Auxiliary lamps

Started by Submariner, June 17, 2017, 12:04:22 PM

Submariner

Looking for some Brushguard/bumper mount auxiliary lamps.  300-500 watts output (or LED equivalent).  What am I looking at in terms of brands and installations?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Rupert

KC, PIAA, there are two or so high end LED brands (assuming you want high end)... It's just a matter of some Googling. No idea on installation, I always do that myself. I have standard KC 130W driving lights, they're bright.

Be careful with how they're aimed and how they're used-- quite a few people don't get those right and end up blinding everyone else. If you want to use them on the highway, wire them to go on and off with the high beams. Mine have two switches, one with the high beams and one without.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

ARB intensity, or knockoffs thereof.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Submariner

Quote from: Rupert on June 17, 2017, 01:06:27 PM
KC, PIAA, there are two or so high end LED brands (assuming you want high end)... It's just a matter of some Googling. No idea on installation, I always do that myself. I have standard KC 130W driving lights, they're bright.

Be careful with how they're aimed and how they're used-- quite a few people don't get those right and end up blinding everyone else. If you want to use them on the highway, wire them to go on and off with the high beams. Mine have two switches, one with the high beams and one without.

I've looked at KC/PIAA before...their LED lights seem to put out a low halogen equivalent, and lumen output isn't given.  Any idea what the other brands may be?

As for installation, is it something idiot me can do or am I better off simply paying for it to be done?

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Submariner on June 18, 2017, 08:01:18 PM
As for installation, is it something idiot me can do or am I better off simply paying for it to be done?

Aren't you the one with the electrical curse?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

I've looked at KC/PIAA before...their LED lights seem to put out a low halogen equivalent, and lumen output isn't given.  Any idea what the other brands may be?

PIAA has always been quality stuff. I've used a pair of their micro DEs on the Civic and really liked them. The wagon has a pair of old school Hella 550s on it behind the grille, and they've also worked well.

The key here is what exactly do you want/need? To see down the highway further, to see surrounding areas better, or to see better in low visibility conditions?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Submariner

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 19, 2017, 07:29:41 AM
The key here is what exactly do you want/need? To see down the highway further, to see surrounding areas better, or to see better in low visibility conditions?

To become Sol.

Soup DeVille

Rupert

If you can afford to pay and don't have a thing about doing your own wiring, get it done. Mounting is a PITA, and wiring takes a bit of a delicate touch, patience, and the right tools/bits/know-how to do it right.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA