Toyota Tacoma

Started by giant_mtb, May 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

AutobahnSHO

Will

shp4man

By Eileen Falkenberg-Hull? Ya, she's a truck expert for sure. Gimmi a break. Think Eileen has ever driven a truck for reals?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on February 05, 2018, 12:25:05 PM
Jesus man, why don't you get an American truck. Who gives a shit about the difference between Jap/Korean garbage?
These POS aren't even comparable.

The Tacoma is made in Fremont. Most Chevies/GMC are made in Canada. Medium duty Fords were until recently made in Mexico, and Ford even imports the Transit from motherfucking Turkey.

The only actual Chinese vehicles sold in this country have Buick badges on them.

You want the world to be this simple "us vs. them" affair, but its anything but.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on February 05, 2018, 02:50:23 PM
By Eileen Falkenberg-Hull? Ya, she's a truck expert for sure. Gimmi a break. Think Eileen has ever driven a truck for reals?

Why? Because she's a woman?

You know; she isn't the one that compiled that data, or interpretted it, right?

Please explain how being able to double-clutch or sidestep a 10' split is key to understanding reliability data.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 05, 2018, 03:39:12 PM

I'm glad someone else saw the sexism in selectively calling out the poor churnalist intern.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on February 05, 2018, 03:44:16 PM
I'm glad someone else saw the sexism in selectively calling out the poor churnalist intern.

I looked at her bio. She's not an intern, and is pretty automotive focused.

shp4man

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 05, 2018, 03:39:12 PM

You know; she isn't the one that compiled that data, or interpretted it, right?

Please explain how being able to double-clutch or sidestep a 10' split is key to understanding reliability data.
Double clutch..impressive. You were a truck driver. right? A base in reality, right? A real truck driver?
Data and reality are two different things. Always have been, always will be.

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 05, 2018, 03:46:01 PM
I looked at her bio. She's not an intern, and is pretty automotive focused.

Ah, I assumed "blog writer" = "unpaid intern". I guess I'm prejudiced too :(
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on February 05, 2018, 03:50:23 PM
Double clutch..impressive. You were a truck driver. right? A base in reality, right? A real truck driver?
Data and reality are two different things. Always have been, always will be.

Yes. I was. First heavy haul and cartage in the Ironworker's union. Later steel trains. Michigan law allows 11 axle rigs to run up to 164,000 lbs without a cab permit. Largest cartage load was 224 tons: a crown for a Danley press. 72 miles with twin-stick Autocar that topped out at 32 MPH.

And I drive a Toyota.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on February 05, 2018, 03:53:23 PM
Ah, I assumed "blog writer" = "unpaid intern". I guess I'm prejudiced too :(

That prejudice is at least based on experience...

shp4man

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 05, 2018, 03:55:12 PM
Yes. I was. First heavy haul and cartage in the Ironworker's union. Later steel trains. Michigan law allows 11 axle rigs to run up to 164,000 lbs without a cab permit. Largest cartage load was 224 tons: a crown for a Danley press. 72 miles with twin-stick Autocar that topped out at 32 MPH.

And I drive a Toyota.

Times have changed. Dump the Toyota. Trucks have changed, too.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on February 05, 2018, 03:58:28 PM
Times have changed. Dump the Toyota. Trucks have changed, too.

You're right. You couldn't pay me to drive a truck now.

giant_mtb

...what the fuck is going on here?  Get out of here with this fuckin garbage.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 05, 2018, 04:29:15 PM

Can't. gave up my CDL, and garbage hauling is a teamster's job.

shp4man

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 05, 2018, 04:29:15 PM

Ha. First time you've heard anything like that, huh? 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on February 05, 2018, 04:49:09 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure nobody's who grown up in a state that makes automobiles has ever heard "buy american" before; much less one who lives where there have always been more pickups per capita than just about anywhere else

93JC

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 05, 2018, 04:42:36 PM
Can't. gave up my CDL, and garbage hauling is a teamster's job.

:golfclap:

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on February 05, 2018, 04:49:09 PM

Not even close.  See:

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 05, 2018, 04:57:57 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure nobody's who grown up in a state that makes automobiles has ever heard "buy american" before; much less one who lives where there have always been more pickups per capita than just about anywhere else

You're being a moron, shippy.  Suddenly my decision to buy a Tacoma three years ago that was manufactured here in the United States of America is triggering you.  If you think a 2005 Colorado is a better choice than a 2005 Tacoma, you have no idea what you're talking about. 

The UP is super patriotic.  Shit, I know a guy who mounted a .50 cal on top of his fuckin' side by side.  What does he drive?  A Tundra.  Where was that Tundra built?  America.

RomanChariot

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 05, 2018, 06:27:40 PM

The UP is super patriotic.  Shit, I know a guy who mounted a .50 cal on top of his fuckin' side by side.  What does he drive?  A Tundra.  Where was that Tundra built?  America.

A .50 cal on your side by side is a good idea for when you need to clear the trees so you can get a better shot at the deer.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: RomanChariot on February 06, 2018, 08:53:18 AM
A .50 cal on your side by side is a good idea for when you need to clear the trees so you can get a better shot at the deer.

Plus sometimes the fish don't respond to hand grenades.
Will

giant_mtb

Did an oil change today and painted my side mirrors with truck bed stuff. Red paint was peeling pretty good on the drivers side, so I got a sanding block and coated them black.

She's dirty ATM, so it'll look even cleaner when I get around to washing.

SJ_GTI

The black mirrors suit the look of the truck.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Thanks.  I'm a big fan of red/black combos (I also have a red kayak and ride a red/black Honda... :lol:), and this Taco has come along nicely in that regard.  Fender flares could probably use a re-spray.  Maybe I'll get around to that this weekend.  Started raining today and it's not supposed to stop 'til Monday, so a good weekend for garage projects.

AutobahnSHO

We saw one the other day in blue in front of the bank (promo). Wife commented she liked it. I was surprised by the towing, I could totally get one.
Will

giant_mtb

Lost my front-left mud flap somewhere/sometime.  Was out cruisin' in the woods yesterday and could hear a lot of dirt hitting my paint, I was confus.  So at one point when I stopped to snap a couple pics I was like ohhhhh shit I lost a mudflap, that's why.  Luckily they sell them (Husky brand) in pairs, so I just had to order two new front ones.  $37, so not bad.  I do recall accidentally dropping that wheel into a washout some time last week, so that might have been what did it.  Dunno, didn't notice 'til yesterday. :lol:

Pics from yesterday, these were taken along Old US41, which is now part of the snowmobile trail in the winter.

Sturgeon River

giant_mtb

Wonderful Saturday morning for some Tacoing.  Got some rounds to put through my pistol (haven't shot it since I bought it).  Enjoying the scenery along the way to the defacto shooting range gravel pits.

giant_mtb

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

giant_mtb

More Tacoing.  Was up in Houghton (90 miles away, up in the Keweenaw) for a bachelor party over the weekend.  Took the long way home.  Dirt roads and ORV trail most of the way...what is usually a 1.5 hour drive on US41 turned into a 5 hour drive following old highways (now dirt), railroad grades, and powerlines. :rockon:

One mudhole was particularly deep (or at least, deeper than I expected) with high banks at both ends.  Had to do some back and forth to get through it, but smooth sailing otherwise.