Lynk & Co 01

Started by 2o6, October 19, 2016, 05:02:05 PM

2o6

Not sure if this is a prototype release, or a concept, but looks like it's the first iteration of the small modular Volvo/Geely platform.

http://jalopnik.com/volvo-s-chinese-parent-company-aims-to-take-over-americ-1787981557

The car looks pretty nice; the Volvo influence and acquisition looks really apparent and nice.

However, "Lynk & Co" sounds like a brand for overpriced Jeans and Sunglasses.

Cookie Monster

The front reminds me of a Tribeca for some reason.

Although, that's the best iteration I've seen of the weird headlights in the grill with lights on top of the hood look. The Juke and Cherokee don't look nearly as good.

Also, I also thought Lync & Co was the name of some jeans or some flannel.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Quote from: Cookie Monster on October 19, 2016, 05:43:09 PM

Also, I also thought Lync & Co was the name of some jeans or some flannel.

Same, but I think that's kind of their goal. The whole idea of the car is similar to a smartphone. Not only is it always connected, but basically it's a lease but written in such a manner it's more like a phone service that you upgrade.

ifcar

Promising in terms of both looks and substance. The question will be if most buyers would accept a Chinese car only if it's crazy cheap, and I assume those Volvo bones aren't setting it up to undercut Kia, Dodge, Mitsubishi, etc., as a bottom-feeder.

MX793

Quote from: ifcar on October 20, 2016, 04:41:41 PM
Promising in terms of both looks and substance. The question will be if most buyers would accept a Chinese car only if it's crazy cheap, and I assume those Volvo bones aren't setting it up to undercut Kia, Dodge, Mitsubishi, etc., as a bottom-feeder.

If they play the angle that Lynk & Co is a sister company of Volvo (which most Americans likely don't realize is owned by a Chinese company now, but are aware is a European brand), they may be able to sucker much of the public into thinking it has some European roots or at least dodge some of the "Made in China" stigma.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

Quote from: MX793 on October 20, 2016, 04:56:28 PM
If they play the angle that Lynk & Co is a sister company of Volvo (which most Americans likely don't realize is owned by a Chinese company now, but are aware is a European brand), they may be able to sucker much of the public into thinking it has some European roots or at least dodge some of the "Made in China" stigma.

Volvo engineering is still done in Europe, no? So it's not exactly being suckered. But this brand will get a lot of media attention; it will be hard to overlook the China connection, I think.

r0tor

Ballistic projectile vomit
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on October 20, 2016, 05:46:56 PM
Ballistic projectile vomit

I'll see your ballistic projectile vomit, and raise you intercontinenal incendiary diarrhea.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

and a sedan

'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Quote from: ifcar on October 20, 2016, 05:46:02 PM
Volvo engineering is still done in Europe, no? So it's not exactly being suckered. But this brand will get a lot of media attention; it will be hard to overlook the China connection, I think.

This car was also designed and engineered in Sweden

QuoteThe Lynk&Co 01 is the first model to come from the all-new, Chinese-owned, Volvo-backed car brand from Geely.

The mid-sized, tech-laden SUV is claimed to be "the most connected car to date" and will be ready for the market next year. Its maker says it'll be the first Chinese-made car to be sold in volume in Europe.

The model, designed and engineered in Sweden, will have an electrified powertrain and be built on modular architecture shared with Volvo's forthcoming XC40. It has been revealed today at an official launch in Berlin, attended by Geely's founder and chairman, the Chinese entrepreneur Li Shufu.

The 01 is claimed to have a premium specification and to "address the needs and preferences of the new global and connected generation". Lynk&Co's 01s will always be connected to the internet and to their own cloud. A standard 'share' button will let owners control, monitor and share their cars via smartphone or from the car.

The new marque's design philosophy has been developed at Geely Design in Sweden, headed by group executive vice president and former Volvo design boss Peter Horbury. Designers say their aim was to create a strong personality that captures both European and Chinese genes.

"The design brief was simple," said Andreas Nilsson, head of design. "Our car needed to stand out from the crowd and appeal to a global audience. Our users will be extremely tech-savvy. Our interior design reflects this and feels familiar in the context of new technology."

Little mechanical detail has been revealed, but the 01 is likely to have a range of transverse, front-mounted engines from Volvo's family of 2.0-litre four-cylinder and 1.5-litre triples. Member of the board of directors for Geely and Volvo Carl-Peter Forster confirmed to Autocar that a plug-in hybrid version will follow soon after, with electric drive for both axles.

This suggests the drive systems will be derived from Volvo hybrid models, with the Volvo XC40 sending electric drive to the front wheels and the larger XC90 to the rear wheels.

Transmissions will be either six-speed manuals or seven-speed dual-clutch automatics.

The car measures 4.6metres long. Lync&Co said its wheelbase is comparably long, given the length, because the Chinese market really cares about rear room and less about boot space.

As with all Lynk&Co models that will follow — and 02 and 03 models are already being mentioned — the 01's creators say they aim to challenge current preferences within the motor industry.

"Our industry has been refining design and engineering successfully for decades," said senior vice president Alain Visser, "but not so much the distribution and ownership model. Our customers' values and preferences have evolved dramatically. It is time for us to step into the future."

Eventually, Lynk&Co will offer "a premium, state-of-the-art range of cars at the most accessible price points," said Visser, who has held top-level European sales positions at Vauxhall-Opel and Ford. "We will challenge and redesign every link in the chain."

The Lynk&Co range will be closely related to Volvo's to improve Volvo's economies of scale. Geely-Volvo believes the platform underpinning it will have the versatility of Volkswagen's MQB architecture but be more affordable.

Rather than offering traditional trim levels, Lynk&Co will have fixed-price equipment collections that draw inspiration from contemporary fashion and technology sectors.

The new 01 SUV will have an open API (application programming interface), which will essentially allow outside developers to "enrich the automotive experience" of the 01 with new ideas of their own.

An important part of the Lynk&Co challenge, said Visser, is to offer customers a new route to market that features direct contact with the manufacturer, along with personalised services and hassle-free-ownership. "Our aim is to enrich and simplify ownership by redefining how cars are bought, owned, connected, serviced and used," he said.

Lynk&Co believes the subsequent arrival of the 02 and 03 will build towards "a full range" whose straightforward model names reflect the brand's idea of simplifying and challenging industry conventions.

The new models won't neglect dynamic qualities, according to R&D boss Mats Fagerhag, who runs a shared Geely-Volvo R&D centre called CEVT (China Euro Vehicle Technology). The 01 has been benchmarked against good SUV competitors. "We have developed state-of-the-art cars that are strong, lightweight, efficient, fun to drive," Fagerhag said.
'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

I really like the styling.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Raza

I think it looks pretty good, actually. But I'll never buy a Chinese car.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

The sedan looks really good.  The front end styling of the SUV translates surprisingly well to a less upright vehicle.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

It seems like Geely has done really well for Volvo. They seem to be the only ones with aspirations and actual salt worth competing on a world stage with western brands.

MrH

I really like the design, but I'm with Raza.  I wouldn't buy a car from China.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Submariner

Sounds like a rubbish watch brand. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

shp4man

How long before the batteries start catching fire and people get lead poisoning from the HVAC system?  :lol: :muffin:

Cookie Monster

Quote from: shp4man on October 21, 2016, 09:47:10 AM
How long before the batteries start catching fire and people get lead poisoning from the HVAC system?  :lol: :muffin:

I dunno, this aint a Samsung :devil:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

68_427

Quote from: Raza  on October 21, 2016, 07:50:56 AM
I think it looks pretty good, actually. But I'll never buy a Chinese car.

Good thing you don't actually buy it.  You basically just lease or "rent" it as long as you want or need. At least that's their goal.
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on October 21, 2016, 01:31:08 PM
Good thing you don't actually buy it.  You basically just lease or "rent" it as long as you want or need. At least that's their goal.

I wouldn't do that either.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

Not many people will care to much about where it's assembled.  iPhones are assembled mostly in China and few buyers care. 

MX793

Quote from: veeman on October 21, 2016, 04:20:52 PM
Not many people will care to much about where it's assembled.  iPhones are assembled mostly in China and few buyers care. 

Cars are a much more significant purchase, both in how much it costs and in how long it is kept, than an iPhone.  How long does the average person keep their iPhone?  A year, maybe 2?
Needs more Jiggawatts

93JC

"Lynk & Co."? Horrendously bad name for a car company; on name alone I thought this was a thread about jeans or something.

Sounding it out, if I was Ford I'd sue. "Lynk & Co." is too close to Lincoln for comfort.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 93JC on October 21, 2016, 04:58:40 PM
"Lynk & Co."? Horrendously bad name for a car company; on name alone I thought this was a thread about jeans or something.

Sounding it out, if I was Ford I'd sue. "Lynk & Co." is too close to Lincoln for comfort.

What??

"Link and co" does not sound anything like "link-in."  Unless you actually say "Lin-coln" when you say Linkin.

ifcar

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 21, 2016, 05:58:30 PM
What??

"Link and co" does not sound anything like "link-in."  Unless you actually say "Lin-coln" when you say Linkin.

Link and Company, Lincoln Company; both sound like link-in.

93JC

68_427

Quote from: MX793 on October 21, 2016, 04:27:31 PM
Cars are a much more significant purchase, both in how much it costs and in how long it is kept, than an iPhone.  How long does the average person keep their iPhone?  A year, maybe 2?

Quote from: 68_427 on October 21, 2016, 01:31:08 PM

'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Quote from: 68_427 on October 22, 2016, 07:15:43 AM

You can also buy it, but who knows.

Also, keep in mind that Volvo basically did all the design/engineering work on this car. It's basically a store-brand forthcoming Volvo XC40