Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

2o6

What is the internet's fixation on hating Buick?

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/03/qotd-can-you-make-the-case-buicks-in-2025/

I personally wound't buy a Buick, but they outsell a lot of brands in the US.

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on March 14, 2018, 01:28:54 PM
What is the internet's fixation on hating Buick?

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/03/qotd-can-you-make-the-case-buicks-in-2025/

I personally wound't buy a Buick, but they outsell a lot of brands in the US.

No idea. I think Buick makes a lot of sense. So many other near-luxury brands use the extra money for handling and performance, but what most people actually care about or experience is comfort. There's baggage with the Buick name but the concept is sound.

I was surprised to learn about the Enclave's 4800lb weight though. What a whale!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

I like the newer Buicks I drive/detail.  They're nice. :huh:

12,000 RPM

Buick makes more sense to me than Cadillac. With some tech and better design some Buicks could be (and are) Cadillacs

I think their big problem is getting people in the door. There's just not much passion or interest in the brand. And there are just too many brands. When Buick was hot there was no Audi/Acura/Volvo/Lexus etc like today. Hell foreign cars in general were still kind of a gamble.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

giant_mtb

Saw a Stinger the other day. Sweet car.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 18, 2018, 06:25:55 PM

Lookks good. I've seen a few around.
Saw a Stinger the other day. Sweet car.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

AutobahnSHO

Will

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on March 18, 2018, 06:05:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSE3fkeHAmo
When two morons meet.

Road rage is on the rise, and I think it's tied to the general sentiment of the country. The overall sense of entitlement is out of control.

Me? I would have just went around him/her. But situations like this would probably happen a lot less if people just moved over.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 19, 2018, 03:15:12 AM
situations like this would probably happen a lot less if people just moved over.

Totally- but it's downright criminal to brake-check.
Will

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 19, 2018, 03:15:12 AM
When two morons meet.

Road rage is on the rise, and I think it's tied to the general sentiment of the country. The overall sense of entitlement is out of control.

Me? I would have just went around him/her. But situations like this would probably happen a lot less if people just moved over.

People should all be put in convertibles. It'd solve road rage. When you watch these videos, it's often drivers in big vehicles—I see a lot of pickups and SUVs. Vehicles where people think they're invincible. In a convertible, you don't have a damn roof, so you know you're not. Makes you act differently. Plus, you know you can be seen and easily communicated with, so you act differently.

Also, when I studied psychology, I remember learning that a big part of road rage was the disassociation of the vehicle and the driver. People forget that it's people behind the wheel—so while they may deal with similar frustrations when walking on the sidewalk or in the store, they don't react the same way because they can see the people's faces and read their emotional state or the like better. Convertibles would put everyone on display for people to see.

And, I know I'm less road ragey when I'm driving my Z4 than I am when driving the S4. I had to actively change my response when driving the S4, whereas calmness was a natural side effect of driving the Z4
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

I have bad spring allergies.  Plus bird poop.  Plus dirty water coming from overhead structures in city environment.  Can't use blue tooth for phone calls.  Sunburn.  Sweaty or too cold.

I've rented convertibles.  The top down is cool for one drive.  Then I get annoyed :lol:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on March 19, 2018, 07:06:45 AM
People should all be put in convertibles. It'd solve road rage. When you watch these videos, it's often drivers in big vehicles—I see a lot of pickups and SUVs. Vehicles where people think they're invincible. In a convertible, you don't have a damn roof, so you know you're not. Makes you act differently. Plus, you know you can be seen and easily communicated with, so you act differently.

Also, when I studied psychology, I remember learning that a big part of road rage was the disassociation of the vehicle and the driver. People forget that it's people behind the wheel—so while they may deal with similar frustrations when walking on the sidewalk or in the store, they don't react the same way because they can see the people's faces and read their emotional state or the like better. Convertibles would put everyone on display for people to see.

And, I know I'm less road ragey when I'm driving my Z4 than I am when driving the S4. I had to actively change my response when driving the S4, whereas calmness was a natural side effect of driving the Z4
IDK man. Motorcycles blow a hole in this. We are highly visible, and also very hated, partially with warrant. I can't speak for most motorcyclists but I don't really think about mortality or vulnerability when I'm on my bike either. I will say I'm def less road ragey simply because I have more freedom on the bike. Every gap is good, acceleration is no problem. Don't have to do much thinking or pontificating at all on the bike, I just go.

Laconian

Uh, how do they blow a hole in it? Your argument don't support that assertion.

Bikers dress for battle and wear helmets that obscure their faces. There are studies about the profound psychological changes that come with wearing uniforms. They cut and thrust in traffic in unsafe ways. The adrenaline overrides their sense of self preservation and likely their empathy as well.

I'm with Raza. Convertibles have civilians in them, on display and vulnerable to the world. Very different.

shp4man

Quote from: Laconian on March 19, 2018, 10:34:47 AM

Bikers dress for battle and wear helmets that obscure their faces. They cut and thrust in traffic in unsafe ways. The adrenaline overrides their sense of self preservation and likely their empathy as well.

I'm with Raza. Convertibles have civilians in them, on display and vulnerable to the world. Very different.

Cut and Thrust? Adrenaline? LOL. I'll try to remember that next time I ride the Sportster. Plus, I have great empathy! I purposely try not to run over little old ladies, children and small animals    :muffin:   :lol:

Laconian

Quote from: shp4man on March 19, 2018, 10:39:16 AM
Cut and Thrust? Adrenaline? LOL. I'll try to remember that next time I ride the Sportster. Plus, I have great empathy! I purposely try not to run over little old ladies, children and small animals    :muffin:   :lol:

But when you ride, do you dress up like you're going to have a night out at the leather club?

I'm exaggerating but I do think that bikes are a less psychologically vulnerable choice than convertibles.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on March 19, 2018, 10:34:47 AM

Bikers dress for battle and wear helmets that obscure their faces. There are studies about the profound psychological changes that come with wearing uniforms. They cut and thrust in traffic in unsafe ways. The adrenaline overrides their sense of self preservation and likely their empathy as well.

Some bikers do the Power Rangers thing but down here many ride in street clothes + open face helmets.

But the hole is that we aren't on display or vulnerable to the outside world. In our heads maybe not but I can pull up a couple of road rage videos showing how "vulnerable" people in cars see motorcyclists.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 19, 2018, 08:39:56 AM
IDK man. Motorcycles blow a hole in this. We are highly visible, and also very hated, partially with warrant. I can't speak for most motorcyclists but I don't really think about mortality or vulnerability when I'm on my bike either. I will say I'm def less road ragey simply because I have more freedom on the bike. Every gap is good, acceleration is no problem. Don't have to do much thinking or pontificating at all on the bike, I just go.

Motorcycles are a completely different mentality—which is why I didn't include them.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MexicoCityM3

I personally think that I drive the calmest by far in electric vehicles.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

giant_mtb

I love gearing up to ride.  Hum yourself a sweet montage tune to get the blood pumpin. 

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on March 19, 2018, 11:09:46 AM
I personally think that I drive the calmest by far in electric vehicles.

LOL One would think so, until they look down at the speedometer. That unbridled quiet power is probably sneaky easy to go too fast.
Will

shp4man

Quote from: Laconian on March 19, 2018, 10:40:54 AM
But when you ride, do you dress up like you're going to have a night out at the leather club?

I'm exaggerating but I do think that bikes are a less psychologically vulnerable choice than convertibles.

I wear long pants, fingerless gloves, closed shoes or boots and a half helmet. Have a few checkered wool shirts to add a bit of style. That's about it.
I care more how the bike looks than me.

SJ_GTI

IIRC some guest was talking about this on the JRE podcast. He said the main reason for road rage is because when people are driving they are, generally speaking, in that fight or flight mode. The notion of driving a ~4000 lb vehicle at even moderate speeds is actually very stressful and requires quite a bit of alertness (compared to just walking around or something). I am probably paraphrasing it a bit incorrectly but it was an interesting take on the situation.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 20, 2018, 06:48:31 AM
IIRC some guest was talking about this on the JRE podcast. He said the main reason for road rage is because when people are driving they are, generally speaking, in that fight or flight mode. The notion of driving a ~4000 lb vehicle at even moderate speeds is actually very stressful and requires quite a bit of alertness (compared to just walking around or something). I am probably paraphrasing it a bit incorrectly but it was an interesting take on the situation.

That's some of it, but honestly what gets me mad is not if someone accidentally cuts me off- but if they straight-up don't know how to drive (like STOPPING on a long interstate entrance) or when they intentionally drive like a jackwagon, like cuting in line or whatnot. Usually because they didn't plan ahead so they're a few minutes late. 

The other day someone went flying by me on the straightaway out of Ft Drum (I-781goes from 20mph to 45mph to 65mph then straight for about 3-4miles). Then they slowed traffic on the 45mph curve onto the interstate (doing 35mph) so I caught up a few cars behind. Then they blasted again on I-81, doing at least 10-15mph over the limit. I set the cruise at 5 over. And was next to them about five miles down the road at the exit red light.
--Seriously makes me shake my head.
Will

shp4man

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 20, 2018, 07:14:53 AM
That's some of it, but honestly what gets me mad is not if someone accidentally cuts me off- but if they straight-up don't know how to drive (like STOPPING on a long interstate entrance) or when they intentionally drive like a jackwagon, like cuting in line or whatnot. Usually because they didn't plan ahead so they're a few minutes late. 

The other day someone went flying by me on the straightaway out of Ft Drum (I-781goes from 20mph to 45mph to 65mph then straight for about 3-4miles). Then they slowed traffic on the 45mph curve onto the interstate (doing 35mph) so I caught up a few cars behind. Then they blasted again on I-81, doing at least 10-15mph over the limit. I set the cruise at 5 over. And was next to them about five miles down the road at the exit red light.

Seems like these idiots are getting more common, too. Cops need to start ticketing just for safety's sake.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 20, 2018, 07:14:53 AM
That's because they don't know what the hell they're doing.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 20, 2018, 09:47:35 AM
That's because they don't know what the hell they're doing.

I chuckle every time someone can't take a corner. It's not like I'm squealing around the corners, either- I drive a minivan most of the time and either catch or dust people all the time. Then they go flying down the straights.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 20, 2018, 09:55:09 AM
I chuckle every time someone can't take a corner. It's not like I'm squealing around the corners, either- I drive a minivan most of the time and either catch or dust people all the time. Then they go flying down the straights.

I roasted a car in my El Camino yesterday. Was going around a cloverleaf, dropped it to 3rd, and byebye.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 20, 2018, 09:55:09 AM

In my experience, drivers in the southwest are like that.  All of them slow down for the slightest bend in the road.  Worse if there's an incline/decline tossed in.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5