Autonomous Cars

Started by AutobahnSHO, October 08, 2015, 08:53:13 AM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 11, 2018, 07:10:36 AM
There are plenty of trees around the farms down here. I drive by them every day

Yeah, but there are fewer than if the farms weren't there.

His definition and your recovering NYC perspective are just a bit different, that's all. North Carolina now is pretty much one big suburb within thirty miles of any of its big cities.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Basically, if you have neighbors, you're not "in the sticks." :lol:

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

AutobahnSHO

https://www.engadget.com/2018/07/15/roborace-completes-goodwood-hill-climb/

A car completes a fast hill climb (hard because the radar can't see over the hill crest).

The rapid corrections weird me out.
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 23, 2018, 06:54:27 PM
https://www.engadget.com/2018/07/15/roborace-completes-goodwood-hill-climb/

A car completes a fast hill climb (hard because the radar can't see over the hill crest).

The rapid corrections weird me out.
Wow. Probably a simpler proposition than the chaos of public roads, but still impressive.
BTW The Zoox place I linked above flew my son in for an interview today. Fingers crossed.

Morris Minor

Update: he got the job. First day was yesterday.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 14, 2018, 04:28:14 PM
Update: he got the job. First day was yesterday.

Nice! That would be fun. I might be looking for work in a couple years...... :)
Will

AutobahnSHO

LOL.

Apple has been really secretive about their self-driving car program.  Their car was merging onto an expressway at 1mph and got rear-ended by a Nissan Leaf.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/08/31/apple-is-late-to-a-self-driving-milestone-its-first-test-car-accident/?yptr=yahoo
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 02, 2018, 06:38:20 PM
LOL.

Apple has been really secretive about their self-driving car program.  Their car was merging onto an expressway at 1mph and got rear-ended by a Nissan Leaf.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/08/31/apple-is-late-to-a-self-driving-milestone-its-first-test-car-accident/?yptr=yahoo
First rule for autonomous vehicle engineers: American drivers would rather be beaten then shot than allow anyone to merge onto a freeway.
https://youtu.be/OjDLwnTyybo?t=6m12s

AutobahnSHO

Yup. That's pretty good though!

Of course it doesn't exist at all according to some.... :)
Will

giant_mtb

Get these things off the fucking road.

12,000 RPM

Wifey's grandparents are all basically incapable of driving anymore. The testing is ugly but this tech can't come soon enough.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Morris Minor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 04, 2018, 07:41:06 AM
Wifey's grandparents are all basically incapable of driving anymore. The testing is ugly but this tech can't come soon enough.
Agreed.
My 89-yr-old mother-in-law has just bought a new Buick Cascada. Pray for any nearby pedestrians or road users when she gets behind the wheel.  :facepalm:

Maybe we could have a human emulation mode for autonomous cars, to remind people of the good old days when people freaked out about a couple of kids dying from eating laundry detergent pods, but quietly tolerated the wasted time, pollution, & 37,000 deaths/yr as the price of humans driving.

AutobahnSHO

Will

2o6

I'm skeptical of autonomous driving because Lyft and Uber's driver apps are awful at wayfinding

Morris Minor

Quote from: 2o6 on September 17, 2018, 03:36:39 PM
I'm skeptical of autonomous driving because Lyft and Uber's driver apps are awful at wayfinding
Do drivers get penalized if they deviate from Uber/Lyft wayfinding because the plotted routes are garbage?

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 17, 2018, 04:15:39 PM
Do drivers get penalized if they deviate from Uber/Lyft wayfinding because the plotted routes are garbage?

Not really, but it'll likely screw up the pricing for the customer. Lyft has been doing this weird "flat fee" for certain rides.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Not surprising that someone (disgruntled) at Uber reveals they warned execs about their safety mentality.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/12/11/uber-ignored-safety-warnings-before-self-driving-fatal/
Will

Morris Minor

Another hazard for autonomous vehicle software engineers to work on: crazies who roam the streets of our cities:
--------------
A slashed tire, a pointed gun,  Bullies on the road: Why do Waymo self-driving vans get so much hate?

Police have responded to dozens of calls regarding people threatening and harassing Waymo vans.
A Waymo self-driving van cruised through a Chandler neighborhood Aug. 1 when test driver Michael Palos saw something startling as he sat behind the wheel — a bearded man in shorts aiming a handgun at him as he passed the man's driveway.
The incident is one of at least 21 interactions documented by Chandler police during the past two years where people have harassed the autonomous vehicles and their human test drivers.
People have thrown rocks at Waymos. The tire on one was slashed while it was stopped in traffic. The vehicles have been yelled at, chased and one Jeep was responsible for forcing the vans off roads six times.

More: https://www.azcentral.com/story/money/business/tech/2018/12/11/waymo-self-driving-vehicles-face-harassment-road-rage-phoenix-area/2198220002/

AutobahnSHO

Will

12,000 RPM

Laconian

Just randomly pointing a gun at a car? JFC
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on December 18, 2018, 07:57:30 AM
Just randomly pointing a gun at a car? JFC

Its happened to me more than once when driving service trucks.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 26, 2019, 09:40:12 PM
https://jalopnik.com/automation-transformed-how-pilots-fly-planes-now-the-s-1834176244

This could also go in the Airliners thread...
Truthfully, the biggest problem on US roads is a lack of law enforcement. Speed limits rarely matter, left lane camping never matters, ambling lane to lane while checking your social media feeds never matter. I'd gladly stop speeding if cops were equally harsh on speeders, phone users, left lane campers etc. People would learn better driving habits through punishment. It's the fucking wild wild west out there.

shp4man

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 02, 2019, 05:54:44 AM
Truthfully, the biggest problem on US roads is a lack of law enforcement. Speed limits rarely matter, left lane camping never matters, ambling lane to lane while checking your social media feeds never matter. I'd gladly stop speeding if cops were equally harsh on speeders, phone users, left lane campers etc. People would learn better driving habits through punishment. It's the fucking wild wild west out there.

+1

BimmerM3

Dear lord, you know we've reached a low point in the driving world when enthusiasts are calling for more enforcement. :lol:

Not that I really disagree with you.

SJ_GTI

Why does 12,000 RPM hate our freedoms?