New-gen 2018 Lexus LS flagship sedan revealed

Started by 68_427, January 09, 2017, 07:07:02 AM

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 12, 2017, 10:47:14 AM
That is tanking in sales too

X5/X6 is up though I guess.

....the 5-series is one of the top selling models in Germany. Shrinking market doesn't equal no market.

Morris Minor

I'm still not loving the Predator front-end treatment:
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

QuoteWORLD PREMIERE OF THE ALL-NEW LEXUS LS 500H

The Geneva Motor Show hosts the world debut of the new Lexus LS 500h, the full hybrid version of Lexus' new flagship sedan.

The model, revealed soon after the premiere appearance of the twin-turbo petrol V6-powered LS 500 at the 2017 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit, is a further manifestation of how Lexus has reimagined the luxury sedan, presenting brave design, exhilarating performance and a sophisticated appeal to capture the imagination of forward-thinking, younger customers.

The car's design successfully brings together the virtues of a long-wheelbase four-door sedan with a low, coupe-like profile, positioning the LS perfectly across the two growing sedan and coupe segments.

The cabin has benefited from an equally new approach, focusing on "progressive comfort," interpreting Japanese aesthetics and craftsmanship traditions in the context of an advanced, luxurious and innovative vehicle interior such as the original door trim ornamentation. Notably the LS 500 was honoured at NAIAS with the EyesOn Design Award for excellence in interior design.

Conceived as the new global pinnacle of the Lexus brand, the LS goes beyond what the world expects from a luxury car. Chief Engineer Toshio Asahi explained: "Developing such a flagship model required a massive paradigm shift. Rather than being bound by the conventions that had defined luxury cars in the past, we aimed to create a car with innovative, emotional and sensual appeal that would draw customers' eyes away from other luxury cars and provide entirely new values."

The LS 500h is equipped with the new Lexus Multi Stage Hybrid System, a technology that transforms the performance and driver appeal of hybrid, providing improved responsiveness and more rewarding, linear acceleration, particularly when moving off from stationary. At the same time, the inherent fuel and emissions efficiency of Lexus Hybrid Drive has been further improved.

The powertrain features a 3.5-litre V6 Dual VVT-i V6 petrol engine and two electric motors, together delivering maximum system power of 354hp/264kW. While the LS 500 will be available in Europe exclusively as all-wheel drive model, the LS 500h will be introduced in both rear and all-wheel drive versions.

The LS 500h is built on the new Lexus Global Architecture – Luxury platform, which ensures a low centre of gravity and optimum weight distribution, contributing to the car's essential stability and handling agility, which in turn deliver increased driver rewards. The fundamental high rigidity of the chassis allows the new multilink suspension to be tuned to achieve a great handling performance and the supreme comfort for which the LS is renowned. In Europe, Adaptive Variable Suspension, with air suspension are a standard feature of higher specification models.

The car's dynamic performance benefits also from the co-ordination of braking, steering and stability systems through Lexus Dynamic Handling.

Advanced technologies are further used to deliver impressive safety performance. The LS 500h's Lexus Safety System+ package additionally includes a new advanced safety system, which features the world's first intuitive pedestrian detection function with active steering among other innovative technologies.

Omotenashi, expressing the unique sense of Japanese hospitality, defines the LS 500h's whisper-quiet and luxurious interior. Supreme comfort is provided by front and rear seats with multiple power adjustment, heating, cooling and massage functions. There is also an optional rear seat arrangement that includes an extending leg ottoman and the most generous leg room of any LS generation. Notably the new LS 500h is longer even than the current long wheelbase LS. The wheelbase increased from 3,090 mm to 3,125 mm.

Lexus Takumi craftsmanship also contributes to the special quality of the LS 500h's cabin, in luxurious new trims, materials and detailing, including a new pleating treatment and Kiriko glasswork on the inner door panels.

I'm in love
'racecar is die'
no

Morris Minor

I'm guessing there will soon be some awesome deals to be had on the outgoing model. Intriguing proposition for those in the market for a rock-solid reliable sedan that would last 20 years. Perfect interstate wafting conveyance for retirees.

12,000 RPM

I really prefer the old one. The old one was 2 turbos away from perfection. Old one was a really gorgeous car as well. Really classic proportions, and great details aside from the grill.... though overall I prefer the facelifted one. But an LS460 would have trouble getting away from an Accord Sport at a stoplight (seriously) while burning 50% more gas. Doesn't add up
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

68_427

QuoteLexus Takumi craftsmanship also contributes to the special quality of the LS 500h's cabin, in luxurious new trims, materials and detailing, including a new pleating treatment and Kiriko glasswork on the inner door panels.

Don't know how safe that is but I love it.
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 07, 2017, 01:51:00 PM
I'm guessing there will soon be some awesome deals to be had on the outgoing model. Intriguing proposition for those in the market for a rock-solid reliable sedan that would last 20 years. Perfect interstate wafting conveyance for retirees.

I dig the outgoing LS460. I like this quite a bit too.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

68_427

Lexus panel gaps are just tighter than a booty hole

'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

Feels like Lexus is getting wise to MB's game WRT epic, swoopy interiors.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rich

I'm just happy that it looks like the lux marques are seeing that materials makes luxury again and not all the electronic doodads
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on March 08, 2017, 03:38:11 PM
Feels like Lexus is getting wise to MB's game WRT epic, swoopy interiors.
Interiors are the only place regulators haven't strangled. All the manufacturers should be going nuts here. I like Lexus' current "vintage Marantz amp" interior language though. I hope they don't stray too far from that.

68_427

Quote from: Rich on March 08, 2017, 04:22:27 PM
I'm just happy that it looks like the lux marques are seeing that materials makes luxury again and not all the electronic doodads

All except BMW which is banking on doodads
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

Wonder how they got that foil razor grill to pass pedestrian safety standards?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

r0tor

Quote from: Rich on March 08, 2017, 04:22:27 PM

I agree.  Hopefully the 80s fashion redux is almost over and we can progress into the 90s
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

68_427

Cloth makes it's return!

Quote2018 Lexus LS 500 F SPORT Debuts in New York

•New F SPORT model offers the most engaging LS driving experience ever.
•Includes exclusive F SPORT design touches, 20-inch alloy wheels, 6-piston front and 4 piston rear brakes.
•Available Handling Package for LS 500 RWD F SPORT enhances dynamic feel with chassis tech from LC coupe and helps to underline the "sport" in F SPORT.

New York (April 11, 2017) -- Having debuted its reinvented flagship sedan earlier this year—the all-new 2018 LS 500—Lexus is putting an exclamation point on this signature model with the new F SPORT model. The LS 500 F SPORT, unveiled today and on display this week at the New York International Auto Show, moves the driving emotion needle even farther with handling enhancements and a performance-infused design outside and in.

The original luxury disruptor when it debuted to launch the brand, the Lexus LS has for nearly three decades set benchmarks for powertrain smoothness, ride quietness, craftsmanship, attention to detail, and long-term quality. The 2018 LS 500 will offer the most dynamic driving experience in the model's history; now it has the possibility of being enhanced further with the new F SPORT model.

Within the Lexus lineup, the F models, including GS F and RC F, are the track-tuned maximum performance machines. The F SPORT versions, meanwhile, imbue the standard models with a more engaging driving spirit through carefully applied chassis tuning and enhancements, while still emphasizing exceptional comfort. On the new LS, the F SPORT model will be available with gas and hybrid powertrains, and those choosing the RWD V6TT model will have the option of adding the F SPORT Handling Package to bring a level of liveliness never before seen on the flagship sedan.

F SPORT Look
Lexus designers didn't hold back when giving the LS 500 its coupe-like silhouette and dramatic rendition of the Lexus signature spindle grille that shows even greater intricacy in the design. Developing the F SPORT grille took computer-aided design (CAD) operators some five months to achieve the desired texture and interaction with light. Even then, they adjusted 7,100 individual surfaces to achieve the desired look and texture (compared to 5,000 for the standard model's grille). And when combined with the sporty enlarged side grille, it is functional as well, helping to maintain the vehicle's cooling performance.

The special F SPORT front grille, rocker panel, and trunk moldings accentuate the sedan's rakish profile, while F SPORT badging on fenders and exclusive 20-inch alloy wheels complete the exterior transformation. For those looking to really stand out, Ultra White is offered as an F SPORT-exclusive exterior color.

F SPORT Inside
As it did with the exterior, Lexus shifted the LS 500 cabin into F SPORT spec by applying trim and features exclusive to this version. A common thread through all LS models remains: Omotenashi, the concept of Japanese hospitality. Applied to the LS 500, it means taking care of the driver and passengers, anticipating their needs, attending to their comfort and helping to protect them from hazards. The F SPORT adds a performance attitude to the mix.

The F SPORT persona shines throughout the cabin, starting with the F SPORT-exclusive front seat, which provides enhanced support for dynamic driving. A perforated-grille pattern on seating surfaces and unique scored aluminum trim elements add additional sporty flair.

The driver faces a special F SPORT steering wheel as well as a speedometer and tachometer in a movable meter with a ring that slides to display information—a design adapted from the limited-production Lexus LFA supercar and a further expression of the car's dynamic intentions. Attention to detail shows in the aluminum accelerator, brake and footrest pedals, as well as the F SPORT perforated shift handle and footrest. Ultrasuede in the seats and headliner is the crowning touch. For those desiring the ultimate sporty look, a new Circuit Red interior is available exclusively on F SPORT models.

LS 500 Chassis Details
2018 LS F SPORT models feature the latest generation of the brand's advanced chassis control technology, Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM), which has been refined since its debut more than a decade ago.

In 2004, Lexus introduced the first integrated control system that combined the previously independent ABS, traction control, vehicle stability control, and EPS, as well as other functions, into a single system. In 2012, the brand adopted the four-wheel active steering integrated control system—known as Lexus Dynamic Handling, or LDH—from the GS for enhanced safety and driving performance that responds to the driver's intention.

The new VDIM system implements cooperative control of all vehicle subsystems – braking, steering, powertrain, and suspension – to control basic longitudinal, lateral and vertical motion as well as yaw, roll and pitch. Optimal control of these motions helps to enable exceptional ride comfort, enhanced traction and safety and handling agility, and allows for enriched flat vehicle posture during cornering as well as a more comfortable and stable ride overall.

Sporting Genes
The LS 500 is based on an extended version of the brand's premium global architecture for luxury vehicles (GA–L) platform from the new Lexus LC 500 coupe. The stiffest platform that Lexus has ever developed, GA-L sets the stage for enhanced handling, ride smoothness and cabin quietness. The LS F SPORT capitalizes on the platform's responsiveness and agility.

Equipping the LS 500 F SPORT with standard 20-inch wheels and 245/45RF20+ 275/40RF20 tires, (summer tires for RWD) along with larger front and rear brakes (6-piston calipers on front and 4 pistons on rear), unlocks more of the platform's intrinsic performance capability. Opting for the available F SPORT Handling Package (RWD gas model) equips the LS 500 F SPORT with Lexus Dynamic Handling (Variable Gear Ratio Steering and Active Rear Steering), Active Stabilizer, and sport-tuned air suspension with rapid height function. The result is a full-size premium luxury sedan that responds more like a sports coupe through curves, helping to underline what F SPORT stands for.

415-Horsepower Heart with a 10-Speed Partner
Lexus designed an all-new 3.5-liter V6 engine specifically for the new 2018 LS 500, using twin turbochargers developed through the company's F1 technology. This new twin-turbo V6 offers V8-level performance – 415 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque – paired with the first-ever 10-speed automatic transmission in luxury sedan.

The engine yields a broad torque curve and, perfectly in tune with the F SPORT spirit, the new engine and transmission deliver instant acceleration and a constant buildup of torque toward the vehicle's redline. The LS 500 is undeniably quick, with a 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds (gas RWD). An electric wastegate is among the features that contribute to the engine's rapid responses. The driver can tailor powertrain response and feel by choosing from Normal, Sport S or Sport S+ modes, and just enough of the exhaust note is heard to enhance the sporty feel.

F SPORT Performance, Hybrid Efficiency
The LS 500h F SPORT infuses high efficiency into the sporting formula. The new Multi Stage Hybrid System combines a naturally aspirated Atkinson-cycle 3.5-liter V6 gasoline engine with two electric motor/generators and uses a compact, lightweight lithium-ion battery. The V6 engine uses D-4S direct fuel injection, and lightweight valvetrain components, with Dual VVT-i ensuring ample torque across the engine speed range. Combined system output is 354 hp.

The new system adapts the planetary-type continuously variable transmission from Lexus Hybrid Drive and also adds a unique four-speed automatic transmission. Working in concert, the two gearsets alter output in four stages to utilize the V6 engine across the entire speed range.

In manual mode, the two gearsets act together to provide the effect of 10 ratios, giving the LS 500h F SPORT an enhanced dynamic feel on the road and allowing the driver to shift through the ratios with paddle shifters. The Multi Stage Hybrid System allows for more electric assist at lower vehicle speeds. What's more, this system allows the RWD LS 500h to propel from 0-60 in 5.2 seconds – which is on par with the previous-generation V8-powered LS 460 and 3 /10th of a second faster than the AWD LS 600h.

-

Lexus' passion for brave design, imaginative technology, and exhilarating performance enables the luxury lifestyle brand to create amazing experiences for its customers. Lexus began its journey in 1989 with two luxury sedans and a commitment to pursue perfection. Since then, Lexus has developed its lineup to meet the needs of global luxury customers in more than 90 countries. In the United States, Lexus vehicles are sold through 237 dealers offering a full lineup of luxury vehicles. With five models incorporating Lexus Hybrid Drive, Lexus is the luxury hybrid leader. Lexus also offers six F SPORT models and two F performance models. Lexus is committed to being a visionary brand that anticipates the future for luxury customers.

'racecar is die'
no

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 10, 2017, 06:17:44 AM

Regarding new LS..... I can't unsee this. Just put your thumb over the bumper. Personally I like the Buick more

Can't unsee what? Those cars look nothing alike. :confused:

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

The glass and rooflines looks similar, but the Buick loses it with bunch of tacky chrome details.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Lexus has that face though.... only tacky chrome I see on the Buick are those port holes. Even the wheels are very similar

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

Galaxy

Quote from: 68_427 on April 11, 2017, 10:29:48 PM
Cloth makes it's return!

I was wondering when that would happen, considering that many of the high end Italien luxury furniture makers have using cloth more and more in the last few years.

cawimmer430

In Japan many high-end luxury cars come with simple cloth seats. Even the top-of-the-line Japanese luxury car itself, the Toyota Century, which is a car that was literally designed for the royal family, comes with simple cloth seats.

I don't see the appeal of leather seats. Between leather and fake leather I'd go for the fake leather - lasts longer and is easier to clean. But between leather/fake leather and cloth seats I will always go for cloth seats.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CaminoRacer

If I'm buying a used car, leather seats are less sketchy.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Tave

Leather is easier to care for, and easier to match should you have to replace it. Good leather will wear better than cloth, although cloth is generally more durable.

Cloth is probably a little easier to make comfortable, which is obviously a big factor to many. Also obviously, cloth doesn't have heat issues.

I prefer leather because it's easier to care for and looks better. I don't want to feel overly-comfortable behind the wheel; I want to be supported so my back doesn't ache, but I don't need some couch cushion lulling me to sleep. And ultimately I'd like a cup of coffee now and then without permanently staining the upholstery.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.