Bug Life

Started by hotrodalex, June 29, 2014, 11:25:45 AM

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Rupert

Are we just posting numbers now?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

veeman

beautiful car.  love the red paint.  i don't think you can get that shade of red on a car from a dealer outside of an exotic.  i like the front bumper that's on the car right now.

hotrodalex

Yeah a candy color isn't something carmakers are willing to put up with.

hotrodalex

New headlights with turn signals on the bottom (1/4 halo) and the bumper is gone. Since it's a super beetle, it definitely needs something there. I think he's still deciding if he wants the Cali style bars to match the rear or something else.

Galaxy

Beautiful bug. I preferred it with the front bumper though.

hotrodalex

In case anyone was wondering, the propped open boot lid is not waterproof. Grocery bags over the carbs are necessary when parked. :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

Boot lid closed. No more grocery bags necessary, hopefully won't overheat in the summer.

Eye of the Tiger

Awesome, my screen is covered in hash mist
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

hotrodalex

hotrodalex

Here are a bunch of pics of the actual car, from way back on New Years

I used an old P&S camera from like 2004, but they turned out decent.

shp4man

Nice car- like the color.

MexicoCityM3

Hey hice!

These used to be super-common here but rapidly they've become somewhat rare by now.

VW Mexico did a las run of these with "classic" colours and wheels. Those are collector items now.

I drove a dark blue "Vocho" for a few months back around 93 or so. Basically every Mexican my age has driven one at some point.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

hotrodalex

My dad got it to relive his teenage days in Colombia. Except this one is a lot nicer and faster than most of the ones down there. :lol:

r0tor

Paint job looks fantastic
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Update: absolutely nothing has changed in a year. We do have an Optima battery to install, but who knows when that'll happen. The steering is quite sloppy at this point, so I've ordered a new drag link which will hopefully sort it out. Lowered Bugs love to wear out suspension bushings.

Next weekend I'll take it to Nashville and race it. Another red Bug should be coming along so we'll have a little gang.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

I installed the OCAP steering link last week and it got rid of all the steering slop. It's insanely direct now, still kind of wanders but I think it may have a bit of toe-out to blame that on.

It did pretty well in the autox. It needs a rear sway bar (and upgraded front bar to match) and some sticky tires to be competitive with the big boys, but I'm impressed as-is.

http://youtu.be/ESUAeiKn7LI

CaminoRacer

The old muffler is gone now, replaced by nicer dual chrome tips. A little quieter and much cleaner looking.

I'm gonna get a 3/4" rear sway bar + 7/8" front sway bar as a Christmas gift for my dad. Currently it just has a 3/4" front bar. I'm not sure if it's made for lowered cars either, while the new one will be longer and have caster-correcting bushings. Topline also sells camber bolts to get another degree of camber. I'm not sure if that's necessary, might do the sway bar and check the alignment before ordering those.

CaminoRacer

Rear sway bar is sitting under the Christmas tree.

Here's a pic of the new exhaust.

CaminoRacer

Soup DeVille

I'll have to check that out.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

DRIFT BUG.

3/4" rear sway bar installed. Pretty easy job, and it feels more planted and doesn't understeer. :rockon:

CaminoRacer

Made it into the Goodguys Gazette. :praise: I'm surprised at how composed it looks. I was flinging it around like a maniac.

Raza

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 05, 2017, 08:24:08 PM
Made it into the Goodguys Gazette. :praise: I'm surprised at how composed it looks. I was flinging it around like a maniac.

:golfclap:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.