Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

At first I thought that the Bluetooth phone key was a gimmick, but then I remembered that many of the wireless key systems have been hacked and are therefore fare much worse than a BT solution.

BT's not great but at least you can't hack it with a braindead replay attack.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/a15070866/tesla-model-3-test-drive-review/

Has this been posted yet? Nice article with lots of great photos. The cabin is indeed very clean. I don't think that cleanliness is by default the ideal interface, but mission accomplished with maximizing curb appeal.

It sounds like they actually prefer the 3 over the S for some things, even:

Road and tire noise seeped into our Model S, while the Model 3 whooshed along in dampened silence; the studious minimalism of the 3's interior made the S's dash and door panels seem overadorned. Outward vision from the S's driver's seat feels needlessly clipped. The esophagus-squeezing rush of Ludicrous Mode is still as exhilarating as ever, but it makes the hefty, uneager-to-turn Model S feel like a one-trick ZEV. If the S was an ambitious and successful first experiment, the 3 benefits from everything Tesla has learned since.

And of course:
I can't say the same for the giant central display. It's easy enough to remember to look to the right to find your speed or odometer—gazing through the steering wheel at a featureless expanse of dashboard is a handy reminder. But it demands an extra thought to accomplish something that's been ingrained in every driver's mind. It's akin to a bottle company producing a righty-loosey, lefty-tighty jar. You'd get used to it, eventually, but only after un-learning a deeply habitual behavior.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

I was watching a vid of French road test of a Model S and they translated ludicrous mode as "mode démentiel."

This would be great for Tesla's next rung up on the bonkers ladder:
Insane Mode
Ludicrous Mode
and now Demented Mode.

93JC

:nono:

"Ludicrous Mode" is a joke from Spaceballs. Logically, the next level is 'Plaid'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAWL8ejf2nM

Soup DeVille

Ludicrous Is Plaid.

In fact, the IP on the model S goes plaid during Ludicrous mode
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

93JC

Well that does it then, I'll never support Tesla if they fuck up that joke like that.

2o6

Wait.....ludicrous mode is a Spaceballs reference?

That's so damn corny.

93JC

Yes, of course it's a Spaceballs reference.

12,000 RPM

And Elon wonders why he has trouble with the ladies....
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on February 27, 2018, 08:17:11 PM
At first I thought that the Bluetooth phone key was a gimmick, but then I remembered that many of the wireless key systems have been hacked and are therefore fare much worse than a BT solution.

BT's not great but at least you can't hack it with a braindead replay attack.

Yeah, true. I wish car manufacturers would come out with an unhackable key. You know, like a key.

Humanity is so lazy that literally taking something out of your pocket is too much trouble and we'd rather have a system that someone can easily break into from a laptop. Fuck this world, for real. I'm surprised more people don't walk around with colostomy bags and catheters because taking your pants off to shit or piss is way too much work. Anything that isn't texting, society no longer wants to do.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Regular keys are hackable too :huh: Me and my Honda buddies would use each other's keys on different cars all the time,.

CALL_911

Quote from: Raza  on March 02, 2018, 05:30:45 AM
Yeah, true. I wish car manufacturers would come out with an unhackable key. You know, like a key.

Humanity is so lazy that literally taking something out of your pocket is too much trouble and we'd rather have a system that someone can easily break into from a laptop. Fuck this world, for real. I'm surprised more people don't walk around with colostomy bags and catheters because taking your pants off to shit or piss is way too much work. Anything that isn't texting, society no longer wants to do.

Dude u gotta relax- those keys are prob less secure than what we have today

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 93JC on February 28, 2018, 07:47:50 PM
Well that does it then, I'll never support Tesla if they fuck up that joke like that.

I was wrong; its the Roadster that goes plaid. The Model S is just Ludicrous.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 02, 2018, 09:30:29 AM

Tow truck trumps all.

IMO; the fewer contraptions that can stop a vehicle from running, the better. physical ignition switches Can be bypassed. This isn't always a bad thing.

CALL_911

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 02, 2018, 10:09:22 AM
Tow truck trumps all.

IMO; the fewer contraptions that can stop a vehicle from running, the better. physical ignition switches Can be bypassed. This isn't always a bad thing.

I don't disagree with you

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CaminoRacer

Keys working on multiple vehicles isn't the fault of the key, it's laziness.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

I've seen more than one Facebook post from friends with FCA vehicles who can't start their cars in the cold via pushbutton because the battery in the fob is too cold to chooch. haha

Granted, a fresh battery will fix the problem, but.

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 02, 2018, 09:30:29 AM

You think so?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Morris Minor

Interesting article in the paper today, basically saying that Tesla's approaching make or break: critical to ramp up Model 3 production now to generate cash, or it'll have to raise more capital. And the capital well is beginning to run dry, as lenders & analysts are already very twitchy about them.
The car's getting good reviews - it just needs to get more of them out there: as in 5,000 of them per week out there.

:popcorn:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 16, 2018, 05:21:23 AM
Interesting article in the paper today, basically saying that Tesla's approaching make or break: critical to ramp up Model 3 production now to generate cash, or it'll have to raise more capital. And the capital well is beginning to run dry, as lenders & analysts are already very twitchy about them.
The car's getting good reviews - it just needs to get more of them out there: as in 5,000 of them per week out there.

:popcorn:

Yup. good luck!  :popcorn:
Will

SJ_GTI

Poking around the intertubes, it looks like Tesla sold 3,030 Model 3's in February. That was enough to make it the highest volume electric car, but still seems way behind where they expected to be. It was more than a 50% increase over January though.

MX793

Right now Tesla has been delivering to a sizeable backlog of pre-orders.  What will demand and sales look like when they finally make good on those pre-orders?  Will their sales charts look like the Gen5 Camaro, where pent up demand resulted in big sales for the first 2 years followed by a sharp decline once all of that pent up demand was met?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

5th gen Camaro sales (April '09 - June '15) were, on say a 60 day rolling average, about flat; but in short, if the Model 3 similarly pulls off flat deliveries for the next 6 years, the auto industry will never be the same (I think it highly unlikely):

Morris Minor

It has begun. Tesla bonds have been downgraded, stock is down 23% on the month. Raising more debt to fund the cash burn just got a lot more difficult.

Either - Elon will pull a rabbit of of a hat so they can soldier on.
Or - Tesla will be taken over by someone.

12,000 RPM

O boy. And no green friendly Dem government to save them. I don't even think the Republik of Kalifornia can bail them out.

As someone (maybe you Morris?) said earlier, Tesla would make a great purchase for a real car company.

SJ_GTI

Saw an article on this subject. It mentioned that based on NTSB reporting that folks are estimating roughly ~1000 Model 3 units are being produced a week right now.

Submariner

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 28, 2018, 01:52:16 PM
Saw an article on this subject. It mentioned that based on NTSB reporting that folks are estimating roughly ~1000 Model 3 units are being produced a week right now.

Well, they're on a good trajectory (sort of).  Anyone know their breakevens/how much cash they have left to burn through? 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Morris Minor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 28, 2018, 01:27:27 PM
O boy. And no green friendly Dem government to save them. I don't even think the Republik of Kalifornia can bail them out.

As someone (maybe you Morris?) said earlier, Tesla would make a great purchase for a real car company.
That's what it would take. A friendly government to give them an assist with a bailout, or a $5/gal Federal gasoline tax.

Morris Minor

Heavy selling of Tesla Inc. TSLA -7.67% shares and bonds persisted Wednesday, posing a new challenge to the electric-car maker that has relied on the faith of investors to meet pressing cash needs.

The company's shares fell $21.40, or 7.7%, to $257.78, extending a weekslong decline that deepened Tuesday amid broad weakness among technology stocks, increased scrutiny of the company's semiautonomous driving system, and a credit-rating downgrade from Moody's Investors Service.

Tesla's 5.3% unsecured bonds that mature in 2025, issued last August when the company's stock price was near its height, touched a low of 86 cents on the dollar—translating to a 7.8% yield—before ticking up to 88 cents, according to MarketAxess."
More: https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-bonds-reach-new-low-stock-falls-further-after-downgrade-accident-1522253660 (paywalled)

Note also that Waymo is buying 20,000 Jaguar EV SUVs for its taxi fleet... not Teslas...