Back in an E38, and it feels so right!

Started by ChrisV, June 20, 2015, 11:35:28 AM

ChrisV

And the ricing is done. Installed LED angel eyes as DRLs...

Man, this car is such a nice cruiser, and it gets all sorts of good comments at Cars & Coffee. lol!

After a few years, I may do the 6 speed manual swap, but it really doesn't need it to be fun to drive.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SJ_GTI

Quote from: ChrisV on July 10, 2015, 07:41:20 AM
After a few years, I may do the 6 speed manual swap, but it really doesn't need it to be fun to drive.

Huh, this is one of the few cars that almost makes more sense with an automatic. That being said...what type of auto does it have? 4-speed? Personally I would enjoy a 6-speed manual with just about any car.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 10, 2015, 07:50:11 AM
Huh, this is one of the few cars that almost makes more sense with an automatic. That being said...what type of auto does it have? 4-speed? Personally I would enjoy a 6-speed manual with just about any car.

A 7 definitely makes sense as an auto.

A 750i of that generation was involved in my "falling for" BMW way back around 96-97. Dad used to work at the first bimmer dealership in Mexico and one day brought the demo car and let me drive it.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

FlatBlackCaddy

If I got a E38 it would probably be the V12, big german luxos need v12s.

I also wouldn't mind a W220 S600 when they changed over to the biturbo 12.  :dance:

ChrisV

The auto is a steptronic 5 speed that has a manual mode. No it doesn't need a manual, but the cost on the conversion has come down enough and been scienced out enough that it could be a "cool" mod that people don't expect when you take it to Cars & Coffee. ;)

I would love a 750iL Sport, as it's the big dog with all the goodies EXCEPT the 3 spoke M wheel, sport seats, and the lowered M sport suspension. The 750s do tend to have fewer failure points (oddly enough) than the V8 cars, but they are harder on the suspensions. And more expensive when those failure points...well...fail. They aren't much quicker or faster than the 740i Sports, however, as the 740i Sport got the shorter final drive and it's actual (vs rated) hp is closer to the 750iL's actual power, too, in a smaller, lighter car. Who knows, in 5 years I could find myself in a 750iL Sport as an old man cruiser. ;)

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 10, 2015, 07:53:32 AM
A 7 definitely makes sense as an auto.

A 750i of that generation was involved in my "falling for" BMW way back around 96-97. Dad used to work at the first bimmer dealership in Mexico and one day brought the demo car and let me drive it.

Watch the first Transporter and tell me a six speed in an E38 isn't badass.

I kind of want angel eyes for my Z4.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on July 10, 2015, 11:49:31 AM
The auto is a steptronic 5 speed that has a manual mode. No it doesn't need a manual, but the cost on the conversion has come down enough and been scienced out enough that it could be a "cool" mod that people don't expect when you take it to Cars & Coffee. ;)

I would love a 750iL Sport, as it's the big dog with all the goodies EXCEPT the 3 spoke M wheel, sport seats, and the lowered M sport suspension. The 750s do tend to have fewer failure points (oddly enough) than the V8 cars, but they are harder on the suspensions. And more expensive when those failure points...well...fail. They aren't much quicker or faster than the 740i Sports, however, as the 740i Sport got the shorter final drive and it's actual (vs rated) hp is closer to the 750iL's actual power, too, in a smaller, lighter car. Who knows, in 5 years I could find myself in a 750iL Sport as an old man cruiser. ;)

If you do the swap, I call dibs when you decide to sell the car!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

That was a 735 though, isnt that the old big bore 6 from the early m5 or 535 (pre e39)

ChrisV

In the movie it was supposedly a 6 speed 750i SWB, but it probably was the big 6 in reality, as they are easier to find over there.

Some relatively clean pics between storms...

FlatBlackCaddy

I thought i clearly remember seeing a 735 badge in several shots throughout the movie.

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 11, 2015, 10:30:12 AM
I thought i clearly remember seeing a 735 badge in several shots throughout the movie.

Yeah, the cop even named it as a "black BMW 735". 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Submariner

Oh wow.  I'm jealous and a bit nostalgic all at the same time.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

SJ_GTI

Quote from: ChrisV on July 10, 2015, 11:49:31 AM

It would definitely be interesting, but IMHO a 5-speed auto is a good auto. I'd be tempted if it was a 4-speed Whenever I drive a an older car with a 4-speed auto I always feel like there is a missing gear somewhere.  :lol:

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on July 11, 2015, 11:46:05 PM
Yeah, the cop even named it as a "black BMW 735". 

Actually the inspector said '99 765, but Jason Statham's character said '99 735 right after. But, it's also not a '99, as it's a pre-facelift model with the '98-earlier headlights and front fenders.

Check it out from 4:30...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph1uoC4M-Z8

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on July 13, 2015, 03:52:59 PM
Actually the inspector said '99 765, but Jason Statham's character said '99 735 right after. But, it's also not a '99, as it's a pre-facelift model with the '98-earlier headlights and front fenders.

Check it out from 4:30...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph1uoC4M-Z8

Nope. It's tough with his accent, but he clearly says "seven thirty fives". Whoever wrote that translation got it wrong.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

Yup, i heard 735 as well. Always have heard it that way.

ChrisV

New pics from today in my favorite spot:

Man, I'm loving driving this thing.

SJ_GTI

ChrisV

Had a fun little meet this weekend:

Started out at Owings Mills Mall, then toured backroads to Full Moon Pub and Grill for dinner, then hit the backroads again to my buddy Aaron's for more beer and car conversation. Had 12 7s in total go on the initial tour, then 9 of us on the second half.

ChrisV

Back a month and a half ago, I drove out to the Catoctin Mountains and took it all on twisty backroads for 200 miles.  Absolutely amazing how such a big car feels so small and agile doing that.

I now have 158k miles on it, 6 months in, and I drove it down to St Petersburg, FL and back over this past week.

2000+ mile round trip and the car was flawless the entire time. Comfy and ate up the miles, returning a calculated 26.78 mpg at a 70-75mph average.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MexicoCityM3

What a car!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

ChrisV

Took it on a 2000 mile round trip down to Florida and back to visit family. 27mpg average at 75mph average. And it just ate up the miles.

Not even a hiccup. Didn't drive much in the winter, though, as it's not good in the snow with summer tires on it:

But once the snow went away, it was time to drive again. Have 10k miles on it now since I got it, and it's been excellent so far. Got a chance to wash it finally the other day:

Coming up on time for it's first maintenance, with an oil change for spring (oil monitor still says it's fine, but after 10k it's definitely time). And I have some Akibono ceramic brake pads to replace the constantly dusty stock type that are on it now (the front wheels get black in a week with the pads that are on it now. Hate that.) Far cry from the thousands of dollars a year that the uninitiated say it takes to maintain these cars... ;)

CALL_911

U should debadge the back. Thing looks awesome, though. Every single time I see a facelifted E38 (or E39), I'm amazed at how well they've aged. Don't you also have an E46?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

ChrisV

My kid actually had the E46, and he's getting another (an '04 330i ZHP). I had another E38 before. I've been thinking about debadging it, since the "i" is already gone from before I got it.

CaminoRacer

Ooh a ZHP.

I love the dark grey color.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

ChrisV

Well, coming up it's one year anniversary with me and still running perfect, with no repairs needed in the last 11k miles. Hoping to keep this up for the next 5 years or so...