Radar Speed Signs

Started by Morris Minor, July 09, 2016, 08:38:58 PM

Morris Minor

The company that makes these is based near to me here in GA... was wondering why I'm seeing them multiply.  (They'd be more useful if they went to triple digits):
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

dazzleman

I always speed up when I see one of those.  I like to drive the number on the reading as high as possible.  :evildude:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CaminoRacer

I try to get the number to match the year of the car I'm driving. Usually 69 or 72 :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on July 10, 2016, 03:05:35 AM
I always speed up when I see one of those.  I like to drive the number on the reading as high as possible.  :evildude:

The number stops going higher and just starts blinking after about 20 over.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 10, 2016, 09:30:44 AM
That rather limits its usefulness as a speedometer calibration tool.

FoMoJo

One I had frequently encountered started flashing the message "SLOW DOWN" after 90 kph in a 60 kph zone.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

dazzleman

My goal is to get it to blink fast.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 10, 2016, 09:47:12 AM
One I had frequently encountered started flashing the message "SLOW DOWN" after 90 kph in a 60 kph zone.

It's probably a programmable setting. 
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 10, 2016, 09:42:25 AM
That rather limits its usefulness as a speedometer calibration tool.

Your phone is better for that anyways.

Rupert

I don't mind them when it's just as pictured, but when there is an accompanying "Slow Down" message for anything over the limit, I definitely speed up. Fuck you, sign, telling me what to do.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rupert on July 10, 2016, 11:02:45 AM
I don't mind them when it's just as pictured, but when there is an accompanying "Slow Down" message for anything over the limit, I definitely speed up. Fuck you, sign, telling me what to do.
Yeah, I have the same impulse.  Gives me a satisfying feeling to trip the warning.  Never much cared for 'Big Brother'.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 10, 2016, 12:15:47 PM
Yeah, I have the same impulse.  Gives me a satisfying feeling to trip the warning.  Never much cared for 'Big Brother'.

Such a defiant old goat..... :lol:

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on July 10, 2016, 01:07:09 PM
Such a defiant old goat..... :lol:
The truth is, and you may be experiencing this as well, we never really get over our teenage impulses in some respects :praise:.  I'm just a bit more careful about not getting caught though.

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 10, 2016, 01:16:02 PM
The truth is, and you may be experiencing this as well, we never really get over our teenage impulses in some respects :praise:.  I'm just a bit more careful about not getting caught though.

You're right about that.  I can definitely relate.

Raza

There was one of those standalone police ones near my friends house, in a 45 zone. I always tried to get it to 100 to see what would happen. Never could, though. 83 was the best the E320 could do, up a hill in a relatively short distance.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  on July 17, 2016, 08:10:26 PM
There was one of those standalone police ones near my friends house, in a 45 zone. I always tried to get it to 100 to see what would happen. Never could, though. 83 was the best the E320 could do, up a hill in a relatively short distance.

You did pretty well.  My goal when passing one of those things is generally to be about 20 mph over the speed limit, depending upon location and conditions.

Do they ever use "safety man" in your area, a police car with a mannequin in it, out there to fool people into slowing down?

veeman

I sometimes dream about firing a shot into one of those in the middle of the night from behind a tree.  And then every year or so, repeat.  Just dreaming.  I'll never have the balls to do that.

Morris Minor

There's always pressure in my neighborhood to put in speed bumps to deter speeders. Wondering if these things would be a better bet. Speed bumps are loathsome.

veeman

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 18, 2016, 06:33:56 AM
There's always pressure in my neighborhood to put in speed bumps to deter speeders. Wondering if these things would be a better bet. Speed bumps are loathsome.

I never understand why people slow to a crawl when going over a speed bump.  Even in SUVs.  I usually take them at 10-15 mph. 

CaminoRacer

Quote from: veeman on July 18, 2016, 08:26:12 AM
I never understand why people slow to a crawl when going over a speed bump.  Even in SUVs.  I usually take them at 10-15 mph. 

My headers will bottom out if I don't crawl over.

Speedbumps are my worst enemy and I refuse to go places that have them.

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on July 17, 2016, 08:14:49 PM
You did pretty well.  My goal when passing one of those things is generally to be about 20 mph over the speed limit, depending upon location and conditions.

Do they ever use "safety man" in your area, a police car with a mannequin in it, out there to fool people into slowing down?

I've seen cars parked with no one in them as a way to slow people down, but I don't think I've ever seen one with a dummy in it. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 18, 2016, 09:27:26 AM
My headers will bottom out if I don't crawl over.

Speedbumps are my worst enemy and I refuse to go places that have them.

I've got to be really careful with speed bumps and certain types of railroad tracks. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on July 18, 2016, 09:33:54 AM
I've seen cars parked with no one in them as a way to slow people down, but I don't think I've ever seen one with a dummy in it. 

Years ago, a small city called Pleasant Ridge near me would park one out on the half mile of Woodward Ave that they had; older cruiser with what for the life of me looked like a village person blow up doll in it. They stopped when it became a thing to take pictures with the car; usually doing something lewd.

AutobahnSHO

Will

CALL_911

Lol there's one of these in front of my school's hospital. My record is 42 mph (its a 20 zone

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

The only ones I've seen locally are the portable trailer kind, which start flashing "SLOW DOWN" once you're more than 5 over the posted limit. Takes away the ability to high score it.

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 18, 2016, 09:52:40 AM
Years ago, a small city called Pleasant Ridge near me would park one out on the half mile of Woodward Ave that they had; older cruiser with what for the life of me looked like a village person blow up doll in it. They stopped when it became a thing to take pictures with the car; usually doing something lewd.

:lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rupert

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 18, 2016, 06:33:56 AM

I'm determined to take those at the speed limit, but if I have to slow down, sometimes I honk. Fuck those.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Rupert on July 18, 2016, 06:38:09 PM
I'm determined to take those at the speed limit, but if I have to slow down, sometimes I honk. Fuck those.

Oh now that would be annoying. Good idea.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rupert on July 18, 2016, 06:38:09 PM

Excellent.
Will