Mercedes AMG Debuts 1000HP Project One: The King Has Arrived

Started by cawimmer430, September 11, 2017, 01:14:26 PM

cawimmer430

Mercedes AMG Debuts 1000HP Project One: The King Has Arrived

After a long period of teasing and playing with shadows, the new Mercedes AMG Project finally made its world debut as the world's first road legal car with a Formula 1 powertrain.

Power comes from a reworked version of the hybrid system found in the W08 F1 car, including the turbocharged 1.6-liter V6 engine and no less than four electric motors.

The two front electric motors are state-of-the-art units, being capable of revving up to 50,000rpm when the current best motors in the market rev up to 20,000rpm. The third electric motor is integrated into the turbocharger while the fourth one is mounted directly on the combustion engine.

Link: http://www.carscoops.com/2017/09/mercedes-amg-debuts-1000hp-project-one.html

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

That is fantastic.

... and a great stick in the eye of those who say supercars can't have V6s with 1.6L of fury...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

cawimmer430

Quote from: r0tor on September 11, 2017, 01:20:28 PM
That is fantastic.

... and a great stick in the eye of those who say supercars can't have V6s with 1.6L of fury...

It's basically a street legal F1 car (how they got this to be street legal would be interesting...). BMW back in the 70s had a 1.5-l turbo 4-cylinder engine which won them many races in both F1 and F2 with Brabham, I believe.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

I was hoping for it to be open wheel. Could that even be street legal?

Everyone was bitching about the closed cockpits... I thought they were fucking beautiful personally.

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Galaxy

From a technical point of view it sounds interesting, but looks wise I think the Aston Martin/Red Bull Hypercar looks better.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 11, 2017, 01:53:45 PM
I was hoping for it to be open wheel. Could that even be street legal?

Everyone was bitching about the closed cockpits... I thought they were fucking beautiful personally.

I think it'd need motorcycle fenders at least. Isn't that what Ariel Atoms have?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

veeman

2.7 million dollars each.  275 to be built and all have been already bought even though the car won't be available for at least 18 months.

So I guess this will dethrone Bugatti.

Tave

Quote from: veeman on September 16, 2017, 10:18:20 PM
2.7 million dollars each.  275 to be built and all have been already bought even though the car won't be available for at least 18 months.

So I guess this will dethrone Bugatti.

Dethrone it at what?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Galaxy

Quote from: veeman on September 17, 2017, 11:45:34 AM
Being the bestest supercar.

Would not go that far. While the Mercedes should spank the Chiron in the handling department, the Bugatti should still have the edge in terms of top speed, and perhaps acceleration. Also the Bugatti is a hypercar with an interior that would give Rolls Royce a run for their money, which neither the Mercedes nor the Aston/Red Bull does. 

r0tor

Quote from: Galaxy on September 16, 2017, 01:46:02 PM
From a technical point of view it sounds interesting, but looks wise I think the Aston Martin/Red Bull Hypercar looks better.

I really hope to see some incredible comparisons of the Aston and the Merc
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

cawimmer430

The performance is just insane.

On paper, the Mercedes-AMG Project One appears extraordinary. It uses a modified 2015 F1-spec 1.6-liter turbocharged V6 engine that's joined by two electric motors at the front, one electric motor bolted to the engine and a fourth coupled to the turbocharger. This results in over 1,000 hp and a 0-124 mph (200 km/h) time of less than six seconds.

Link: http://www.carscoops.com/2017/09/lewis-hamilton-says-project-one-will.html

www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

Imagine trying to get a 1,000+hp street car to launch 0-124mph in <6 seconds ten years ago before launch control was a thing.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 17, 2017, 02:24:17 PM
Imagine trying to get a 1,000+hp street car to launch 0-124mph in <6 seconds ten years ago before launch control was a thing.

I remember 13 years ago trying to get a 10 second quarter mile in Gran Turismo. It was hard.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 16, 2017, 02:31:45 PM
I think it'd need motorcycle fenders at least. Isn't that what Ariel Atoms have?
Oh yea, the whole rain thing :lol: That would be enough for me

If I'm getting F1 for the road I want it to be immediately obvious to automotive civilians.

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

r0tor

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on September 29, 2017, 06:15:39 PM
"Tron Legacy"-like promo video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du8h0Rs6Hp0

Did Michael Bay direct this clip? Felt like an upcoming Transformers movie. :lol:

On a side note, the AMG Project One would make a great Decepticon:rockon:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

r0tor

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 30, 2017, 05:02:15 AM

Did Michael Bay direct this clip? Felt like an upcoming Transformers movie. :lol:

On a side note, the AMG Project One would make a great Decepticon:rockon:

I might even go see it if Lewis Hamilton was the star

cawimmer430

Quote from: r0tor on September 30, 2017, 08:14:11 AM
I might even go see it if Lewis Hamilton was the star

Maybe redo the whole Transformers genre... have it take place in the UK and make Lewis Hamilton the star instead of Shia LaBeouf or Mark Wahlberg! :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 30, 2017, 05:02:15 AM

I was thinking more like circa-2008 JJ Abrams with his Parkinsons-addled cameramen.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Fuck, I'm going to be thinking about that roll damper all night. I still don't get how tension = compression but that's brilliant

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 30, 2017, 08:58:40 PM
Fuck, I'm going to be thinking about that roll damper all night. I still don't get how tension = compression but that's brilliant

Yeah, trying to figure it out by looking at one main angle is pretty difficult. I need to play with it and be able to compress stuff, turn the wheels to see how the double ball joint on top of the knuckle reacts, etc.

My best explanation for tension = compression is that the second spring is in a pocket connected to the bellcrank. So when the bellcranks are rotated, the damper pulls against the spring and compresses it.

I don't know why they couldn't figure out a way to make a single spring work in tension. You'd just need a different style spring hat.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Ah ok, so the end of the spring further from the bellcrank = fixed and there is some kind of top hat on the damper close to the bellcrank that compresses the spring in tension. Seems needlessly complex :lol:

One spring could work- IF when the suspension is at "zero" there is no preload on it. If there is any kind of preload adjustment for roll they would need two springs. Either way I want this conversion on my G :lol:

r0tor

The setup appears to me to be trying to desperately incorporate a 3rd "heave" spring while fitting into a small packaging window dictated by the electric motors and aero.  The thing I really don't get is a heave spring is only really useful when you are dealing with massive aero loading... I just don't see anything to suggest this thing is going to have a massive aero potential unless there is even a more hardcore version in the works?

It looks only they have (on what they have shown) a traditional front splitter and slightly compromised rear diffuser.  The only thing that stands out to me are the active vents on the wheel wells.  Maybe there is something else they are hiding... Or some insane top speed?

Looking at the Aston setup, that thing is actually running and actual front wing and an actual F1 style front undertray (actual name escapes me now) and a massive rear diffuser.  That thing is looking to make phenominal downforce.