Best value for fun to drive and 4 doors

Started by Rich, October 31, 2016, 07:20:29 AM

Which has the best value for fun to drive and 4 doors?

GTI 6M
7 (41.2%)
Mazda 3 6M
1 (5.9%)
Mazda 6 6M
1 (5.9%)
Fiesta ST 6M
5 (29.4%)
BMW 320 6M
1 (5.9%)
Cadillac ATS 2.0T 6M
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Rich

Thinking about it more and more I've got future 2nd car narrowed down to these.  I'll do some test driving when I get back to the US which should make the choice, much, much easier.  But since CarSpin likes to spend OPM, which do you think is the best value for a fun to drive 4 door?

My thoughts *I haven't driven any of these*:

GTI: Solid, great interior, great looks for a hatch, I think it'd be a good highway cruiser.  The downside I feel it'll feel a little boring and not so special going down the road - muted steering feedback, quiet, muted road feel through the seat.  VW electronics, too??

Mazda 3: Great interior, supposedly the most fun to drive in class, the steering should talk a little.  Downside is that it gets really pricey with options, Mazdas seem to rust pretty quick, and it might be buzzy.

Mazda 6: I feel it's about the same as the 3, but optioned similarly, they are about $1k in difference.  I think it looks better than the 3, too.  Downside is that it's bigger and may feel less playful. 

Fiesta ST:  Steering feedback should be great, and have fun handling, is a nice small size.  The sounds and road feel it makes should invigorate.  The downsides are the interior ( looks gross, feels gross) and maybe too hyper for interstate hauls.

320i:  Gets really good fuel economy, 4 doors, RWD, with a stick on the cheap.  I like the interior with the sport package.  Downsides are that it's pricey, and wouldn't have a ton of power to make the RWD dynamics stand out.  Reliability is ??

ATS:  4 doors, RWD, with a stick on the cheap.  I think it looks great on the outside.  Not too keen on the gauges.  Pricey.  Reliability is ??

I'll spend most time scrutinizing the steering feedback in all of them.  From reading, all except for the ST have muted feedback with the EPS.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MrH

Are you planning on bringing the miata back with you?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

Yep....

I could be cool with having the Miata as an only car... but I'll ship it right before I leave, and won't see it again for a couple of months.  I'd want/need a car to use in those 2 months to drive.  Renting for 2 months would be expensive... and having a 4 door would come in handy, and having something newer would be nice, too.

I've been checking the area for used cars (because I like money)... and wow, finding a newer-ish used 4 door with a stick is hard.

MrH

Are you able to keep the transportation fees if you sold your car there and rebought a miata over here?

How many miles is it at?  If i remember correctly, it had some rust too?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

Quote from: MrH on October 31, 2016, 07:41:15 AM
Are you able to keep the transportation fees if you sold your car there and rebought a miata over here?

How many miles is it at?  If i remember correctly, it had some rust too?

Keep the transportation fees?  If I don't ship it, I don't get the money.  Yeah, it's got some rust, but I'm pretty attached to it.  Still shifts like a champ and runs like a top.  I'll work to keep it for another 80k or so miles.

The thought of leasing came across my mind... I could easily keep the miles off since I'd have the Miata.  But if I get orders before the lease is up that'd be tricky. 

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Rich

Quote from: MrH on October 31, 2016, 08:11:40 AM
Do you know where you're stationed yet?

Sumter, SC, assignment is official, finally.

MrH

Used 328i or if you want to buy new, a Focus ST.  Those are going for really cheap right now and are pretty good cars.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Rich

Quote from: MrH on October 31, 2016, 08:46:08 AM
Used 328i or if you want to buy new, a Focus ST.  Those are going for really cheap right now and are pretty good cars.

I'd take a Fiesta ST over a Focus ST every day of the week.

I'll do some research on CPO 3's w/ a stick

FoMoJo

The Fiesta, before you get too old to be seen in one.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MrH

Quote from: Rich on October 31, 2016, 08:49:11 AM
I'd take a Fiesta ST over a Focus ST every day of the week.

I'll do some research on CPO 3's w/ a stick

Fiestas are really small inside.  Just figured if you were getting a second car, you'd want something bigger and quite a bit different than the miata.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Rich

Quote from: MrH on October 31, 2016, 08:59:20 AM
Fiestas are really small inside.  Just figured if you were getting a second car, you'd want something bigger and quite a bit different than the miata.

I know they look similar.. but to me the Focus looks hideous.  Plus it has a ton of power and weighs more and is still FWD so there'd be even more wheelspin.  I don't think it comes with an LSD either.

This is more about what you all would choose in this scenario.  Once I drive them all (and probably a bunch of other cars) I'll pick which one I enjoyed the most.

ifcar

The Mazda3 and 6 are only special compared to other mainstream cars in their classes. Without Speed versions, they're nothing like the performance models on your list, GTI included.

12,000 RPM

Mazda3 was overrated. 3i drove EXACTLY like a Golf TSI hatchback with a lot less torque.

Peak small car is GTI. It's the 911 of the hot hatch segment. Get the "Sport" with the LSD and upgraded brakes (I wanna say it has adaptive suspension too).... good to go. It's not the most exciting thing but what in the segment really is? They're all compromised which is kind of the point.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Eye of the Tiger

Mirage G4.

I mean Fiesta
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rich on October 31, 2016, 08:39:07 AM
Sumter, SC, assignment is official, finally.

Whaaaat? Congrats. You're moving in next door to me. We'll have to do some SCR autocrosses.

Rich

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 31, 2016, 10:46:29 AM
Whaaaat? Congrats. You're moving in next door to me. We'll have to do some SCR autocrosses.

What town are you in

I'm game, I haven't done any AutoX's in forever.  I plan on doing some road trips out to Road Atlanta, Roebling Road, CMP, and VIR to watch some racing/track days too.  Other spinners are welcome as well :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rich on October 31, 2016, 10:54:16 AM
What town are you in

I'm game, I haven't done any AutoX's in forever.  I plan on doing some road trips out to Road Atlanta, Roebling Road, CMP, and VIR to watch some racing/track days too.  Other spinners are welcome as well :lol:

I'm in Columbia. Sumter used to be a crap town back when I was stationed there, so we always went to Columbia for stuff. Sumter has grown quite a bit since then. It's not so bad, anymore.

12,000 RPM

I'm in Charlotte for whatever that's worth. If you find yourself up here hit me up on FB

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 31, 2016, 10:27:41 AM
Mazda3 was overrated. 3i drove EXACTLY like a Golf TSI hatchback with a lot less torque.

Peak small car is GTI. It's the 911 of the hot hatch segment. Get the "Sport" with the LSD and upgraded brakes (I wanna say it has adaptive suspension too).... good to go. It's not the most exciting thing but what in the segment really is? They're all compromised which is kind of the point.

Pretty much right on. The GTI is boring the way that the Miata and 911 are boring. They're obvious. But they're obvious because they're so good.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Of those cars the ATS is probably the most fun to drive, but I doubt you will easily find one with a stick and will probably be expensive. 320i would be next up but would also be expensive and less powerful and possibly less fun to drive.

Of the FWD cars I would be most interested in the Mazda 3 or GTI, but haven't driven them so can't say for sure.

Lebowski

GTI

But IMO if you really only need it for 2 months I would do either a monthly rental or even buy a beater and sell it after.  Monthly rental looks expensive on a monthly basis but is probably what I'd do (and way cheaper than buying a new car you only need for 2 mos).  Or depending on needs ride a bike and use Uber when you need a car until Miata gets there.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

^whoa

Get rid of your Miata and get an ND!

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

Sucks that they don't do super short term leases. Or maybe they do and it's eye wateringly expensive. I wouldn't mind trying something like a 911 or Corvette for a couple of weeks/months. I have no interest in owning such a car

68_427

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 01, 2016, 04:35:47 AM
Sucks that they don't do super short term leases. Or maybe they do and it's eye wateringly expensive. I wouldn't mind trying something like a 911 or Corvette for a couple of weeks/months. I have no interest in owning such a car

TURO is reasonably affordable
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Rich

Quote from: Lebowski on October 31, 2016, 06:26:35 PM
GTI

But IMO if you really only need it for 2 months I would do either a monthly rental or even buy a beater and sell it after.  Monthly rental looks expensive on a monthly basis but is probably what I'd do (and way cheaper than buying a new car you only need for 2 mos).  Or depending on needs ride a bike and use Uber when you need a car until Miata gets there.

Part of it is to have a 4 door to use when family is visiting/picking up friends/coworkers from the airport or whatever.  I think you rocked the C6 as an only car for a while, so you have some idea how handy extra seats can come in sometimes.

It's like the SUV/truck deal.  Most days out of the year it's just one person in the vehicle, but they have it for the occasional boat towing/cargo/whatever.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Lebowski on October 31, 2016, 06:26:35 PM
GTI

If its only a couple months this is not a bad idea. I did this during one of my relocations drove around in a V6 Mustang for a couple months. It wasn't "cheap" but the rental places offered hefty discounts the longer you kept the car.

Rich

Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 01, 2016, 06:39:54 AM
If its only a couple months this is not a bad idea. I did this during one of my relocations drove around in a V6 Mustang for a couple months. It wasn't "cheap" but the rental places offered hefty discounts the longer you kept the car.

Hmmmmm