Started by Raza , April 26, 2017, 02:09:00 AM

Which dial color?

Silver
7 (70%)
Black
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Raza

Okay, so you guys all know that I'm finishing up law school.  Hopefully today I can hand in my final paper, and then I'm just waiting until commencement. 

As a thank you to my mom and brother, without whom I couldn't have made the leap, I'm getting them gifts for my graduation.  I already know what I'm getting my brother.  A Greg Maddux signed baseball and a Maddux Braves jersey, and maybe a signed hat if I can find one that's authenticated and in budget.  For my mom, I'm getting her a watch.  There's a story behind this, which I'll share if you'd like, but I know most of you don't go for the sentimental stuff, so I'll skip it for now.  I'm between these two watches:

They're identical except for the dial color.  I think the silver is a bit prettier than the black, but the black is more legible.  But then again, women generally just wear watches as jewelry anyway (and so do many men), so the time-telling function isn't as important as how good it looks. 

Anyway, which one do you think I should get her?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

68_427

Silver

But you should also get a Japanese waifu for yourself

Or at least her used panties from the vending machine

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

RomanChariot

I would go with the silver.

giant_mtb

Silver!  If it were for me, I'd go black, but for a woman, the silver fits better.

shp4man

So what will the gift be when you pass the BAR, a new Lexus?  :lol:

MrH

You graduate and give your family gifts?  That seems backwards to me :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on April 26, 2017, 02:09:00 AM
I already know what I'm getting my brother.  A Greg Maddux signed baseball and a Maddux Braves jersey, and maybe a signed hat if I can find one that's authenticated and in budget. 

:rockon:

I wish I were your brother.

Quote from: MrH on April 26, 2017, 11:25:30 AM

Honestly, I think Raza's way makes more sense.

Raza

Quote from: MrH on April 26, 2017, 11:25:30 AM

I'm getting a gift too, but I didn't want to bore you guys with that.

Seriously though, I couldn't have done it without them. It's going to be a total surprise to them.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Fact is, most graduates are broke.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

If your mother is anything like my wife, she'll want the black...and tell us the story.  Guys only pretend not to like sentimental stuff.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Cookie Monster

I personally prefer the black but agree silver probably works better for women's jewelry.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Payman

Raza

Quote from: Rockraven on April 27, 2017, 11:23:58 AM
A blue TAG Carrera.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it has to be an Omega and my mom doesn't really like to fiddle with automatic watches.  She has a Seiko SKX013 that she never wears because she hates having to set the time all the time. 

And, since FoMoJo asked:

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 26, 2017, 01:22:59 PM
If your mother is anything like my wife, she'll want the black...and tell us the story.  Guys only pretend not to like sentimental stuff.

Here's the story:

My grandfather, who died long before I was born, used to wear an Omega. He was a great man who has an airfield named after him.  He fought in Bangladesh's war of independence from Pakistan.  One of his last acts was to give my grandmother his Omega for safekeeping as he was taken away by the Pakistani military.  He was executed by them shortly after.  His watch sits in a safe deposit box, likely not working anymore.  My grandmother wore it for many years after he died, though, until she died. My mother always wanted my brother and me to have an Omega like her father did. My brother got a Planet Ocean chrono when he finished his CFA, I got a Speedmaster when I turned 25.

The thought occurred to me that, well, she didn't have an Omega herself. She likes watches--has a two-tone Aquaracer with an MOP dial and diamonds that she wears now and then and she also has an SKX013 which she wears sparingly because she doesn't like fiddling with the crown whenever she doesn't wear it for two days. Last year, I liquidated a large portion of my collection (more than 2/3rds, I'd say, I'd have to do an actual count) in order to fund a purchase for my Black Bay. I still have something left to get the axe and partially fund this purchase. As part of my graduation, I'm going to get her an Omega so she has one, just like her sons and her father.

And that's why it needs to be an Omega.  I'm going to give it to her just before I leave for commencement, so she can wear it for the first time on the day I graduate law school.  She didn't get to watch me walk in undergrad, since I skipped it for a job interview, and this will make the day extra special.  She'd never buy one for herself, and she'd stop me from buying it for her, especially if she knew I was selling one of my watches to help cover the cost. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Damn, now that's a story.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

veeman

Buy both.  Let her choose and return the other. 

Damn fine story...

veeman

If you don't have a large enough credit limit on your credit card to buy both, I would get the black.  On the black one, the OMEGA is readily visible.  Her friends can tell what she's wearing without looking close.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Interesting family history.

Great story.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

MrH

This is like the background story for a watch themed, time traveling super hero.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

dazzleman

Nice story, Raza.  And a very nice idea.  It reminds me of one of my mom's birthdays when I was about 10.  She gave each of us a gift on her birthday, and I asked why she was giving away gifts on a day she'd normally receive them.  Her answer was "It's better to give than to receive."

I voted black, but now that I know the whole story, I think silver is better.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Raza

It's arrived:

It's really nice. Tiny for me, but I think it'll be a really good fit for my mom.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

I like it. Looks better there than in the OP.

Lebowski

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

FoMoJo

I'm sure your Mom will love it. 

Raza

Thanks guys. I'm giving the watch to her this weekend.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on May 11, 2017, 08:29:54 AM
Thanks guys. I'm giving the watch to her this weekend.
Let know how that goes.  I would expect some emotion.

veeman

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 11, 2017, 08:38:49 AM
Let know how that goes.  I would expect some emotion.

I'm expecting tears of joy.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i