I miss having a nice old car.

Started by shp4man, June 05, 2015, 02:32:34 PM

Cookie Monster

Damn son you really cleaned that interior up.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

shp4man

Thanks, figure on repainting the interior one section at a time, then a new floormat, then a real seat reupholstery job.

FoMoJo

Looks nice, but don't scrub off too much of that patina :ohyeah:.

What's that big handle looking thing under the driver's side dash?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MrH

If you ever want to get rid of that truck, let me know. 
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

shp4man

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 16, 2017, 06:18:26 PM
Looks nice, but don't scrub off too much of that patina :ohyeah:.

What's that big handle looking thing under the driver's side dash?

E-brake lever.

shp4man

shp4man

Got the drivers door resprayed today. Next is the dash. I've already done the glove box lid and ashtray. Need to remove the instrument cluster, restore it, and mask off the other shit. This will down the truck for a while. Guess I'm riding the Harley. My hair and clothes are full of metal flakes from overspray.

CaminoRacer

Metal door panels are the best.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

shp4man

Came out nice. I was impressed with the quality of the mail order seat upholstery kit.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

CaminoRacer

Tave

It looks super clean, good work!

I agree the mexican blanket was a nice touch.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

giant_mtb

Is it legal to carry the rifle like that or is it just for show?

shp4man

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 02, 2017, 05:43:38 PM
Is it legal to carry the rifle like that or is it just for show?

You can transport a firearm in California, but the ammo has to be in a separate compartment and it can't be concealed. I'm sure they'd find a reason to stop me if I made it a habit.

shp4man

It doesn't have to be pre- 1970 to be cool, or even super expensive. This is I believe an '81 model. But way cool.

shp4man

Put a new radiator in the old truck today. So the old Harrison original radiator was starting to leak at the top seam, it already had a bunch of other leaks, and the only thing keeping it going was a crapload of stopleak. So.. did a bunch of research. There are brass radiators available (likely Chinese, too), but $450 is above my Ramen eating price range. :lol:   I figured out the aluminum radiator that was available at Rockauto and other places was the same Chinese part, so ordered the cheapest one.
The part is listed as fitting a six, but in reality, it's a V8 radiator. Surprise.
After unpacking it, you can see the thing is fully half again bigger that the OE Harrison.

So I figured I would make it work. You have to completely remove all the old six banger shroud tin. 3 of 1/2 head bolts on each side 3 of 3/8 head bolts on the top.  The "U" shaped bottom radiator brackets are riveted on, and you have to grind the rivets off (not easy) to move them to the higher V8 position on the crossmember they mount on. Just used 5/16 bolts and nuts to re-attach them.

See the square holes? Those are the six banger radiator lower mount holes. Also had to get a new top radiator hose, as the old one was too short.
I used new rubber on the lower mounts and the OE rubber from the original six cylinder mounts on my "homemade" top bracket.

The advantage of this is nothing is butchered and the OE stuff could be bolted back in.
Also, there's room for an A/C condenser in front of the bigger radiator.

Now I can drive the truck uphill, in the desert at 112 degrees, no problem! Plus, if Mr. Six explodes, I may have enough cooling capacity for my dream engine, a big ass, premium guzzling, 375 horse 455 Olds! Zoom Zoom!  :lol:

FoMoJo

Looks good.   :ohyeah: on the 455.  You'll end up with a real rat rod.

shp4man

Like the baby moons? They're more different than I thought they'd be. Some outfit out of Salt Lake is selling them on fleabay for $40 a set, no shipping. Not awful quality, made in Taiwan. At least all the hubcaps match now, and they aren't Ford ones.  :lol:

FoMoJo

Looks good :ohyeah: .

Seeing that you're start modifying now, you can drop in the 455; or maybe a spare coyote engine that might be lying around the dealership.

shp4man

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 24, 2017, 02:44:11 PM
Looks good :ohyeah: .

Seeing that you're start modifying now, you can drop in the 455; or maybe a spare coyote engine that might be lying around the dealership.

The coyote motor would be a hell of a conversation starter.  ;)

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on September 24, 2017, 03:08:51 PM
The coyote motor would be a hell of a conversation starter.  ;)
Basically, I'm not keen on switching engine brands, but it would get the GM guys in a tizzy.

CaminoRacer

He could spend a lot less money and get a 383 with the same horsepower.

shp4man

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 24, 2017, 05:35:37 PM
He could spend a lot less money and get a 383 with the same horsepower.
I know what you're talking about,  a stroked SBC. But to my old ass, a 383 is a Chrysler engine. Besides, the low end torque of one of these is awe inspiring!  :praise:

CaminoRacer

All I know about Mopar 383s is that supposedly they aren't very good. :lol:

A big block would work in the truck. I don't usually care for them since I'm looking for high HP + low weight, but this isn't a race truck

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on September 24, 2017, 06:26:05 PM
I know what you're talking about,  a stroked SBC. But to my old ass, a 383 is a Chrysler engine. Besides, the low end torque of one of these is awe inspiring!  :praise:

Better get some fat tires to put on the back then.

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on September 24, 2017, 06:26:05 PM

The Caddy 472 is better in most ways than the Olds 455. Not a lot of support for it, but if it's a mild build it will do great.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 17, 2017, 05:33:36 AM
How about fuel injection for the current engine?
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=337554&highlight=fuel+injection[/font]

That's my truck forum.  :ohyeah:  Those guys do all kinds of mods on these old trucks.

shp4man

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 17, 2017, 06:06:02 AM
The Caddy 472 is better in most ways than the Olds 455. Not a lot of support for it, but if it's a mild build it will do great.

The Caddy motor is supposed to have some kind of special cylinder wall hardening process from what I hear.