I've been riding with no fender for 5 years, no slop

Chop that shit bruv
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

shp4man

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 07, 2017, 05:16:21 PM

That's a nice little bike, dude. I can see you've put a lot of love into it.  :ohyeah:

CaminoRacer

It was mint when I bought it. I'm just trying not to ruin it. :lol:

Next on the list is Progressive springs and new fork oil.

CaminoRacer

http://www.racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Suzuki/GS550/1977-82

Race Tech springs could also be a good option. I'd be able to keep everything consistent with one brand - fork springs, gold valve cartridge emulators, and rear piggyback shocks. Looks like .80kg fork springs are what they recommend for my weight. I might call them if I can't find the stock spring rate on google.

edit: Progressive fork springs for GS550 are .62/.89 kg

CaminoRacer

Only took 40 years!

CaminoRacer

Just order two different sizes of main jet. Stock was 80 (IIRC), I bumped them up to 100 when I did the pods/pipe. But I think that's a bit rich for summer weather at 5000 feet elevation. Order sizes 97.5 and 95. I need to do a valve check, make sure the carbs are synced, then play around with the jet size.

CaminoRacer

It killed two main fuses on Thursday. Might have been the regulator/rectifier touching something else and shorting out. I saw some little sparks when I wiggled things around under the seat. Ziptied the R/R out of the way, along with the turn signal relay.

I also ordered a new r/r from a Polaris RZR, apparently it's a popular mod since it's a series unit instead of shunt. Next week I'll install that and make a better bracket for all of my electrical stuff.

CaminoRacer

It takes FOREVER to start up if it's sat for more than a couple days. The prime setting works fine, so it shouldn't be a fuel issue. So I'm guessing it's either a choke issue or spark? The plugs are kinda black, so I bought new ones. I also ordered more new jets, size 87.5, to try to keep the new plugs cleaner.

I checked the points and they're fine.

Speed_Racer

Solution: ride it everyday!  :lol:

CaminoRacer

Today's dope mod:

Look how stupid that looks. The stickers are way too big for the motorcycle plate. They block the flag! How disrespectful.

Much better.

giant_mtb

CaminoRacer

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Stock exhaust and carb jetting is back. Also installed new plugs. It started up immediately, so I think my previous issues were due to it being jetted too rich.

While the open pipe sounded GLORIOUS, the quiet stock exhaust should be a lot nicer for my commute and other longer trips.

I really need to change the fork oil. I should probably increase the spring rate while I'm at it.

CaminoRacer

....my shorai battery caught fire

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

CaminoRacer

The white stuff is from a fire extinguisher courtesy of a passing highway patrolman.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SVT_Power

I was gonna say how did you put that out before your whole bike went up in flames
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

giant_mtb

Damn.  Guess I won't be getting a Li battery.

CaminoRacer

The bike started slowing down, so I thought I needed to switch to the reserve tank. But that didn't help and then all the gauges shut off. Figured the fuse blew, nbd I have a backup. When I pulled over, smoke started coming out from under the seat, so I opened that up (probably not the best idea if there was flames, but whatever) and the battery was hissing and smoking. Before I could really even get my phone out of my bag to call 911, a highway patrol car showed up and grabbed an extinguisher. Honestly, I'm not sure if that really helped since it appeared it was just a chemical meltdown with no flames, but better safe than sorry. I need to go wash the extinguisher powder off...

Called both AAA and my insurance and I wasn't covered for a tow from either, so I had to pay $190 to get it towed to the Lowe's just off the next exit. Ridiculous! I went back later that night and loaded it into the El Camino to bring it home. That was more of a challenge than it should have been, since the bars were locked and I left the key at home like a dummy. But we managed.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 29, 2018, 05:39:41 PM

Called both AAA and my insurance and I wasn't covered for a tow from either, so I had to pay $190 to get it towed to the Lowe's just off the next exit. Ridiculous! I went back later that night and loaded it into the El Camino to bring it home. That was more of a challenge than it should have been, since the bars were locked and I left the key at home like a dummy. But we managed.
AAA wants you to carry Motorhome coverage to get motorcycle towing....  :huh: :nutty:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

giant_mtb

Why bother getting a tow?  Did you not have access to a ride home to fetch the Camino?  Or was that trooper pressuring you?  I woulda just said fuck you, it'll be sitting here for a bit.

Then again, I don't live in a city. 

CaminoRacer

It was on the left side of the highway so it wasn't allowed to sit there. If it was on the right side it would have been fine to sit there for a while.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on April 29, 2018, 05:52:51 PM
AAA wants you to carry Motorhome coverage to get motorcycle towing....  :huh: :nutty:

This is the second time that AAA has been unhelpful. Last time was when the El Camino's engine blew 40 miles outside of Moab and the AAA policy only had 10 miles of towing. We bumped it up to 80 miles IIRC, but not motorcycle coverage. I should probably just get rid of it.

CaminoRacer

Probably gonna sell this once I get a new battery + regulator. I don't ride it enough and it's not the best for wide-open Utah roads. Might just concentrate on cars + autox for now.

CaminoRacer

But it's so pretty, especially if I get a Brat seat and clean up the triangle. Maybe I'll just park it in the living room.