300ZX Turbo Track(ish) Car Build

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, October 09, 2014, 07:46:39 AM

FlatBlackCaddy

So about a month ago I pulled my 300ZX from the market because it was pretty obvious I wasn't going to sell it(for what I wanted). Don't really think I was asking anything too huge but apparently the Z market(especially in my area) is downright laughable. Only ranking slightly better than the 240sx market(which I too, have decided not to sell). It was a pretty interesting summer though. While they are both very sought after, they both seem to have the small issue of being desirable to people with absolutely no money(and in the case of the 240's, no brains either).

While "entertaining" buyers of my Z I started to think. For what I was asking(and willing to take) I couldn't even come close to getting something of equal performance or condition. My desire was to sell everything and buy 1 car(of higher expense) and make it fairly track worthy. Candidates were mostly corvettes(C5 Z06's or C6 Z06's) with the occasional Cayman S floating it's way into my search(great car, reasonable to buy, expensive to modify).

Anyway onto the Z, I couldn't even get 12-13 thousand for it. So IF I sold it, and got 13K, what the hell could I buy that would even be close? A descent C5 Z is well over 20K(which I think is a bit nuts, but corvette guys are a bit more than nuts). So I figured why not just take what I would have got(13, maybe) and throw another 8K(or so) into it and have a nice track car. I do like the Z as a package, but was just ready for something different.

It seems much more logical, and for the "value" of the car it's hard to beat. A 430(ish) HP 2 seat sports car with 70K on it in VERY nice condition.

So, since this isn't worth anything and I can't see values going up(I've never bought a car as an investment) it appears these cars aren't "worth" anything. Also since I won't ever probably sell it, due to it's lack of value, I have no problem tearing it all up. Which is pretty much what I'll do.

Stay tuned, I'll put some updates in here as time goes by. Should get most if not all of it done over the winter.

Hoping to do the following.

-Aluminum Driveshaft and Quaife Differential install
-Suspension Bushings, Components and Coilovers Installed
-Redo Brakes, all 4 corners with larger discs and calipers
-New wheels and Tires(18"), don't know what rubber yet
-Roll bar installation
-Racing seats
-Various Weight reductions

FlatBlackCaddy

Phase 1 is going to be finishing up the suspension modifications. It's also probably the largest and most time consuming phase in what I have planned. I had originally purchased some coilovers for the car about 7 months ago(maybe more). I just never got around to installing them because the cost of the other components(control arms, bushings, etc) was pretty high and at the time I had 3 cars in the shop all at various stages of modification. It's pretty hard when you have so many and are trying to spread money out here and there. But now that the Evo is gone and the Miata is too I can focus(read dump) more time(money) into this.

I just received all my suspension stuff in the mail last week. It was a box that was about 70lbs. Consisting of pretty much everything I'd need to finish up the suspension. All for a measly 2500 dollars, what a deal.  :cry:

List of the parts:

-SPL Hicas eliminator kit(expensive, but rids the car of the stock rods and ends unlike other kits)
-SPL Upper Rear Control Arms
-SPL Rear Traction Rods
-SPL Front Tension Rods
-Z1 Front Upper Control Arm
-Stillen Sway Bars
-Powertrix Adjustable Front and Rear Sway Bar Links
-Energy Suspension Differential Bushings
-Energy Suspension Rear Subframe Bushings
-Energy Suspension Steering Rack Bushings
-Front and Rear Energy Suspension Bushing Kits(pretty much every other bushing I need in these two)

Also unboxed and inspected my Coilovers(Powertrix R/T's with Swift Springs), which I probably should have done months ago just in case there was something wrong with them. Everything looked good.

I realized since I'm doing the subframe and diff bushings I should have sorted some things out there. I'm going to order a one piece Aluminum driveshaft and Quaife Differential so I don't have to re remove the diff while doing this suspension stuff. So maybe that is Phase .5

GoCougs

If you want more than market value you do indeed see cars as an investment ;).

MexicoCityM3

:popcorn:

Nice. You're installing that yourself?
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

FlatBlackCaddy

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Pancor

Sounds like fun, and can't wait to see the finished product!     Take some pics during the install and post em up, threads like that are somewhat lacking here in "The Garage"!

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Pancor on October 09, 2014, 08:40:33 AM
Sounds like fun, and can't wait to see the finished product!     Take some pics during the install and post em up, threads like that are somewhat lacking here in "The Garage"!

I'll take all I can of what I'm doing and the steps along the way. Because everyone knows pictures makes reading funner. :lol:

12,000 RPM

This is gonna be a fun build. I wanted to do something similar but I've been to the track once in the past year and a half. If you can get to the track regularly a balls deep track build is a great idea
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

S204STi

I love these cars to begin with, and I think your mods are going to make it a stellar handler for sure.

MrH

Can you at least do something about those oversized, ugly 5-spokes you had on that car before? :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MrH on October 09, 2014, 10:48:40 AM
Can you at least do something about those oversized, ugly 5-spokes you had on that car before? :lol:

I'm selling the 19" wheels and going down to an 18" wheel. I'd even go down to 17 but the brakes are too big for 17" wheels.

2o6

You should really help out my Z31 friend. His VG30 Turbo is annoying and his car looks ragged as fuck.

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MrH on October 09, 2014, 10:51:05 AM
RPF1s!

Probably not, I'm having a hard time finding sizes that would work in those(and then an equally hard time just finding someone who sells them by size and offset instead of by vehicle).

2o6

FlatBlackCaddy

I've come across a few that I think would be OK, haven't given it too much thought though since the wheels will be the last thing I buy.

I like the Enkei RS05RR but I don't know if the multi spoke look would look good on a z32.

I really just care about weight, so the RPF's are always in the back of my mind. If I can find sizes that would work.

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

Rota P45Rs, they go up to 10.5" wide

Z32 is probably the best Z. Def the best looking.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

hotrodalex

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 09, 2014, 10:51:59 AM
(and then an equally hard time just finding someone who sells them by size and offset instead of by vehicle).

Ugh yes. Worst part about buying parts for a project.

FlatBlackCaddy

Anybody use a Braille battery?

I was checking them out last night, looks like I could cut 30lbs just from changing over to a Braille. They aren't too bad either, about 150 bucks.

68_427

Volk CE28N, TE37, Work Professor SP1....

Don't you already have TE37s?  You can probably trade for an 18in set.

Even some Nismo wheels

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

FlatBlackCaddy

I don't have te's they are one of the hundreds of look alikes.

I don't really want to spend 5 grand on wheels, so actual forged rays are out of the question.

Never thought of the nismo wheels, I think stillen sells them(or they did in the past). Probably a good(atleast light) wheel. I know all the new 370 stuff(sport trim and nismo trim) use rays. I wonder if i can get my hands on a set of those.

hotrodalex

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 09, 2014, 11:56:41 AM

I was checking them out last night, looks like I could cut 30lbs just from changing over to a Braille. They aren't too bad either, about 150 bucks.

What's the weight distribution? If it's front biased, get a battery that can be relocated to the trunk.

68_427

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 09, 2014, 11:58:50 AM
I don't have te's they are one of the hundreds of look alikes.

I don't really want to spend 5 grand on wheels, so actual forged rays are out of the question.

Never thought of the nismo wheels, I think stillen sells them(or they did in the past). Probably a good(atleast light) wheel. I know all the new 370 stuff(sport trim and nismo trim) use rays. I wonder if i can get my hands on a set of those.

You could pick up a used set for prolly 3K in like new condition.  18x10.5 CE28N are only 18 lbs.
'racecar is die'
no

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 09, 2014, 11:58:59 AM
What's the weight distribution? If it's front biased, get a battery that can be relocated to the trunk.

Don't know specifically, but there isn't enough to move around and get a better F/R balance. I'd be better off just striping as much weight off as I can and leaving it at that.

Besides, battery is in front and I'd rather exchange a 40lb batter for a 7lb battery and take the weight off the front than dick around and relocate a 40lb batter to the rear and make no difference in weight distribution.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 68_427 on October 09, 2014, 12:02:56 PM
You could pick up a used set for prolly 3K in like new condition.  18x10.5 CE28N are only 18 lbs.

I hate trying to find used, most of the time they are bent.

I should just call a nissan dealer, I see some wheels for 400-500 a piece(rays forged OEM) on a few of the site. It's not the style I want but the price should be the same, I'd think.

FlatBlackCaddy

I'd do the sport wheels off the new 370's

but I'd rather have 18's. Now that I think about it, Anything that's off the newer z's is going to be 19 which is just too big(unless I increase overall diameter).

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

S204STi

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 09, 2014, 11:56:41 AM

I've read mixed reviews. If you have a batter tender for long periods of inactivity, it might be fine.