it's like seeing an EXOTIC car. The Swift is very popular here, and I've seen a few Swift Sports around - sexy.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 18, 2018, 08:46:37 AM
Glad your ride is treating you well.  :ohyeah:

Those cars are so rare here that whenever I spot one (they're around) it's like seeing an EXOTIC car. The Swift is very popular here, and I've seen a few Swift Sports around - sexy.

Swift!

giant_mtb

I've used foam seal tape to plug windy spots with acceptable results.  Lots of densities and thicknesses to choose from.

Speed_Racer

Ooh great idea on the foam tape. I'll go find some and start playing around.

Eye of the Tiger

If the weather stripping is torn, maybe you can vulcanize it with RTV. Lube all the seals with silicone spray or grease

Speed_Racer

It's not torn, i think it's just shrinking a little w/ age plus I'm sure the cold weather has something to do with it. If I push on the seal from the inside while driving, it goes away. So it's not a big gap but just enough to give wind noise right above my left ear.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Speed_Racer on December 18, 2018, 11:04:51 AM
It's not torn, i think it's just shrinking a little w/ age plus I'm sure the cold weather has something to do with it. If I push on the seal from the inside while driving, it goes away. So it's not a big gap but just enough to give wind noise right above my left ear.

Maybe someone tried to break into your car by wedging the top of the door frame. It can be carefully bent back.  :mask: :lol: