Junkyard Gem: 1988 Merkur Scorpio - MADMAN, come back!!!

Started by cawimmer430, December 29, 2016, 07:21:22 AM

cawimmer430

Junkyard Gem: 1988 Merkur Scorpio

We all know about the Merkur XR4Ti, but how about the much rarer Scorpio?

During the 1980s, American car buyers started buying European luxury machinery at an unprecedented rate, which alarmed a lot of the suits in Detroit. General Motors spent a great deal of money trying to sell Pininfarina-bodied Cadillacs (whose bodies were flown from Italy to Michigan in specially equipped 747s), while Ford opted to bring over a couple of its German-built, European-market models and sell them under a marque created just for the occasion: Merkur.

For the 1985 model year, the Ford Sierra XR4i was given the same turbocharged Pinto engine as the Mustang SVO and called the Merkur XR4Ti. For 1988, the Ford Scorpio was added to the Merkur lineup.

The Merkur Scorpio had rear-wheel drive and a 2.9-liter V6, and it handled in a most un-squishy fashion, but the Merkur brand confused American car buyers, who couldn't think of a good reason to buy a Scorpio. Few were sold.

These cars are very, very rare in American wrecking yards today; I have seen a total of two in the last decade, and I spend a lot of time in junkyards. I photographed this 140k-mile '88 in a San Francisco Bay Area self-service yard.

A decade later, GM had somewhat more success bringing Cadillac-badged Opel Omegas to the United States.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuQpsxkzXg8

Link: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/12/27/junkyard-gem-1988-merkur-scorpio/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

veeman

When I was a kid my Dad had a close friend whose son worked for Ford and had a Merkur XR4Ti.  It looked cool but it was expensive.  Wikipedia says they were discontinued because it wouldn't have been worth it cost wise for Ford to figure out how to put in a passive restraint system or airbags, which was pending legislation in the U.S., given the very poor sales.