A practical CUV for her *** Thread update, Rotor’s worst nightmare realized ***

Started by Lebowski, September 04, 2017, 08:41:55 AM

Lebowski

Honestly Acura isn't a brand I give much thought to. It's been a long time since they've produced anything I'd buy over the comparable Honda.  If the RDX was on the current CRV I guess it'd be worth a look, don't think I'd pay much of a premium for it though.  Haven't been many recent hondas I'd buy though, for that matter.

FoMoJo

I'd be looking at a Lincoln MKX/Ford Edge.  Bit of extra room makes a big difference and still not oversized.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

I don't see the point of having 2 SUVs in a place like Florida.  Have 1 to take the dogs and keep a car for the family... Strollers are designed for trunks
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 04, 2017, 03:43:09 PM
Barring the MDX, I don't get why anyone would buy an Acura over its equivalent Honda. Accord>TLX, CRV>RDX, Civic>>>ILX
I prefer the RDX and TLX. RDX does 0-60 in the low 6s... that's like 1.5s faster. TLX looks a million times better than the Accords. I agree that the ILX is less than good, especially compared to the 10th gen Civic (looks notwithstanding)
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CALL_911

Eh idk, RDX doesn't have a very "upmarket" interior imo. I was, on the other hand, very impressed by the new CRV I saw at the Honda dealer recently. Ditto the Civic.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 04, 2017, 06:22:03 PM

I don't see the point of having 2 SUVs in a place like Florida.  Have 1 to take the dogs and keep a car for the family... Strollers are designed for trunks

I don't really disagree with you, except she prefers driving an SUV. I guess I could sell the M3 and get a mainstreamer sedan for myself and she keeps driving the 4Runner, and I'd be fine with that, but we'd still have the significantly higher mileage driver in the gas guzzler SUV and one pushing 100k miles at that. A small SUV doesn't give up that much to a midsize sedan in terms of efficiency or cost of ownership, has more usable space, and is more inline with what she wants. Also, from a convenience factor it would be nice having either vehicle able to take the dogs.

From a purely optimized standpoint we'd have zero SUVs, something like a civic hatchback and a minivan.  We're not quite to that point.

Lebowski

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 04, 2017, 07:16:56 PM

Eh idk, RDX doesn't have a very "upmarket" interior imo. I was, on the other hand, very impressed by the new CRV I saw at the Honda dealer recently. Ditto the Civic.

Yeah, the new civic seems like a good car. Honda's product line was shit for years IMO, seems like they're finally getting it together.  Even the ridgeline is less terrible.

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on September 04, 2017, 08:08:39 PM

I don't really disagree with you, except she prefers driving an SUV. I guess I could sell the M3 and get a mainstreamer sedan for myself, and I'd be fine with that, but we'd still have the significantly higher mileage driver in the gas guzzler SUV and one pushing 100k miles at that. A small SUV doesn't give up that much to a midsize sedan in terms of efficiency or cost of ownership, has more usable space, and is more inline with what she wants. Also, from a convenience factor it would be nice having either vehicle able to take the dogs.

From a purely optimized standpoint we'd have zero SUVs, something like a civic hatchback and a minivan.  We're not quite to that point.

Just dump the 4 Runner for a more highway worthy and fuel efficient SUV and keep the M and make it a point of finding time to take trips to have fun with it as a family - shrug-

Look into a bmw X1... Good size and fuel mileage
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MexicoCityM3

How about an electric? Both your commutes are easily within the range of most electrics. An electric should be cheap to maintain in the long run and they are fun to drive in your real life circumstance. You can get a super cheap lease on an i3.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 04, 2017, 08:17:18 PM

Just dump the 4 Runner for a more highway worthy and fuel efficient SUV and keep the M and make it a point of finding time to take trips to have fun with it as a family - shrug-

Yeah, not sure what that accomplishes, this is the complete opposite of where I'm going here. 

Lebowski

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 04, 2017, 08:21:56 PM

How about an electric? Both your commutes are easily within the range of most electrics. An electric should be cheap to maintain in the long run and they are fun to drive in your real life circumstance. You can get a super cheap lease on an i3.

i3 is tiny, and expensive. If volt or bolt were better looking and packaged differently, maybe, at the right price, but in current form not interested. 

Big point here is I've (re)reached the conclusion that for the most part luxury/premium/high end cars simply aren't worth the cost and extra headache to me. "Buy more BMWs!" is not the answer.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Lebowski on September 04, 2017, 08:56:25 PM

i3 is tiny, and expensive. If volt or bolt were better looking and packaged differently, maybe, at the right price, but in current form not interested. 

Big point here is I've (re)reached the conclusion that for the most part luxury/premium/high end cars simply aren't worth the cost and extra headache to me. "Buy more BMWs!" is not the answer.

Hey, any electric would work. Personally, I'd get on the waitlist for a model 3. And specifically about the i3: you have the large 4runner. And look into those leases, it very likely has a lower TCO than the cars you are looking at.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Lebowski

Like this?  https://www.bmwusa.com/special-offers/lease.2017-BMW-i3-with-Range-Extender.html

Not a lower cost of ownership (leases never are) and based on 10k miles/yr when she drives 25k. i3 also too small.  Not interested in a lease.  Definitely not interested in a tesla.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on September 04, 2017, 08:17:18 PM

Lol... X1, CR-V etc are not SUVs, they are CUVs/crossovers. Like you said, they are in FL so an SUV is pointless. I agree. But the main benefits of a CUV/crossover vs a sedan have nothing to do with foul weather. For all intents and purposes crossovers are the new station wagons. As much as it hurts to hear something like a CR-V gives up little to nothing dynamically and efficiency-wise to something like an Accord, while being embarrassingly more practical. If you can afford it there is no point in getting a sedan as a main family car; crossovers and minivans are laughably better.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Lebowski

I think he's talking more about the 4Runner. Thing is, we do "need" one vehicle of about that size. X1 might have sufficient space for her (edit: or maybe not, see below) if we keep the 4Runner but is significantly too small as our largest vehicle.  Again, given I drive 6k miles a year to her 25k seems to make sense for me to daily drive the larger SUV, esp given its mileage (ie at only 6k miles a year, maybe 10k when you work in family duty that I'm not currently putting on the M3, we can keep the 4Runner for years if we choose to). 

Good metric of whether you should sell something is asking yourself would you buy it again today. I can say I would about the 4Runner, can't say that for the M3.  If owning an SUV in FL is wasteful then what's a high performance car that never gets pushed?

Quick google search shows X1 cargo volume 27/59.  CRV 39/76.  Highlander 14/42/83.  Haven't test drove the X1, who knows maybe she'd love it but I don't really consider it in the running. Don't see what it brings to the table other than badge, driving dynamics I'm sure are better but similar to the point w/ the M3 putzing around town in traffic or cruising on the highway does it really matter?  X1 is significantly more expensive similarly equipped and has significantly less space ... if we were to bump up the price range the highlander at least offers more space, but by those numbers not all that much (I realize cubic ft #s don't always translate perfectly to real world usefulness).

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-honda-cr-v-in-depth-model-review-2017-honda-cr-v-cargo-space-and-storage-review-car-and-driver-page-7

MrH

This thread makes me sad, but I've basically come to the same conclusion.  Vast majority of my driving is spent driving 33 miles each way to work and back.  And it's through highway traffic pretty much the whole time.  The 4Runner just does it so much better than a sports car of some sort.

I think that's why the incredibly fast cars really don't appeal to me as much anymore.  I could go get a C6 corvette or something, but I'm not really going to drive it any faster than the S2000 really.  It's a waste.  In fact, even the S2000 is too much for a lot of public roads.  I can't even hit Vtec in a lot of situations.  I still like the idea of a fun car, but I want max smiles for the conditions I drive in.  In that sense, Miatas are actually better than the S2000 I think.

I think you should test drive an ND just to see what it's like.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Lebowski

Quote from: MrH on September 05, 2017, 07:24:41 AM

This thread makes me sad, but I've basically come to the same conclusion.  Vast majority of my driving is spent driving 33 miles each way to work and back.  And it's through highway traffic pretty much the whole time.  The 4Runner just does it so much better than a sports car of some sort.

I think that's why the incredibly fast cars really don't appeal to me as much anymore.  I could go get a C6 corvette or something, but I'm not really going to drive it any faster than the S2000 really.  It's a waste.  In fact, even the S2000 is too much for a lot of public roads.  I can't even hit Vtec in a lot of situations.  I still like the idea of a fun car, but I want max smiles for the conditions I drive in.  In that sense, Miatas are actually better than the S2000 I think.

I think you should test drive an ND just to see what it's like.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Maybe we need a carspin gtg driving school for everyone who has come to the unthusiast conclusion for daily driving.

I think I'd like the ND too, but again I'm not even entertaining 3 cars right now.

68_427

Quote from: Lebowski on September 05, 2017, 07:33:34 AM

Maybe we need a carspin gtg driving school for everyone who has come to the unthusiast conclusion for daily driving.

I think I'd like the ND too, but again I'm not even entertaining 3 cars right now.

It's really only like 2.5 cars
'racecar is die'
no

Lebowski

Quote from: 68_427 on September 05, 2017, 07:37:15 AM

It's really only like 2.5 cars

I'm currently trying to work 2 cars into a 1.5 car garage, and I'm bad enough at keeping 2 cars clean.

Plan is no more than 2 cars in the household til the 9 y/o is driving.

MrH

Quote from: Lebowski on September 05, 2017, 07:33:34 AM

I'd be up for something like that.  I'm doing the Porsche driving experience in Atlanta in November.

The 3 car garage isn't nearly as bad to deal with as I thought it would be.  Space is the biggest concern.  If they're all newer cars, the upkeep isn't too awful.  You need to post pictures of your new place so we can all Monday Morning Quarterback your garage situation.  I'm sure there's a side yard where we can all place a hypothetical second garage for you.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

68_427

Quote from: MrH on September 05, 2017, 08:16:37 AM
I'd be up for something like that.  I'm doing the Porsche driving experience in Atlanta in November.

The 3 car garage isn't nearly as bad to deal with as I thought it would be.  Space is the biggest concern.  If they're all newer cars, the upkeep isn't too awful.  You need to post pictures of your new place so we can all Monday Morning Quarterback your garage situation.  I'm sure there's a side yard where we can all place a hypothetical second car port for you.

Get your 'spin in check man
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Honda just unveiled a hybrid CRV set to debut at the Frankfurt motor show.  Maybe check to see if that's going to come here?
'racecar is die'
no

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 05, 2017, 05:57:43 AM
Lol... X1, CR-V etc are not SUVs, they are CUVs/crossovers. Like you said, they are in FL so an SUV is pointless. I agree. But the main benefits of a CUV/crossover vs a sedan have nothing to do with foul weather. For all intents and purposes crossovers are the new station wagons. As much as it hurts to hear something like a CR-V gives up little to nothing dynamically and efficiency-wise to something like an Accord, while being embarrassingly more practical. If you can afford it there is no point in getting a sedan as a main family car; crossovers and minivans are laughably better.

The thing is, while SUVs have great cargo capacities on paper, it's only when you stack shit to the roof when you have that advantage over a sedan.

So things like dogs and odd shaped items, SUVs are great and I agree it's good to have in a family.  But for routine stuff, baby strollers, even a kids bike - my wife's focus probably has as much or more cargo space then my Jeep. More up to a midsized sedan and to match the trunk space (length x width) in a CUV it would take one hell of a large CUV.

In my mind, replace the 4 Runner with something newer with equal space and keep the M.  A extremely low mileage M will retain its value and the trunk space is fine for family duties... and take it on some nice trips to enjoy it with the family. 

Hell, my now  11yr old begs to take rides and go places in my RX8 over out other vehicles. He loves riding in a "race car".  Raise your 9 year old to be an enthusiast!

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 05, 2017, 08:33:42 AM

The thing is, while SUVs have great cargo capacities on paper, it's only when you stack shit to the roof when you have that advantage over a sedan.

:hammerhead:

No.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Rich on September 05, 2017, 08:51:34 AM
Is there a reason you don't track or autocross the M3?

This. An M car that never sees that kind of use is 90% wasted in the US.

Join a club.

I totally see Lebowski's rationale for his situation however. Cars are meant for driving. I enjoy my cars at the track and also on a lot of highway/country drives. Just my new somewhat frequent Mexico City - Leon commute takes me on roads where I can use them a bit.

In my case there's also a bit of a collector bug, which is a different kind of thing.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

2o6

The X1 is too tight; why are y'all reccomending it? It's spacious for it's size, but it's more comparable to the HR-V rather than the CRV

Lebowski

Quote from: Rich on September 05, 2017, 08:51:34 AM

Is there a reason you don't track or autocross the M3?

Just don't have much interest in it, barely have time for my existing hobbies not really looking to add more.  If I did drive on a track I'd rather it not be in my own dd.

Rich

Quote from: Lebowski on September 05, 2017, 09:11:51 AM

Just don't have much interest in it, barely have time for my existing hobbies not really looking to add more.  If I did drive on a track I'd rather it not be in my own dd.

But you enjoy driving spiritedly? Autocross is a much safer environment, cheaper, and lends itself to more friendships as you're doing corner work. You're not going to wad the M3 up in an autocross

The only thing you need is a helmet and a day. I'm sure the family would have fun taking turns as passengers. You joined an auto message board. Seems like there'd be more than enough interest in performance driving. You do you though
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT