Best choice for long distance commuting car..

Started by MexicoCityM3, March 29, 2017, 08:48:33 AM

MexicoCityM3

Ok, so we'll be moving to León in about 3 months. This is 400km away from Mexico City. There is an airport there but door-to-door travel times are very close in a car. Best case scenario flying takes 2.5 hours if there are absolutely no delays and light traffic on both ends. Typical drive is 4 hours.

I'll have to commute back here a ton (we're holding on to our rented apt) for work. Possibly weekly at first. The drive is on multi lane superhighways in fair to good state of repair. Road repair works and accidents are relatively common so there is the occasional large jam, not to mention that entering and exiting Mexico City can be quite stressful to say the least. The roads present a lot of chances for high speed driving "autobahn style". The drive is mostly on flat straight roads except for maybe 30 or 40km of relatively fun mountain driving.

I want to get a car specifically to pile on a ton of miles on for these drives over the next two to three years. These are my requirements:

- Comfortable. It must have great seats and a nice plush interior.
- Active cruise control/driver assists. I want these features to relax a bit when I want on those long drives.
- Good highway power. Must reach 200 plus km/h and have reasonable passing power above 150kph
- Not terrible fuel economy. I prefer if it makes 25+ mpg highway.
- Good sound system. To enjoy music on the road.
- New or CPO with some warranty. I don't want to budget for anything extra repair-wise.
- A bit fun on the twisty parts.
- Stylish. I am a snob, so no "non-premium" brands.
- Budget varies wildly between say 40K and 80K. This mostly depends on whether I want to hold on to my M5 which I love but can't be relied on for this. Too high mileage for such a finicky car.

This car would be driven in Mexico City but mostly stay parked in León where I'd keep the fun fleet. I am open to something not BMW.

So far I've thought of :

- New 911 Carrera manual with very few options. This is at the top of my price range. I'd have to let go of the M5 and one of the other two cars at least.
- New 5er in 30i, 40i or 50i guise.
- CPO 6er Coupe or grand Coupe
- Jag XF S
- New loaded 440i Coupe
- merc c class Coupe
- merc e class Coupe
- Volvo S90

This will take 3 to 9 months to decide. What does the spin think?

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Rich

911 Carerra. Chubby cheddar did the same kind of thing. He traded in one of the turbo BMWs for one or was cross shopping them, I can't remember. He factory ordered it with only 2-3k in options and got the non S.

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Lebowski

I like the 911 but I don't think I'd want one if I was racking up that kind of miles (~25k miles a year if weekly).

Can you trade w/ your wife and take the X5 on the days you commute?  Man, you have a lot of cars I definitely would not be looking to add another one.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Rich on March 29, 2017, 08:53:02 AM
911 Carerra. Chubby cheddar did the same kind of thing. He traded in one of the turbo BMWs for one or was cross shopping them, I can't remember. He factory ordered it with only 2-3k in options and got the non S.

Quote from: Lebowski on March 29, 2017, 09:22:59 AM
I like the 911 but I don't think I'd want one if I was racking up that kind of miles (~25k miles a year if weekly).
Can you trade w/ your wife and take the X5 on the days you commute?  Man, you have a lot of cars I definitely would not be looking to add another one.

The 911 is a "dream car" for me. A step up from what I have. However, I am not sure if it's the best car for this job. To get active cruise control I'd have to get the PDK which I don't want. The combo of those options is very expensive on an already expensive car. Also, I'd have to keep the MINI in Mexico City for use here. Too risky security-wise to drive every day on the 911. It's almost an exotic here.

Lebowski, mostly forget about the financial wisdom of this. There is none. I could of course manage with what I have. But cars are my toys. Financially it makes more sense to run the M5 to the ground even factoring in the huge repair bills it would probably generate.

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 29, 2017, 09:07:37 AM
6 coupe. :wub:

I like this option. I probably could get a large discount on a new one because it is approaching its end of life. Or a less expensive CPO. Only problem is if I want to get ACC new is probably the only choice as the default config here doesn't include it. Almost impossible to find a used one with it.

http://auto.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-578366802-bmw-grand-coupe-650ia-2014-perfecto-estado-_JM
http://auto.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-575500685-bmw-650-i-coupe-2016-v8-biturbo-nuevo-_JM

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

I would seriously consider getting an econocar rather than racking up that kind of mileage on something nicer or higher end (and with expensive maintenance costs).  A Civic or Corolla or Mazda3 will slip fuel, be cheap to run, and not kill your wallet as badly when you unload them with 6-figure mileage after 4 years.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rich

On second though I think helicopter and landing pad at work or the apartment. There's a car there waiting for you anyway
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MX793

Quote from: Rich on March 29, 2017, 10:30:54 AM
On second though I think helicopter and landing pad at work or the apartment. There's a car there waiting for you anyway

I was thinking that as well.  As a plan B.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on March 29, 2017, 10:24:15 AM
I would seriously consider getting an econocar rather than racking up that kind of mileage on something nicer or higher end (and with expensive maintenance costs).  A Civic or Corolla or Mazda3 will slip fuel, be cheap to run, and not kill your wallet as badly when you unload them with 6-figure mileage after 4 years.
The Turbo I4s are capable of great mileage; even in a semi-luxury vehicle.  I was surprised that I was able to get 6.3 L/100 K on our Discovery Sport with a 2 litre turbo (EcoBoost); 37+ mpg.  Of course, at 240 kph, it wouldn't do as good.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Lebowski

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on March 29, 2017, 10:08:34 AM

Lebowski, mostly forget about the financial wisdom of this. There is none. I could of course manage with what I have. But cars are my toys. Financially it makes more sense to run the M5 to the ground even factoring in the huge repair bills it would probably generate.

Nah, financially it would make the most sense to sell all your cars and buy you and your wife each a used economical car. I'm not suggesting you do that, and you still have a damn nice stable of cars.

I get the owning 911 being a dream thing, it used to be for me too.

veeman

Personally and I'm obviously not you but I'm "trying" to put myself in your shoes.

- I wouldn't get the Porsche.  As you said it's an exotic down there and I wouldn't want the added stress of looking over my shoulder making sure no one is following me on a weekly long commute.  That's just adding unnecessary stress.  You have the track to appease your adrenaline rush and are a part owner of a high end Porsche already to boot. 

- Are you seriously going to go away from BMW or is all this just bullshit.  Mini is BMW owned.  Other than the high end Porsche, every car you've ever owned is BMW and you are President of the BMW fan club or something like that.  Doesn't really jive to get a Mercedes, Audi, or Jaguar when you can get an equivalent BMW and you already know all the shops which can work on your BMW. 

- In your shoes, I'd say screw it and I'd get something different than a BMW.  Just for variety's sake.  I'd want something with a cabin different than all my other cars with different design elements and layout.  So I would remove all BMWs from the list purposely to force myself to go outside my comfort zone.

- I'd get a Mercedes E class sedan or coupe.  I don't know if they sell bluetec (the diesel) over there but a bluetec sedan is a great long distance car.  The E250 Bluetec get's > 40 miles per gallon highway and at that rate gets around 840 miles per tank full of gas.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

Quote from: mzziaz on March 29, 2017, 01:15:02 PM
That cockpit looked a bit sketchy. Except for that, pure win!

That big hole in the middle is the perfect spot for your infotainment screen...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: MX793 on March 29, 2017, 10:24:15 AM

No. I'll be spending a ton of time in this car. I want to pamper myself a bit.

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 29, 2017, 01:11:05 PM
Used S-class?

Possibly. I've also looked at a couple of last year previous gen 7 series and there are a few CPO for sale. Hadn't thought of an S class.

Quote from: veeman on March 29, 2017, 11:50:06 AM
Personally and I'm obviously not you but I'm "trying" to put myself in your shoes.

- I wouldn't get the Porsche.  As you said it's an exotic down there and I wouldn't want the added stress of looking over my shoulder making sure no one is following me on a weekly long commute.  That's just adding unnecessary stress.  You have the track to appease your adrenaline rush and are a part owner of a high end Porsche already to boot. 

- Are you seriously going to go away from BMW or is all this just bullshit.  Mini is BMW owned.  Other than the high end Porsche, every car you've ever owned is BMW and you are President of the BMW fan club or something like that.  Doesn't really jive to get a Mercedes, Audi, or Jaguar when you can get an equivalent BMW and you already know all the shops which can work on your BMW. 

- In your shoes, I'd say screw it and I'd get something different than a BMW.  Just for variety's sake.  I'd want something with a cabin different than all my other cars with different design elements and layout.  So I would remove all BMWs from the list purposely to force myself to go outside my comfort zone.

- I'd get a Mercedes E class sedan or coupe.  I don't know if they sell bluetec (the diesel) over there but a bluetec sedan is a great long distance car.  The E250 Bluetec get's > 40 miles per gallon highway and at that rate gets around 840 miles per tank full of gas.

I am really open to something different. I like the new 5er but it is a bit boring styling wise. A coupe would be better for this. Jaguar, Merc, Volvo all possible. Alfa too. Not Audi though. I am not paying through the nose for a VW. No disrespect to Dave here. Or Raza. Or half the spin that loves them VWs.

I like the new E class coupe a lot. We'll see how it's priced and equipped in a few months when it arrives here. A C43 coupe could be nice as well. It is priced right here.

Quote from: Rich on March 29, 2017, 10:30:54 AM

Lol. Wouldn't that be grand.

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 29, 2017, 10:56:08 AM
The Turbo I4s are capable of great mileage; even in a semi-luxury vehicle.  I was surprised that I was able to get 6.3 L/100 K on our Discovery Sport with a 2 litre turbo (EcoBoost); 37+ mpg.  Of course, at 240 kph, it wouldn't do as good.

Fuel cost is part of the equation.  Wear and tear, routine maintenance and service, etc...  It's going to cost a lot more visiting your local BMW/MB/Jag/Audi/LR dealer or certified mechanic than to get your Honda/Toyota/Mazda worked on.  Parts will be cheaper, too (remember that radiators are a "wear item" on BMWs that have routine replacement intervals).  If you're racking up 25-30K miles a year on this car, you're looking at more service visits per year, more parts needing replacement sooner (by calendar) due to wear, etc...  Not to mention depreciation.  An E class or 5er with 150K miles isn't going to be worth much more than an Accord at the same mileage, but will cost a lot more when new, cost a lot more to maintain, and probably be harder to sell (lots of folks are leery of really high mileage luxury/premium cars).
Needs more Jiggawatts

Soup DeVille

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: MX793 on March 29, 2017, 04:16:25 PM
Fuel cost is part of the equation.  Wear and tear, routine maintenance and service, etc...  It's going to cost a lot more visiting your local BMW/MB/Jag/Audi/LR dealer or certified mechanic than to get your Honda/Toyota/Mazda worked on.  Parts will be cheaper, too (remember that radiators are a "wear item" on BMWs that have routine replacement intervals).  If you're racking up 25-30K miles a year on this car, you're looking at more service visits per year, more parts needing replacement sooner (by calendar) due to wear, etc...  Not to mention depreciation.  An E class or 5er with 150K miles isn't going to be worth much more than an Accord at the same mileage, but will cost a lot more when new, cost a lot more to maintain, and probably be harder to sell (lots of folks are leery of really high mileage luxury/premium cars).

You got me to look at the local Acura site. A loaded TLX would be literally half the price of a similarly equipped 540i. That Acura would be the FWD V6. It's about 33K FFS. A bit tempting, I might go test drive one.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

2o6

BimmerM3

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on March 29, 2017, 04:33:49 PM
You got me to look at the local Acura site. A loaded TLX would be literally half the price of a similarly equipped 540i. That Acura would be the FWD V6. It's about 33K FFS. A bit tempting, I might go test drive one.

Just out of curiosity, what makes Acura acceptable but Audi not?

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 29, 2017, 04:51:09 PM
Just out of curiosity, what makes Acura acceptable but Audi not?

The Acura is half the price of an equivalent Audi (or BMW or Benz).
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)