¡Bought a MX5 RF!

Started by Laconian, January 19, 2017, 02:35:40 PM

12,000 RPM

I'm guessing in the chase for more efficiency they went with smaller, lower friction gears and shit. New Civic Type Rs have been having gearbox problems.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Tave

The gears feel small as well but the linkage itself floats and vibrates like a twanging guitar string at all times, no matter the road conditions. It absolutely does not tolerate the weight and resistance of your hand; you can easily knock it out on bumps.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Laconian

Quote from: Tave on October 22, 2017, 01:13:25 PM
The gears feel small as well but the linkage itself floats and vibrates like a twanging guitar string at all times, no matter the road conditions. It absolutely does not tolerate the weight and resistance of your hand; you can easily knock it out on bumps.

Hmm, I don't get that impression with my MT. It takes some degree of force to bring it out of gear.

I don't rest my hand on the stick shift though, out of fear that it'll wear out the synchros.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Tave

Quote from: Laconian on October 22, 2017, 01:20:08 PM
Hmm, I don't get that impression with my MT. It takes some degree of force to bring it out of gear.

I don't rest my hand on the stick shift though, out of fear that it'll wear out the synchros.

The action is firm and deliberate; however, glance at the physical box for a second at speed. The entire linkage floats and bounces like a toddler on 5 boxes of Cocoa Puffs. Watch how much movement there is over uneven roads or bumps.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

AutobahnSHO

Will

Laconian

All Miatas are like that, though. I think it's because it isn't connected with a cable.

AutobahnSHO

The original SHO (1989) had a cable linkage and the rod linkage they introduced in 1991 was a super-hot item. Apparently made shifting much more solid. Mine was rod and I sold it for $100 + shipping after mine had to be scrapped. 
Will

MrH

:frown: The Honda Goldwing is getting Carplay before the Miata.  This is sad.

Big Things Are Coming™ has failed us.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Quote from: MrH on October 25, 2017, 06:55:16 AM

Honda Goldwing is best Miata.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on October 25, 2017, 06:55:16 AM

Old habits die hard. Working in PR is the ultimate Big Things Are Coming™ career.

MrH

He said it was happening soon and all the old dudes on the Miata forum thought it was around the corner. That was in March...
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

The RF is still a rare bird here. The attendant at the parking garage was like "WTF is that? Whoa, that's a Mazda?" Then I tell him it's a Miata and he couldn't believe it. "It looks so hot, like a BMW or a Boxster!!"

Maybe, but only 155hp :lol:

giant_mtb

I think I've yet to see an RF in real life. :rockon:

Laconian

I've seen one here. Three or four around the Bay Area. One in Belgium.

CaminoRacer

I almost test drove one but it was an automatic, so I drove a stickshift soft top instead.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 26, 2017, 08:16:51 PM
I think I've yet to see an RF in real life. :rockon:

I've seen a few. It looks like a Miata that they didn't finish making into a convertible.

Still, it's a step up from the PRHT.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

There are a few of them roaming around here. They're gorgeous. ND may be my favorite new car.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on October 27, 2017, 05:57:06 AM
I've seen a few. It looks like a Miata that they didn't finish making into a convertible.

Still, it's a step up from the PRHT.

It's what the Pontiac Solstice wanted to be.

AutobahnSHO

I saw an RF with the top up on the interstate a while back.   Pretty handsome, I'd love to see top hidden....

LOVE the ND. It's my most-realistic-might-have-dream car right now.
Will

Laconian

The power mods are terrible though. The Edelbrock supercharger just came out and it only boosts WHP to 200. For $4300. Ferrrrrrrrrrt that's abysmal.

Speaking of ferrrrrt, Flyin' Miata sells an active exhaust for $400 that makes no extra power but sounds awesome. <_<

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on October 27, 2017, 11:19:33 AM
The power mods are terrible though. The Edelbrock supercharger just came out and it only boosts WHP to 200. For $4300. Ferrrrrrrrrrt that's abysmal.

Speaking of ferrrrrt, Flyin' Miata sells an active exhaust for $400 that makes no extra power but sounds awesome. <_<

That's almost 100 hp gain at the crank. 66% improvement sunds about right.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Laconian on October 27, 2017, 11:19:33 AM

200 hp to the wheels seems pretty solid IMHO. If its a reputable supplier with a warranty even better.

Laconian

Well, the MX5 qualifies as an EPA "Greenway" car, which means I can park in the Low Emissions Vehicle spots at work.

I'm kind of afraid to do it because it'll probably provoke some whining from opinionated Googlers who don't know about cars. Mehhh, what's this sports car doing in the hybrid parking spots?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on November 07, 2017, 12:02:00 PM
Well, the MX5 qualifies as an EPA "Greenway" car, which means I can park in the Low Emissions Vehicle spots at work.

I'm kind of afraid to do it because it'll probably provoke some whining from opinionated Googlers who don't know about cars. Mehhh, what's this sports car doing in the hybrid parking spots?

Tell them you aren't polluting the environment with giant discarded batteries...   Circulate an informational flyer near the foosball table(s)..
Will

Laconian

Meh, I'll just point to the entry in the database and preach the gospel of the glorious 31MPG backroads romping / 38MPG road tripping MX5.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on November 07, 2017, 12:56:44 PM
Meh, I'll just point to the entry in the database and preach the gospel of the glorious 31MPG backroads romping / 38MPG road tripping MX5.

:lol:

I used to mash on the gas constantly and never dipped under 28MPG city in my NA.
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on November 07, 2017, 12:02:00 PM

Just put a pic of an open lithium mine on the back window.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator