Bought a Valentines gift for my wife. BMW 330ci

Started by ChrisV, February 14, 2017, 08:44:26 AM

ChrisV

She knew I was looking before hand, and helped pick it out. But the one I found in the CL thread I bought yesterday.

330ci ZHP convertible, Sport, Premium, Cold weather packages. Harmon Kardon sound system. Black over Dakota tan leather. Only thing about it that I'm not fond of, but she wanted after decades of driving manual, was the steptronic automatic (not the problematic and sucky SMG). Still plenty fast especially in manual mode. Fun car, comfortable, relatively quiet inside, no rattles. 93k miles. Bought it in Chantilly, VA and drove the 2 hours back home on both backroads and interstate. She's in love with it, and I can't wait for warm weather to drive with the top down on weekend drives.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

MrH

Looks great, congrats!  Those have aged really well.  And you got the updated LED taillights.

How much did you end up getting it for?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

ChrisV

$8500 plus tax, title, and licensing. Smack in the middle of KBB dealer pricing for this car and mileage. Forgot to mention it's a 2005.

SJ_GTI

Very nice looking car, congrats (to your wife)!

Shame about no manuel but if the car is not for you then what can you say.  :lol:

I almost bought a 3-series in this generation when I first moved to Montreal. The local dealer has a nice sedan in inventory with this weird yellowish interior that looked fantastic...only downside is that it was an automatic. I test drove it and I recall the (5-speed) automatic transmission working well and it drove beautifully, but at the end of the day I was set on getting a 6MT so ended up getting something else instead.

r0tor

Why can't we buy new cars with such a simple straightforward interior -sigh-
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CaminoRacer

You're making me want an E46 again. I miss mine.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on February 14, 2017, 09:33:43 AM

Buttons! Screens! Weirdly shaped buttons! Buttons with creases! Capacitive buttons! Screens! Weird edges everywhere!

Yeah, it sucks.

Eye of the Tiger

Reason #-2 Versa
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

veeman

12 year old car, nearly 100,000 miles... and it looks new both on the outside and inside.  The previous owner must have been someone like you :lol:

Congratulations

Vinsanity

What a lucky lady 😍 lol

Beautiful car...I've always loved BMW convertibles. And you got one in the best color combo too 😉

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

giant_mtb

Nice car. That's a seriously good looking design, inside and out. Nice to see a prime specimen.  I know others have said it, but those have aged sooooo well.

cawimmer430

Nice choice!  :cheers:

Is this a GM automatic transmission? I remember that BMWs from the 1990s to like what, the early 2000s, used GM automatic transmissions.

Because more buttons = sophisticated:banghead:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MexicoCityM3

Congrats. That's beautiful and goes very well with your E38.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

SJ_GTI

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 15, 2017, 12:34:13 PM

Is this a GM automatic transmission? I remember that BMWs from the 1990s to like what, the early 2000s, used GM automatic transmissions.

Curious to hear the answer from an expert, but my recollection is that when they went to a 5-speed automatic it was no longer a GM unit.

ChrisV

It's a modified GM based one, with manual shift capability, basically like the little brother of the ZF in my 7 series.

CaminoRacer

The 5 speed?

Being GM-derived wouldn't surprise me. It's an excellent transmission.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

ChrisV

yeah, I'm thinking it'll be stronger and more reliable than a ZF. Mine had the fluid changed out before I got it. Shifts excellent.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

cawimmer430

Thanks! I was pretty sure it's a GM automatic.  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AutobahnSHO

congrats!! 

You need to suck it up and put a hat/gloves on and put the top down. :lol: :lol:
Will

AutobahnSHO

How big is the backseat? Can't tell from pics if real people would fit or not.
Will

ChrisV

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 18, 2017, 07:51:05 AM
congrats!! 

You need to suck it up and put a hat/gloves on and put the top down. :lol: :lol:

It was 70 degrees out over the weekend. Drove all over northern MD and into southern PA on fun backroads with the top down. With a short sleeve shirt on, no less.

Oh and yes, you can put adults in the back. Temporarily. If you're mad at them. But it can be done. lol!

AutobahnSHO

I'm so jealous. I really really want a 'vert. Summer here is glorious, doesn't get too hot that you'd want A/C.
Will

ChrisV

My wife took it to TN to see her brother and while there:

We've been loving this thing. So much fun to drive.