Hyundai seems serious about this Genesis thing

Started by 12,000 RPM, August 16, 2016, 11:03:58 AM

Payman

Yeah, it's very nice, but the Stinger still interests me more.

MX793

I have mixed feelings about the lower air inlets.  Seems a little too aggressive.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

It's a better looking G37 with a Jaguar-like interior

MrH

Is this essentially the Hyundai version of the Stinger?  Same powertrain and chassis?

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Stinger is bigger. I'd be disappointed if they weren't on the same platform though.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

68_427

Quote from: MrH on September 15, 2017, 08:19:18 AM
Is this essentially the Hyundai version of the Stinger?  Same powertrain and chassis?

Yes, but this is a direct 3 series competitor.  I assume weight will be around 3800lbs though.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Xer0

I'm digging that not-British-Racing-Green they are using on some of the promo material cars.  The interior looks nice enough, but seems way too derivative; like a strange Mazda/Audi hybrid.  The exterior has a nice shape and the proportions look right, but like the 3rd Gen G37(I literally still don't know Infinit's new naming scheme) it has weird details thrown in for no reason.  This car was probably like 90% done before all the poached European big wigs came on, but the 2nd gen version will probably be the one to watch.

68_427

The South Korean city of Seoul is a modern metropolis with densely packed apartment towers, great food, and terrible traffic.

FAST FACTS
Engine: 3.3L turbo V6/2.0L turbo 4-cyl
Output: 365 hp, 376 lb-ft/249 hp, 260 lb-ft
Transmission: 6-speed manual or 8-speed auto
US Fuel Economy (MPG): 27 combined (V6 AWD)
CAN Fuel Economy (L/100 km): 8.6 combined (V6 AWD)
US/CAN Pricing: Not yet available

Cocooned within the expansive backseat of a chauffeur-driven Genesis G90 for a two-hour, bumper-to-bumper grind from Incheon Airport to my hotel, I had plenty of time to take in the big car's finely appointed interior.

Korean drivers, it seems, are generally patient and respectful of one another despite the maddening congestion, and after a particularly determined lane-change move, my driver powered his window down, offered a friendly wave of thanks, and filled the cabin with the cacophony of traffic noise. Seconds later, the window was back up and the sheer serenity of the G90 struck me.

Genesis is Korea's first true luxury automotive brand, and despite its relative infancy, the G90 is absolute proof that it has already got this luxury thing figured out. But what about making a nimble, fun-to-drive, sport sedan — the sort that could hang with a Mercedes C-Class or Audi A4? Can Genesis succeed in this arena too?

The all-new 2018 Genesis G70 compact luxury sedan is a machine designed to do just that. And there's a long-held belief that amidst this popular gang of dapper athletic cars, BMW's 3 Series is the dynamic benchmark.

Leading up to our first drive of the G70, some people were sensationalizing the role of this newest Genesis, proclaiming that this could be a real BMW slayer. Given that the executive vice-president for Hyundai and Genesis' performance machines is none other than former BMW M division boss, Albert Biermann, it's a fair prediction.

Following our time behind the wheel, both on the road and track, I can tell you the Genesis G70 is not the proverbial 3 Series killer, and that's OK.

Instead, Biermann freely admits that aspects of all the top competitors – including the BMW 3 Series and Mercedes C-Class – were carefully dissected with the intent of creating what is perhaps the most well-rounded machine in the segment. The G70 is intended to be the car that balances performance and luxury better than the rest.

World Class Interior and Powertrain

Like its mid-size G80 and full-size G90 luxury siblings, the G70's interior is beautifully finished with available Nappa leather stitched in a quilted pattern. Real aluminum trim, a suede-like headliner, and quality plastics make the G70's cabin a great place to be.

The controls are arranged around the driver, creating a more intimate and pilot-centric space than in the larger Genesis models. I found the driving position perfect, and the seats are among the most comfortable I have experienced, yet offer great lateral support during aggressive cornering.

Rear seat space seems on par for the class in terms of width and legroom, though headroom is a bit tighter than in some of the G70's competitors.

In North America, the G70 will be offered with two different drivetrains: a 2.0-liter turbocharged, inline four-cylinder engine providing 249 horsepower (251 with the Sport package) and 260 pound-feet of torque, or a 3.3-liter turbocharged V6 delivering 365 hp and 376 lb-ft of torque.

Stateside, both the V6 and four-cylinder models will be available with rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive, whereas Canadian buyers will have all-wheel drive standard for both engines, and a rear-wheel-drive Sport trim available with the 2.0-liter engine only.

As a pleasant surprise and further proof that Genesis is trying to make this car engaging, a six-speed manual option will be available on a specific performance-oriented 2.0-liter trim. All other G70s will be fitted with an eight-speed automatic.

For our drive through Seoul and northeast winding up into the lush green mountains toward Inje Speedium race circuit, our convoy of sport sedans encountered a wide variety of driving experiences and a lot of positive reactions from the Korean motoring public.

It seems the locals like the G70's tidy dimensions and sporty appearance. The rear three-quarter view is the best angle with a squat look, hunkered down over the wide fenders, reminiscent of a BMW 3 or 5 Series. The profile is a bit derivative in terms of styling with its trendy fender vents and a profile that could've been pillaged from any number of the G70's competitors. Overall, it's a properly handsome machine that looks even better in person than it does in photos. That said, I still wish Genesis designers could find a way to better hide the front sensor panel so it's not such an obvious blemish within the large front grille.

Even early on a Saturday morning, the traffic traveling east out of the metropolis was repressive as active Koreans headed for the hills to hike, bike, or camp. The G70's adaptive cruise control system and lane departure assistance proved welcome features and worked well to help reduce the burden on the driver. The infotainment system, which comes with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, is controlled by a large, bright touchscreen. The system operated smoothly and without lag, and the Lexicon sound system is rich and full.

Impressive Performance

The manufacturer claims the 3.3T will go from zero to 62 mph (100 km/h) in 4.7 seconds, and each time my driving partner and I exited a tollbooth, we'd put that figure to the test. I wouldn't be surprised if Genesis is being conservative with its claim. Launch control is offered on the G70, though we never had an opportunity to test it.

Eventually, our route left the masses on the freeway behind, and the roads twisted and turned up into the mountains toward Inje Speedium race circuit. Where at first in the urban traffic I found the throttle a little abrupt from a standstill and the brakes somewhat grabby, both familiarity with the car and higher speeds smoothed things out. The G70 is definitely comfortable ripping along aggressively and responds with excellent on-road manners.

The staggered Michelin Pilot Sport tires (225/40/19 up front, 255/35/19 rear) on our Sport trim car, coupled with the H-Trac all-wheel-drive system tuned to direct the majority of power to the rear in Sport Mode, means grip – even on some loose surfaces – is exceptional. Genesis has also fitted a mechanical limited-slip differential on the G70 to help get power to the ground in cornering.

As good as many of the Korean performance cars have become in recent years, they've generally fallen short of matching the handling prowess of their European competitors. The G70, however, shows that Genesis is fully capable of tuning a suspension that perfectly balances ride comfort appropriate for a luxury car, with the handling chops to dance on twisty back roads.

And at the track.

They Let Us Go on a Track?

Following a warm-up gymkhana competition, we were turned loose to lap the beautiful Inje track. The G70's poise and stability, even at considerable speed and driven by a group of journalists with varying on-track ability, never faltered. The Brembo brakes also delivered great results with a strong bite and good, linear braking power.

The cars on hand were tuned to Korean market specification, which we're told, offer a softer suspension setup than we are likely to receive in other markets. Even still, the G70 is a long way off becoming harsh, even with the Sport driving mode in play. In fact, the difference between Sport and Comfort modes are better heard than felt, with Active Sound Design digitally pumping in a louder (and deeper) driving soundtrack to the cabin, than in Comfort or Eco modes. That said, compared to the more aggressive intake and exhaust noises delivered by the European competition, the G70 falls flat with its engine noise.

Steering feel from the electrically assisted system is light and lacking some of the feedback we used to associate with sporty cars. Still, it's a complaint I've leveled against the 3 Series, C-Class and A4 these days, too. Genesis engineers had one pre-production rear-wheel-drive 3.3T Genesis, set up with stickier tires and a more dynamic suspension setting for us to sample as well. This car was absolutely alive on the track, delivering more immediacy in the steering and livelier handling, showcasing the tremendous job the suspension engineers have done with the G70.

If there's one further complaint to raise against the G70 from a performance standpoint, it's that the eight-speed transmission feels tuned much more for grand touring or environment-saving duties than full-on performance driving. In Sport mode, I'd like to see quicker shifts and a more aggressive tune enabling greater driver control when the paddles are used. As it is now, the G70 is too eager to upshift, and often reluctant to downshift. Fortunately, the prodigious torque helps offset that problem in driveability.

The Verdict: 2018 Genesis G70 Review

Albert Biermann spoke of Korea being the land of the morning calm – a situation he relishes when he can escape the city early on a Sunday morning and enjoy the serpentine mountain roads. The G70 is an excellent machine for just such a scenario, ensuring a perfect blend of luxurious comfort and amenities in the city, but a wholly capable and vigorous driving experience out on the open road.

Genesis has already proven it can make a world-class luxury car. Now it has shown us it can make an exceptional sport sedan too.

The 2018 Genesis G70 is expected to hit North American dealerships in the second quarter of 2018. Pricing will be announced closer to its release.

LOVE IT
Luxurious interior
Capable driving dynamics
Pricing sure to be competitive

LEAVE IT
Transmission not sporty enough
Lacks steering feel

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...nd-first-drive
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

It looks good. Really big, but good. And since there will be a manual, I'm interested.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on September 19, 2017, 05:41:33 AM
It looks good. Really big, but good. And since there will be a manual, I'm interested.

Big?  It sit smack-dab between the 3 series and A4 in size.
Needs more Jiggawatts

68_427

It's larger than a first gen z4, thus it's a huge car.
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on September 19, 2017, 06:27:05 AM
Big?  It sit smack-dab between the 3 series and A4 in size.

It's hard to tell with no context. It looks visually large. Without seeing it next to another car of which I know the size, I would have guessed that it's a midsize, not a compact.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on September 19, 2017, 05:18:22 PM
It's hard to tell with no context. It looks visually large. Without seeing it next to another car of which I know the size, I would have guessed that it's a midsize, not a compact.

I think the latest generations of 3 series and A4 are technically midsize now...
Needs more Jiggawatts

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on September 19, 2017, 05:36:18 PM
I think the latest generations of 3 series and A4 are technically midsize now...

I cry for the world.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Go back to the essence and buy a 2 series. F30 is right sized IMO; E90 was doable but everything was too small to be a real family car. F30 is about as roomy as the G while being lighter and smaller. And burning like 20% less fuel while being faster. It's on the short list

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 20, 2017, 05:54:56 AM
Go back to the essence and buy a 2 series. F30 is right sized IMO; E90 was doable but everything was too small to be a real family car. F30 is about as roomy as the G while being lighter and smaller. And burning like 20% less fuel while being faster. It's on the short list

With the world ending any day now, I'm thinking about saying fuck it all and just buying an E90 M3. If my brother and I actually do get an SUV to share, I wouldn't need an AWD car only for the purpose of winter driving. It's been nice having the Z4 and S4 as a two car combination, but S4 falls short on driving enjoyment for me. Plus, I've never owned a V8 before. An RS4 is also in the running.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on September 20, 2017, 07:20:31 AM
With the world ending any day now, I'm thinking about saying fuck it all and just buying an E90 M3. If my brother and I actually do get an SUV to share, I wouldn't need an AWD car only for the purpose of winter driving. It's been nice having the Z4 and S4 as a two car combination, but S4 falls short on driving enjoyment for me. Plus, I've never owned a V8 before. An RS4 is also in the running.
In that case why not opt for a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport  or, at least, a Koenigsegg CCR. :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 20, 2017, 09:12:28 AM
In that case why not opt for a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport  or, at least, a Koenigsegg CCR. :huh:

:hesaid:

:lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 20, 2017, 09:12:28 AM

No manual.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Real motoring engagement requires a hand operated clutch and/or left foot braking anyway.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 22, 2017, 09:29:03 PM
Real motoring engagement requires a hand operated clutch and/or left foot braking anyway.

Hand clutch? That's a kind of purse.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on September 22, 2017, 09:35:45 PM
Hand clutch? That's a kind of purse.
Naw, a hand operated clutch, like on a motorcycle or shifter kart. The kind of vehicles a real enthusiast is willing to drive to experience true man-machine engagement. :praise:

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 23, 2017, 08:52:08 AM
Naw, a hand operated clutch, like on a motorcycle or shifter kart. The kind of vehicles a real enthusiast is willing to drive to experience true man-machine engagement. :praise:

Or a bulldozer?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator