The Amphicar

Started by dazzleman, February 26, 2017, 05:07:38 AM

dazzleman

Does anybody else remember the Amphicar?  It was a car that could travel both on land and on water.  Apparently, it was good at neither.  I vaguely remembered my parents pointing one out to me when we were driving along a body of water when I was a small child.  I had mostly forgotten it, or thought maybe I didn't remember it right, until the Amphicar turned up on a list of the worst cars ever made.  They said it was made from 1961-68, which would have been the right timeframe for me to have seen it.  Interesting piece of automotive history.

http://www.amphicar.com/

http://www.amphicars.com/
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

cawimmer430

I remember it. One famous owner was US president Lyndon B. Johnson, who was a bit of a prankster with it. According to Wiki...

President Lyndon B. Johnson was known as an owner of an Amphicar. Johnson, a known practical joker, was said to enjoy frightening visitors at his Johnson City, Texas ranch by driving them downhill in his Amphicar, directly into his property's lake, all the while shouting that he had malfunctioning brakes.

:rastaman:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

dazzleman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 26, 2017, 08:55:55 AM
I remember it. One famous owner was US president Lyndon B. Johnson, who was a bit of a prankster with it. According to Wiki...

President Lyndon B. Johnson was known as an owner of an Amphicar. Johnson, a known practical joker, was said to enjoy frightening visitors at his Johnson City, Texas ranch by driving them downhill in his Amphicar, directly into his property's lake, all the while shouting that he had malfunctioning brakes.

:rastaman:

LBJ was a sicko... :lol:  I had never heard before that he had an Amphicar.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Soup DeVille

Yeah, one of those ideas that sounded better than it actually worked. It basically came down to buying either a decent boat And a nice car, or spending the same money and getting something that could be bad at doing both.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Leno did a show segment about them. Him and some other dude raced around a lake. I think top speed on water was something like 10 knots.  :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on March 02, 2017, 07:48:03 AM
Leno did a show segment about them. Him and some other dude raced around a lake. I think top speed on water was something like 10 knots.  :lol:

Short, full displacement hull, and wheels hanging down. That's better than I would expect.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

93JC

Anybody else remember the Gibbs Aquada? It looked a little like an NB Miata:

Top speed was 27 kt on the water.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 93JC on March 02, 2017, 12:44:02 PM
Anybody else remember the Gibbs Aquada? It looked a little like an NB Miata:

Top speed was 27 kt on the water.

Lol, yeah.

I almost went to work for them when they were working on the quadski.

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

One of the members of my father's military vehicle club has one of those. Interesting car. 4WD in first gear and reverse only.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 03, 2017, 02:50:41 PM
One of the members of my father's military vehicle club has one of those. Interesting car. 4WD in first gear and reverse only.

I own one.

1:35 scale from Tamiya:lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Speed_Racer

I saw one in really great condition at a car show last year. It was my favorite of the cars they had, so quirky!

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: shp4man on March 02, 2017, 07:48:03 AM
They also raced some type of converted Jeep on water!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

68_427

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on March 03, 2017, 08:51:09 PM
They also raced some type of converted Jeep on water!

Wasn't that US Top Gear
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide