What would it take for you to give up car ownership for ride sharing?

Started by 12,000 RPM, April 12, 2017, 02:32:21 PM

shp4man

Raza

Quote from: shp4man on April 19, 2017, 11:04:38 AM
Por que?, they no speaky Spanish?

I'd say the vast majority do, but in Barcelona, I believe the preferred language among a slim majority is Catalan. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 19, 2017, 02:08:45 AM
I'm great man, eating croissants in Barcelona at the moment. Trump can't stop me

Oh man, I loved Barthelona!!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Quote from: Raza  on April 19, 2017, 11:07:32 AM
I'd say the vast majority do, but in Barcelona, I believe the preferred language among a slim majority is Catalan. 

Yeah, they're pretty prickly about Spanish cultural influence.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: shp4man on April 19, 2017, 11:02:04 AM
Just tell the waitress "Uno mas cervesa, por favor!"  :lol:
I don't drink anymore, unless I have to, like the free glass of wine they gave us at the flamenco show last night.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on April 19, 2017, 11:07:32 AM
I think tonight was the first time I heard someone throw out some "ths". Everyone speaks Spanish and enough English to make money off us tourists.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

shp4man

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 19, 2017, 01:35:06 PM
I don't drink anymore, unless I have to, like the free glass of wine they gave us at the flamenco show last night.

Well, that's what I would have told the waitress. Plus, would have added "Y un chupito de tequila, tambien!"

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on April 19, 2017, 11:02:04 AM
Just tell the waitress "Uno mas cervesa, por favor!"  :lol:

Whenever somebody says that, I grab Bud Light from the cooler as a joke.  Oh, you wanted Corona?  Fucking say so. 

shp4man

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 19, 2017, 04:45:09 PM
Whenever somebody says that, I grab Bud Light from the cooler as a joke.  Oh, you wanted Corona?  Fucking say so. 

"Uno mas cervesa Bohemia, por favor!"

Fixed it.  ;)

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

shp4man

Es la cervesa Mexicano mas bueno!

:lol:

Need Hector to back me up on this one. Sorry about Trump, Hector.  ;)

Raza

I'm a Negra Modelo guy. Though I don't really drink much beer anymore.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on April 19, 2017, 10:32:08 PM
I'm a Negra Modelo guy. Though I don't really drink much beer anymore.

I'm starting to like beer less and less.  It's a good social/party beverage when you're on a long haul, but it's starting to appeal to me less and less as a daily beverage, regardless of brand/kind.  Probably a good thing, really, as long as I don't switch to liquor. 

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 19, 2017, 11:29:22 PM
I'm starting to like beer less and less.  It's a good social/party beverage when you're on a long haul, but it's starting to appeal to me less and less as a daily beverage, regardless of brand/kind.  Probably a good thing, really, as long as I don't switch to liquor.

I only drink once or twice a week, if that, but I am definitely a hard liquor kind of guy.  Summer is the time of gin cocktails!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

TBR

Eh, I could see us going down to one car as long as I am in the job I am in now. But zero cars seems unlikely... not anywhere that I would want to live on a permanent basis.

TBR

Quote from: MrH on April 14, 2017, 08:46:47 AM
Lots of businesses move to the suburbs here.  Why pay more to be in a city, when all your employees live out in the suburbs anyways?

Within 2 miles of my house, there are 2 national HQs, and multiple other big company locations.

Because the suburbs are not a singular place. Yes, 90% of your employees might live in the suburbs. But that doesn't mean they all live in the same suburb. For example, Irving to Rockwall is 37 miles. Those are both suburbs of Dallas. Wouldn't it be better to based in between those two rather than in one or the other? Being in the city center also makes public transportation more viable for more people.

Not to mention being outside of the city can be a serious mark against some companies when recruiting talent. One of our chief competitors was in the suburbs for a long time (convenient for the partners), and it was a definite edge when recruiting against them. If there is a robust urban / residential area, then generally younger, more educated people are going to want to live there. At least until they can settle down. But, even when the do settle down, they would probably stay "within the perimeter" if they can afford to.

MrH

In Dayton, all the nice suburbs are south of town.  It's easier to drive between suburbs than through the city, so everyone just opens offices down here.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

TBR

I imagine the dynamics in a midsize city like Dayton are quite different than those of somewhere like Atlanta or Dallas, where suburban sprawl is a real issue. It's too hard to untangle Dallas from Fort Worth, but the Atlanta metro area has 7x the people and 5x the area compared to the Dayton metro area.