4Runner

Started by MrH, December 24, 2015, 10:36:55 AM

BimmerM3

Quote from: SVT666 on January 07, 2016, 10:59:22 AM
My Explorer is a 2007 and has 212,000 kms (132,000 miles) and everything is starting to fail.  TPMS sensors are failing, rear window wiper died, front passenger side window has difficulty going up, has a rough idle and sometimes stalls, transmission is acting up with hard shifts and delayed engagement, the interior lights come on whenever I hit a bump or step on the brakes, and the heater core is failing now.  Unfortunately, almost all of these issues have popped up in the last 10,000 kms.  I'm debating whether to fix everything, or just fix some things, or do I get a new truck because I'm worried about what else will fail after I pay to fix what's currently wrong.  It's going to cost nearly as much as what the truck is worth to fix all that is wrong with it right now.

Well, luckily mine only has 95kish miles, and I'll probably only drive it 8k miles or so per year. Maybe less.

Raza

How is the ride now?  I just was in a 4Runner as an UberX.  I was expecting the ride to be a little worse than something like a Suburban or Tahoe, but it was really rough.  Older model than yours, though. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Rides pretty well actually. It's a truck, but it's a world of difference compared to my dad's F150.

Once I get the trd pro stuff on, it'll float over potholes and such. More nose dive and a little more body roll, but I can live with that.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Huh, just seeing this thread for the first time.

What kind of issues did you have with the Genesis? My dad's boss/best friend has had one for a while (6-9 months) and he is pretty happy with it. I have been driven in it a couple times and it seems pretty nice.

I can understand the desire for new cars. Before I bought ym current car I was switching out every 2-3 years (and probably getting bored after a year or so). I think once you find the right car you will likely stick with it. The fact all your cars have been so different tells me you haven't found that right car yet.

MrH

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 11, 2016, 09:26:31 AM
Huh, just seeing this thread for the first time.

What kind of issues did you have with the Genesis? My dad's boss/best friend has had one for a while (6-9 months) and he is pretty happy with it. I have been driven in it a couple times and it seems pretty nice.

I can understand the desire for new cars. Before I bought ym current car I was switching out every 2-3 years (and probably getting bored after a year or so). I think once you find the right car you will likely stick with it. The fact all your cars have been so different tells me you haven't found that right car yet.

I had a ton of lane drift issues.  Stereo went haywire constantly, but the dealer could never replicate it so they wouldn't do anything, O2 sensor, some vibrations, and a few other things I forget.

The steering was really goofy in that car.  Abnormally heavy in the strangest scenarios.  It was really tiring over distance.  The seats were terrible too.

So far, I'm really glad I got the 4Runner.  Already carried 12 boxes of flooring, miter saw, table saw, a bunch of people, all sorts of things.  Tons of utility in a livable package.

Oddly enough, compared to the genesis: better steering feel, brake feel, and ride quality.  Pretty sad when a truck based SUV is better in some of the basic feel categories as a "sports sedan".
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

280Z Turbo

Quote from: MrH on January 11, 2016, 07:34:31 PM
I had a ton of lane drift issues.  Stereo went haywire constantly, but the dealer could never replicate it so they wouldn't do anything, O2 sensor, some vibrations, and a few other things I forget.

The steering was really goofy in that car.  Abnormally heavy in the strangest scenarios.  It was really tiring over distance.  The seats were terrible too.

So far, I'm really glad I got the 4Runner.  Already carried 12 boxes of flooring, miter saw, table saw, a bunch of people, all sorts of things.  Tons of utility in a livable package.

Oddly enough, compared to the genesis: better steering feel, brake feel, and ride quality.  Pretty sad when a truck based SUV is better in some of the basic feel categories as a "sports sedan".

You should complain to Hyundai so that some Koreans can be berated and bitch-slapped by their boss. :lol:

MrH

I've lost all faith in them.  That was supposed to be their best effort.  They really don't understand handling dynamics at all.  The new Genesis is leagues better, but I cringe when I drive my girlfriend's tucson.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

ifcar

Quote from: MrH on January 11, 2016, 08:56:49 PM
I've lost all faith in them.  That was supposed to be their best effort.  They really don't understand handling dynamics at all.  The new Genesis is leagues better, but I cringe when I drive my girlfriend's tucson.

Cut them some slack -- it was their best effort in 2008. And which full-size cars in the low $30,000s were showing off amazing handling in 2008? 300? Taurus? Avalon? Your expectations may just not have been in line with what's realistic for a relatively affordable car, and I think you're a little over the top in the criticisms. In my experience, the first generation Genesis was generally above average in its class for handling, and you criticized its ride after buying the stiffer-riding sport version.

Rupert

I usually figure take H's complaints and boasts and cut them in half to get to what's really happening. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

BimmerM3

Quote from: ifcar on January 11, 2016, 09:09:36 PM
Cut them some slack -- it was their best effort in 2008. And which full-size cars in the low $30,000s were showing off amazing handling in 2008? 300? Taurus? Avalon? Your expectations may just not have been in line with what's realistic for a relatively affordable car, and I think you're a little over the top in the criticisms. In my experience, the first generation Genesis was generally above average in its class for handling, and you criticized its ride after buying the stiffer-riding sport version.

Probably a valid point regarding driving dynamics, but that doesn't really excuse the reliability issues. Besides, was the Genesis sedan really classified as a "sport sedan"? I know the coupe had sporty intentions, but I thought the sedan was supposed to be more of a luxury cruiser.

2o6

Hyundai def doesn't know what they're doing with ride and handling. I've driven quite a few and they're all..wrong. The Tuscon was the worst

MrH

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 13, 2016, 12:07:54 PM
Probably a valid point regarding driving dynamics, but that doesn't really excuse the reliability issues. Besides, was the Genesis sedan really classified as a "sport sedan"? I know the coupe had sporty intentions, but I thought the sedan was supposed to be more of a luxury cruiser.

It rode like shit but didn't handle. Felt like a pig on stilts with roller blades attached.

It was fast as fuck in a straight line though. Under 5 to sixty and mid to low 13s in the quarter mile.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on January 13, 2016, 03:32:04 PM
It rode like shit but didn't handle. Felt like a pig on stilts with roller blades attached.

It was fast as fuck in a straight line though. Under 5 to sixty and mid to low 13s in the quarter mile.

Did you notice the shortcomings before you bought it? You seemed really (irrationally) enamored with the "rocket couch" aspect of it.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ifcar

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 13, 2016, 12:07:54 PM

It's a luxury cruiser, yes, but he sought out the "R-Spec" version with a stiffer suspension and giant wheels. As reviews noted over the years (including my own), the R-Spec gives up more in ride than it gains in handling. Ride and handling aren't perfect in the regular version either, but ride is smoother than the R-Spec and handling is still above average for full-size affordable cars of that era.

(Just looked up my own review: http://www.examiner.com/article/review-2012-hyundai-genesis-5-0-r-spec-sedan )

Also, the first-generation Genesis has a decent reliability record -- average in the Consumer Reports survey. There can be a lemon from any automaker.

2o6

Quote from: MrH on January 13, 2016, 03:32:04 PM

You remind me of my friend in Columbus who has had almost every iteration on sale of the VW 2.0T...in about 12 months

Camaro

CC

GTI

Eos

Passat

GLI

Accord Coupe

Passat again

And a few other things that I forgot because I don't talk to him cause he's a twat

giant_mtb

Rocket couch would've have been more couch and same rocket with base suspension and thick squishy winter tires.

BimmerM3

Quote from: ifcar on January 13, 2016, 04:06:21 PM
It's a luxury cruiser, yes, but he sought out the "R-Spec" version with a stiffer suspension and giant wheels. As reviews noted over the years (including my own), the R-Spec gives up more in ride than it gains in handling. Ride and handling aren't perfect in the regular version either, but ride is smoother than the R-Spec and handling is still above average for full-size affordable cars of that era.

Ah, I remembered that he had the crazy fast version, but I forgot that came with stiffer suspension too.

12,000 RPM

Congrats, we will see about this one :)

What were the problems with the Genesis?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

I'll have to take some this week once I get the salt off. It's a mess right now.

Got all the interior LED lights in but the puddle lights in the side mirrors (those are going to take me awhile). Haven't done the HID headlight kit yet either. Will take some time and the garage is taken up with house renovations right now, so I'll probably wait until the spring.

The new fog lights I got...I got yellow laminX for them. That shit was cheap and looked terrible. I need to decide if I want to spray them with yellow tint paint or not.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

68_427

I also used Yellow tint for my fogs first, but tore it off and painted them before installing them.  Along with the yellow bulbs they looked great.  They have faded some though even though I used a clear coat with UV protection.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

Yellow tint paint for sure.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Rupert

It's held up well on my 944.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

12,000 RPM

I like the yellow bulbs look.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 18, 2016, 08:58:56 AM
I like the yellow bulbs look.
I got Yellow fogs in the G8. Well not bulbs I covered the fogs with Yellow Wrap (6K Hid kits). Pretty soon everybody in Cleveland will do the same and I'll peel it off........
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

giant_mtb

I prefer whiter/cooler lights in the winter on snow, but yellow is phenomenal elsewise. 

MrH

Front windows are getting tinted to match the factory OEM tint in the rear on Monday.  It's pretty tame, but I just don't like the mismatch.  I think everyone said 3M 30% matches pretty much perfectly.

Might take off the OEM running boards this weekend.  I hate the way they look.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

veeman

Running boards on a 4Runner are wrong. 

Rupert

I hate running boards.

AutobahnSHO

Congrats a little late.
Will