Cancelled My Registration - WTF?

Started by veeman, February 25, 2017, 12:39:58 AM

veeman

After I turned in my diesel Beetle, I called my insurance company to cancel my auto insurance.  I asked the insurance agent what do I do with my license plates.  He said to go online to Connecticut DMV and cancel my registration and after I do that, I could throw away my plates.  So I went online and after 30 seconds canceled my registration.  All I needed was my license plate number, my name, and my driver's license number. 

So I was thinking...shit... with just someone's license number, you could easily in 30 seconds cancel someone else's car registration?!  In 30 seconds...

giant_mtb

You didn't have to put in a name, address, and/or last 4 SSN digits?

veeman

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 25, 2017, 02:10:15 AM
You didn't have to put in a name, address, and/or last 4 SSN digits?

https://dmvcivls-wselfservice.ct.gov/Registration/TerminateindividualReg

Everything you need is right on someone's driver's license.  All you need is someone's driver's license and plate number.  Totally ridiculous, right?

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on February 25, 2017, 02:48:44 AM

Everything you need is right on someone's driver's license.  All you need is someone's driver's license and plate number.  Totally ridiculous, right?

Maybe I'll try to go in and cancel your license.... :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

giant_mtb

Quote from: veeman on February 25, 2017, 02:48:44 AM

I don't think it's all that ridiculous...if you lose your license, you report it and get a new one.  Requiring the corresponding ID number to cancel a plate seems fairly appropriate to me. :huh:

68_427

I just didn't renew mine  fuck 'em

and the fine they'll probably give me
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

dazzleman

Quote from: 68_427 on February 26, 2017, 11:17:48 AM
I just didn't renew mine  fuck 'em

and the fine they'll probably give me

Your entire income must go to liquor and traffic fines.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

68_427

A couple hours after that post I had some booze Charlie sent me from yee old England

so I still didn't pay for it :lol:
'racecar is die'
no

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 26, 2017, 10:27:53 AM
I don't think it's all that ridiculous...if you lose your license, you report it and get a new one.  Requiring the corresponding ID number to cancel a plate seems fairly appropriate to me. :huh:

The issue is that if someone has a picture of your license and knows your plate number, they can cancel your registration. They should require More verification.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 27, 2017, 09:47:13 AM
The issue is that if someone has a picture of your license and knows your plate number, they can cancel your registration. They should require More verification.

Why would anybody have a picture of your license besides a job or maybe a car dealership when you test drive?  Giving out your license information is as dumb as giving out a credit card number. :huh:

AutobahnSHO

Will