Sporty G37 thread

Started by 12,000 RPM, March 14, 2017, 07:19:57 PM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Xer0 on December 22, 2017, 05:21:23 PM
I've actually thought a lot about this for future used cars I may or may not buy.  The backup camera and smartphone integration are pretty much the only must have modern car conveniences, imo, and if I can retroactively install them after the fact, that would fix my only hangup on getting an older car, like an S2K or E90 M3 or whatever.  Let us know how it goes.

There's no screen to integrate to in an S2K, and a backup camera seems kinda silly on a small 2 seater.
On a large SUV, sure I can see it being useful, but on a convertible?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Some convertibles have pretty bad rear visibility work the top up. My Z was not even a convertible, but it could be tricky to parallel park even though it was a member of the Under 170" Vehicle Society. Couldn't see out of the damn back
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Xer0

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 22, 2017, 11:05:04 PM
There's no screen to integrate to in an S2K, and a backup camera seems kinda silly on a small 2 seater.
On a large SUV, sure I can see it being useful, but on a convertible?

I've seen backup cameras installed in cars as a separate screen that kind of looks like a Tom Tom.  But at minimum bluetooth integration is totally possible which should be enough.  Backup camera isn't needed, but it sure is nice  :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Xer0 on December 23, 2017, 09:25:50 AM
I've seen backup cameras installed in cars as a separate screen that kind of looks like a Tom Tom.  But at minimum bluetooth integration is totally possible which should be enough.  Backup camera isn't needed, but it sure is nice  :lol:

It's a single DIN radio, any number of options to swap out there.

There are also camera which replace the rear view mirror and use a small section of the mirror when they're on.

The aftermarket unit in my wagon has better Bluetooth and speaker phone/voice recognition than most OEM units.

I guess what I'm saying is, I wouldn't let lack of some of these things be a deciding factor, but if you find you can't live without them, there are solutions.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

There are still good analog solutions.

Soup DeVille

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 22, 2017, 10:53:35 PM
In the middle of nowhere that can be a viable strategy. Out here, we have overpasses and shit. They will jump out on you.

Watch the traffic flow & brake lights.

Or don't speed so much. :huh:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Most head unit integrations are a disaster. It's simple. Just Bluetooth is all you need. Then get a pro clip style mount to put your phone up.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on December 23, 2017, 12:46:26 PM
Most head unit integrations are a disaster. It's simple. Just Bluetooth is all you need. Then get a pro clip style mount to put your phone up.
Most? How many have you tested?

AutobahnSHO

They really do need to figure out a way to use a car screen as a second monitor for phones like you do with monitors for laptops.

Doesn't need to be anything fancy like extending or anything, just mirror to the right size.
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 26, 2017, 07:30:33 AM
They really do need to figure out a way to use a car screen as a second monitor for phones like you do with monitors for laptops.

Doesn't need to be anything fancy like extending or anything, just mirror to the right size.

It's largely illegal- or at least against DOT regs; something about watching movies while driving. That's why a lot of cars have limited functions underway. Aftermarket can get away with a lot more.

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 26, 2017, 07:30:33 AM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 26, 2017, 08:47:13 AM
It's largely illegal- or at least against DOT regs; something about watching movies while driving. That's why a lot of cars have limited functions underway. Aftermarket can get away with a lot more.

yeah yeah..

Lock out video media but allow maps, phone calls, music.
Will

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 26, 2017, 09:07:25 AM

Have you ever used navigation or listened to music while driving?

Would you agree that touch screen functions are easier on something tablet sized vs phone sized while driving?

SJ_GTI

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 26, 2017, 05:01:46 PM
yeah yeah..

Lock out video media but allow maps, phone calls, music.

So basically apple carplay and android auto.  :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 04, 2018, 11:16:33 AM
So basically apple carplay and android auto.  :lol:

I haven't used either so, if that's what they do, awesome!...
Will

12,000 RPM

Did some stuff... another oil change and finally put the child seat base in. I don't know how or why but when I played with the seat fitment before it was tight. But now it fits fine. My wife doesn't even have to move the seat up for appropriate clearance. Very easy to load as well. I floated wifey getting another sedan after the MKX... she basically said "over my dead body, I am a crossover convert"

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 26, 2018, 07:22:26 AM
Did some stuff... another oil change and finally put the child seat base in. I don't know how or why but when I played with the seat fitment before it was tight. But now it fits fine. My wife doesn't even have to move the seat up for appropriate clearance. Very easy to load as well. I floated wifey getting another sedan after the MKX... she basically said "over my dead body, I am a crossover convert"

Yeah, that ship has sailed for 99% of moms. I also floated a 5 sedan when we got the X5 and was basically laughed out of the house.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

To be fair, with the stroller and diaper bag the extra trunk space is appreciated and utilized. And a sedan/wagon with the same interior space would take up more space in the garage. But I am going to be picking her up from day care and I'm glad I don't have to move my passenger seat up.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 26, 2018, 07:22:26 AM
I floated wifey getting another sedan after the MKX... she basically said "over my dead body, I am a crossover convert"

:lol: 

(They're just tall hatchbacks/ short wagons)....
Will